MJ stopped around 9 weeks and was sleeping approx 10-12hrs a night...
However around 7months she must have gone through a growth spurt and started to need it again, sometimes 2 feeds overnight.
At 10 months i stopped offering unless she was very upset or seemed hungry, i.e. i would try resettling first instead of just getting her up and giving her a feed... in the first week i think that she would have a feed every second night, the following week she had one feed and now she doesnt have any feeds (though she still wakes twice at night - but settles back to sleep within 5 mins with minimal fuss)
I think when she started she NEEDED the feeds, but it became a habit and she ended up using it tp go off to sleep, but also in this time we had a bout of Gastro and she again needed the feeds overnight and then we were away camping where it was so cold at night she again NEEDED the feeds as she was probably using so much energy keeping warm.
My DS still does. Sometimes it's just to settle, but he does generally have at least one 'real' feed each night.
I think it's still pretty common at 5 months. They're all different so you just have to use your judgement for your baby as to when they need it or don't.
I stopped offering feeds overnight at 10 months as DD was waking every half hour for feeds (actually feeding to resettle more than needing a feed) on the advice of a nurse. After a night or two of issues, DD was fine and slept much better. If I was to do it all again with her, I would have started to drop night feeds at about 8 months.
My DS dropped the 3am feed at about 5.5 - 6 months. So was going from 11pm to 8am by 6 months. And he self weaned that one... He just stopped waking up in the night for it. He tried to reinstate it about two weeks after he dropped it, but I was able to resettle without the boob, and we have not looked back.
But.... after he dropped the 3am feed, I weaned him to a bottle (ff) gradually over the next month...
BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
Jun 2004
The Festival State
3,008
my dd is two
she feeds to sleep around 8pm
she wakes up around midnight/1am and needs a proper feed before she can go back to sleep until breakfast time.
i really think it depends on the individual bub.
she needed feeds every two - three hours until 18 months old. i found that exhausting. really helps if your partner is supportive. to bring baby to you in bed etc.
My seven month old still feeds at least twice between 11pm and 6am, often more than that. I am not sure whether it's hunger or comfort, but when he nurses he chows down a full meal. I don't feed to sleep, I always put him down awake...
Bookmarks