thread: When did you stop feeding (breast) your baby overnight?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Feb 2008
    1,163

    I stopped offering feeds overnight at 10 months as DD was waking every half hour for feeds (actually feeding to resettle more than needing a feed) on the advice of a nurse. After a night or two of issues, DD was fine and slept much better. If I was to do it all again with her, I would have started to drop night feeds at about 8 months.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    Melbourne
    1,628

    My DD stopped feeding over night at 3 months and for the last 2 weeks has picked up a night feed again. Not sure how long it will last. HTH.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Dec 2006
    Out of my mind. Back in five minutes...
    3,304

    My DS dropped the 3am feed at about 5.5 - 6 months. So was going from 11pm to 8am by 6 months. And he self weaned that one... He just stopped waking up in the night for it. He tried to reinstate it about two weeks after he dropped it, but I was able to resettle without the boob, and we have not looked back.

    But.... after he dropped the 3am feed, I weaned him to a bottle (ff) gradually over the next month...

  4. #4
    BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

    Jun 2004
    The Festival State
    3,008

    my dd is two

    she feeds to sleep around 8pm

    she wakes up around midnight/1am and needs a proper feed before she can go back to sleep until breakfast time.

    i really think it depends on the individual bub.

    she needed feeds every two - three hours until 18 months old. i found that exhausting. really helps if your partner is supportive. to bring baby to you in bed etc.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Oct 2007
    157

    My seven month old still feeds at least twice between 11pm and 6am, often more than that. I am not sure whether it's hunger or comfort, but when he nurses he chows down a full meal. I don't feed to sleep, I always put him down awake...

  6. #6
    BellyBelly Member
    Add Tobily on Facebook

    May 2004
    Brisbane
    1,814

    My daughter stopped overnight feeds of her own accord at 10 weeks old.

    My son only recently stopped them just after his second birthday when he finally began to sleep through all night. I didn't change anything, he just stopped waking up.

    Look out in the morning though, the second his feet hit the floor he is straight into my bed to catch up

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Add Dragonbub on Facebook

    Feb 2006
    Perth WA
    900

    DS stopped at 12 weeks when he slept through, but took them up again at 6 months through to about 12 months. But then it was only once and he went straight back to sleep again. TBH I really loved that time of the night when it was just the two of us snuggled up together.