Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not enjoying breast feeding...

Debbie my breasts are mammoth too & the dark aereola, yep that's me!!!

I only fed for a week as i had pain from the actual top of my nipple cracking & splitting, Maddy was vomiting blood from my breast milk & she was not getting enough!!!
    I then bottle fed & got sleep, knew what she was gettiong & felt more in control. I am going to try breast feeding this one too, but if it doesn't work atleast I know not to feel guilty this time!!!

I hope you are feeling better!!!!

Hi Debbie,

Good on you for perservering, and I agree it is lovely to have that skin contact - a fantastic bonding time. I thought it was cute when my baby would tap his little hand while concentrating on feeding.

BTW, I found Lansinol helped a lot re cracked nipples...

Although I'm a breastfeeding advocate, I absolutely agree that each mum needs to decide what they're comfortable with - as the saying says "if momma aint happy, nobody's happy"

Hey Deb,

Hope you are feeling OK about this now - whatever decision you decide to make.
    I sort of look at it a bit differently. There are some people who would love to feed, and can't - and if I can, I really should?

I've been close to tears that many times with Jenna attaching - the first few sucks are absolute agony because I have grazed nipples which nothing is helping.

I can slowly feel my milk settling down - even after only 2 weeks. I dont have anywhere near the number of leaks, and I dont have to express before a feed anymore - unless she goes longer than 4hrs between feeds.

If your little girl is pooing, weeing and putting on weight, you are giving her enough, and I'm finding that a booby will settle her where nothing else can too! And the convenience..... My god - I have been able to do trips already that I didn't think possible. I've flopped them out in the car a few times now, and probided I'm armed with face-washers, we get through it OK.

BTW - I think if I had a bottle and formula, I would be more conscious of how much she was drinking whereas with my boobies, I know when she falls asleep, and wont suck anymore, she's probably had enough! I have no idea on mls - but she seems to be contented.

Good luck - hope you feel good about your decisions - whatever they are. Dont let anyone else make you feel stink about it!
    Fi

Hey Fi when I was actually breastfeeding (well attempting to) I ended up with massive blisters. The ECHN suggested putting saline on them which you can get in little vials at the chemist. It worked really really well.

Fi, I have been using Lansinol too. It works great on sore nipples. The other thing they say to do is to rub some of your hind milk into your nipples after you have finished a feed, it suposed to work good too. HTH
    I love the convenience of bfing for sure. I don't have to worry if I have enough bottles out with me or being able to warm them up. Give me a seat and I'm right

Take care
    Trish

When the twins were little, they fed one at a time for about 45 mins each ( were only 4pd 11 ) and I didn't even sit down half the time ( mum was disgusted when walking around Target she realised I had a baby under my top!!!)

LOL Vanita, maybe if my babies were abit lighter I could do that too. After about 5 minutes of holding them up to the boob they get abit heavy and my arms need a rest. My Mum would laugh at me if I did that, I don't think she'd be horrified at all. God help the person that did say something to me though if she were with me.

Take care
    Trish

Well she was not "disgusted" I guess more exasperated???IYKWIM it was like, " oh god your NOT doing that here in the middle of target are you!!"She never was embarrassed or preturbed if I did it in the middle of the food court whilst having a drink, I think it was coz I didnt take the time to sit down, and do it properly!!

Debbie Lee Guest

I used to see women walking around kmart BFing all the time. I thought it was great that they could shop and feed at the same time! I would think "Good on em!". There's no way I would be able to do that!

Fi - I hear you on all the positives there. I think that's why I am still going with it - the pure convienience. You are right - if Gabby is weeing and pooing, then she is getting enough (even with 1 bottle but I doubt that would make a difference).

katanya Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofbundlezofjoy
    When the twins were little, they fed one at a time for about 45 mins each ( were only 4pd 11 ) and I didn't even sit down half the time ( mum was disgusted when walking around Target she realised I had a baby under my top!!!)
    LOL that is fantastic!! I wish I had boobs that allowed me to walk and feed! Mine are too big!

I really did grow into my love for breastfeeding, at the beginning I used to think - this will get easier, this will get easier and it did..MUCH..

I was embarressed to feed in public because I have large breasts, and thought everyone was looking at me. Now I will feed almost anywhere and proudly.

