Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modest public breastfeeding + big bbs

I don't have large bbs, but I do have to say that I got a lot more comfortable with feeding in public the more I did it. I can definitely understand wanting to be discreet, especially when you are still getting used to it all. And it's even harder when you feel pressure from your own partner or family.

I do think it's a shame though that we feel the need to cover up or go to a parents' room because the more we do that, the more opportunities we are missing for showing breastfeeding to be natural - which it is. Some children never see a baby breastfeeding and it's such a shame. I have to admit that by the time I was feeding DS2, I just fed wherever I was - I only used the parents' room if I had to go to the loo or change a nappy as well. I have fed on the floor of Coles, Woolies, Big W, Target etc - and I have to say that feeding on the floor of a white goods store ended up being the only way to get served! But as I say, it took some time to get to that level of comfort. And my favourite breastfeeding experience was in a local village in Vanuatu where the local women lifted my top up to see better. That might sound off-putting to you now, but I was so used to feeding by then and TBH I found it really refreshing that there was no need to "hide" and that my breastfeeding was seen as the natural act that it was.

Probably none of this helps you very much, except to let you know that what you are feeling is really normal. In fact I used to dread feeding outside the home at that stage so I think you are doing an amazing job. The other thing you can do is look for breastfeeding clothing. There are some really, really good clothes out there now designed for breastfeeding women so maybe that would be of some help to you. Anyway, keep up the great work hun, and know that it will get easier - both as baby gets better at feeding and as you get more used to it.

I have small boobs and I find bfing in public a challenge. Both my girls loved to come on and off the boob constantly so my nipples always got exposed.

Great thread. I haven't BF in public yet, I have big boobs too. I don't know how to get her on without flashing to the world but one's she's on you can't see much.

I hated getting my boobs out even at home to start with!!!! We had visitors EVERY day for the first 2.5weeks and DD had major bf issues (didnt actually bf properly till 11days) so I was flashing like nobodys business for a while there!

I have Ecups and am quite big so my issues were body as well as boob related. I also could only do football hold for the first few months. I found that harder as you need two hands so how do you hold your clothes modestly at the same time. I found putting a folded up cloth nappy or chunky flannel under my boob helped hold it in the right spot so that I had a hand free for arranging clothing/muslins etc.

Wearing 2layers was not an option for me as it was high summer and I am a hot person anyhow. Also I always found baby rooms WAY too hot!!! I also found using a muslin more bother than its worth most of the time as it made it so hard to get a fussy hungry newborn on properly with not being able to see. I did buy a couple of bf tops and found them great. I used to "save" wearing them for public outings as they really expose very little when baby is on.

My experience is that it will be MUCH easier when bub is a little older. You wont have to get boobie out and exposed before using both hands to manouver a floppy, angry, attention grabbing by screaming baby onto it. When DD got to around 3months I could manage cradle hold which makes things easier to cover up plus she pretty much put herself on by that age. Their head covers much more by then too.

Sorry I couldnt offer many suggestions but I hope my experiences helped. I fed DD pretty much anywhere too, on the floor in the pub pool room one time!!! (It was quiet at that time of day)

I think it's usually worth not being modest in the initial getting attached bit, just get that bit right. Then cover everything up if you want to - a huge t-shirt is pretty effective. For me, trying to be discreet when attaching usually results in milk spraying everywhere and I draw much more attention than I do if I don't worry about discretion and just get on with it.

My DH is so supportive and says to me that I should just do it wherever, whenever but I'm not that confident!! I wish I could do it in the foodcourt of the shops but I go to the parents room (that stinks of poo!!! ) one day I will conquer my fears and just do it!

I wear one of those bonds belly bands like a boob tube and have that under my top so it covers my tummy and when i lift my shirt up you can't see my tummy! (i have stretmarks to hide )

Good thread Sterla I also have huge boobs, they get in the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Kmn View Post
    For me, trying to be discreet when attaching usually results in milk spraying everywhere and I draw much more attention than I do if I don't worry about discretion and just get on with it.
    Oh that was me too. I remember trying to do it subtly in a food court and it was a nightmare. i had the muslin thing going on but it was getting inthe way and i couldnt see. DD was screaming cause I was taking too long, there was milk running all over my clothes. I got so hot and flustered and it ended up with EVERYONE seeing it all cause I had drawn that much attention then had to abandon the modesty to just get her on properly! Ah the memories

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12