The many times I could stay out all day because I breastfed I cant count, because all I needed were nappies, no need to find a place to heat a bottle up etc...there is enough of all that when you start solids, I actually hated the inconvience of solids once we started because I was so used to no preparation!

I too found it hard to quatify the amount he was getting, but as others have said, just trust the nappies, they are all that matters, those growth charts are outdated and for formula fed babies from the 50's so not suitable for breastfed babies.

Don't feel guilty for your decision to comp feed, if it works for you, then it is right..never let someone else lay their ideas on you, we have enough guilt as it is without adding someone elses!

It WILL get easier, it IS worth it, more than just feeding wise, the first time your baby is sick you will be more than thankful that you are still feeding. Well I am anyhow, it makes me feel better that I can do something even if it's just offering my antibodies..

I think your decision to take it step by step is a great one, a year seems like a long time (it really isn't when you have a baby who is nearly 1 ) but those first few months, every day is monumental.

I dont have big boobs, I have ginormous ones!! lOl 18II normally, 20 H when pg/BF, but have had them long enough to realise people will stare at them even if fully dressed ( IYKWIM) so went stuff it, and flash n bare whenever!! :-s I too liked the convenience , and when it came to solid taught my lot to eat it cold, so didnt have to look for heating facilities!!

Deb, I wish I had of seen your post earlier. You sound EXACTLY like me when Aidan was the same age. People would ask me how hard work it was having a baby, and I said the ONLY hard thing was breastfeeding. I'll never forget how hard I thought everything was in the first month. Aidan was big and hungry and before my milk came in he was recommended to be there sucking to stimulate supply - it hurt so much I would sob in pain. Anyway..... I bought a breat pump and that was my first step to feeling guily. I returned to b/f instead of expressing as soon as my nipples were better which only took a few days, but it was funny, I then found myself expressing for no reason and bottle feeding Aidan! I was so over b/f that I found a way to avoid it without Aidan missing out on the goodies! I think for me this really helped, I had a great supply so was able to express and store in fridge and freezer which came in handy when ppl would drop over or when we went out (I dont know why, but I just cant get my boob out, I feel SO self concious, which I hated myself for but couldnt change). I think Aidan was about 3 months when I decided on a comp feed (2nd step to guilt), and now, at 4 months, I b/f twice a day and formula feed twice a day. Personally I am really enjoying this routine and I feel now that I am happy I may continue to b/f for a lot longer than I would have if I was solely b/f. Having said that, I dont want to recommend giving it up, as I can easily imagine missing it once I stop. Persevere for as long as YOU can (dont worry about other opinions, who cares!)

HTH

Jess

katanya Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jessica123
    I bought a breat pump and that was my first step to feeling guily. I returned to b/f instead of expressing as soon as my nipples were better which only took a few days, but it was funny, I then found myself expressing for no reason and bottle feeding Aidan! I was so over b/f that I found a way to avoid it without Aidan missing out on the goodies! I think for me this really helped, I had a great supply so was able to express and store in fridge and freezer which came in handy when ppl would drop over or when we went out (I dont know why, but I just cant get my boob out, I feel SO self concious, which I hated myself for but couldnt change). I think Aidan was about 3 months when I decided on a comp feed (2nd step to guilt), and now, at 4 months, I b/f twice a day and formula feed twice a day. Personally I am really enjoying this routine and I feel now that I am happy I may continue to b/f for a lot longer than I would have if I was solely b/f.
    Jess you should feel no guilt, a baby gets just as much benefits from expressed milk as directly from the breast, and if it helped you keep feeding then it's all good! Also comp feeding makes sense if you are attached to a pump all day..

I heard at the ABA that with even one feed of breastmilk a day a baby gets the antibodies that make the big difference between formula and breastmilk

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks Jessica. It does help to know that others feel the same way. I really like doing the comp feed too. Gabby knows that her night time bottle means it's time for sleep and she zonks it for a good 5-7 hours at night. It has kept me sane! Thanks for telling me your story.
    Katanya - you are so right. Some breast milk is better than nothing, hey? That's what I figure. Gabby is getting BM all day and only being topped up at night (sometimes she barely drinks half the bottle). That's better than if I completely give up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12