Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another bub not gaining weight

Unhappy Another bub not gaining weight

I have put this same thread in the BFing chatter thread but thought i'd try it in here too.

Hi all i am feeling really disheartened with Bfing today.

I go to a play group at my local community centre where my MCHN is located and popped in to say hello as i know her through having my first DD and go to lots of her workshops etc with my toddler. I havent weighed my DD in the last 4 weeks and thought i'd pop her on the scales and she hasnt put any weight on and infact has lost 48g. My MCHN is quite concerned. She is a very unsettled bub but i demand feed her and she has at least 6-8 feeds a day ususally just the one side but i do offer the 2nd. She has 4-6 wet nappies a day although they are not that full iykwim (she is in disposables) My MCHN has told me to start taking Fenugreek (which i have taken before when i had gastro though only for 2-3 days) and to try to feed as often as i can even if she isnt demanding to be fed. She has requested i go back and have her weight checked next week and we will go from there- Now i am really scared.

So far her weigh ins have gone-
    birth- 3.005
    17 days old- 3.32
    4/52- 3.66
    6/52- 3.94
    8/52- 4.050
    12/52- 4.002
    All her weight apart from birth was done on the same set of scales so i do not think it is an indifference in scales. My MCHN also said that she knows her scales are spot on as she had them calibrated yesterday and does so monthly.
    What else can i do?? i am so worried. Everyone around me is telling me to put her on formular. I DONT want to i am enjoying bfing and dont want to fail at it again. My heart is breaking i feel like i am failing her.

Thanks Jodie for your response. I am taking Fenugreek in the hope to up supply. My dd is often very unsettled however will not feed when she is like this, its like a pain cry and she is very windy. This afternoon i have tried to feed her as much as i can but she will suck once or twice then refuse the breast so i dont think she is overly hungry as such. I know she is getting milk as she will throw up small amounts after a feed and i can feel the diff in my BB after a feed. I dont know if you took my comment about failing as a dig at FF'er's but if you did i am sorry that wasnt my intention i have no problem with FFing but had major issues feeding DD1 and put her on formula before i really wanted to so this time around my heart is set on BFing and its something i really want to do. Of course if its not in my DD's best interest and formula is then i will of course supplement and top up etc but because of my past exp with dd1 i am scared to introduce formula and think it could mark the beginning of the end of Bfing for me iykwim. Again thanks for your reply i keep checking to see if anyone has responded but i think its a bit late i am a perthie so its not as late here.

Hoody - firstly a *hug* for you. That would have been a bit of a shock to see she's lost weight I'm very impressed with your CHN for encouraging the extra feeds instead of formula! There should be more nurses out there like that!

I don't have specific advice for you, except perhaps get in touch with the ABA and see a LC asap. I'd visit the GP too to rule out anything sinister that could affect bub's gains (and make sure the GP knows you don't want to jeopordise your breastfeeding). Don't doubt the quality or quantity of your milk.. remember the more you feed, the more you make. You were able to nourish your baby in the womb, your body knows what it's doing making milk too

I notice Barb usually posts early in the morning, so you will probably have a reply from her when you wake up

You're doing a great job, I'm sure you'll find a way to continue breastfeeding, and will go on to feed for a long long time Just seek out all the help you can.

HI,

Your heart goes through the floor when you get news like that, doesn't it? Especially when you thought things were going well. The great news is that it's completely possible to build up your supply, and it is pretty easy to do.
    As you have already guessed, giving her both breasts at every feed is important - it will just about double her milk intake alone. Once she gets the hang of it you will find that she wants both breasts all the time. It's tried and true advice, but can you spend a few days really concentrating on feeding her? Put her in bed with you - send all the visitors away, get some magazines or DVDs you like and just feed her.
    Her weight gains have been quite low previously - has the health nurse mentioned that? It would be an extremely good investment to see a good LC (there are plenty in Perth) and join your local ABA group.
    BTW, milk "not being good enough quality" is a myth. It's all fine. Generally, it's just an intake thing - baby is not taking enough milk
    Barb

Hoody, I just wanted to pop in and give you my support

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been offered but I just want to stress how much difference it can make if you see a LC - I went to see one with DD as she was starting to refuse the breast and the situation was becoming very stressful, I was expressing every feed and giving her a bottle and it was spiraling to the point that I thought if I didn't get help, I would have ended up weaning her. I got help, and we worked on our feeding and I fed my baby girl till she was 16 months.

Aww its hard being a mummy isnt it> all this worry they put you through.

I agree with the other ladies go see you;re GP to rule out anything and maybe have a chat with you're GP or MCHN to see what you can do to help her put on weight

Jodie - could she possibly have been of the generation that were told to feed every four hours for only 10 mins a side? I know my babies wouldn't gain weight with a rigid schedule like that. Mum only lasted a few months with me because she was feeding to a schedule. I'm so grateful they are ridding breastfeeding advice of all this scientific 'control'. The need to measure and control has been so detrimental to breastfeeding, and in turn detrimental to breastfeeding advice & info passed down to the next generations.

Kayla lost a LOT of weight in her first week, 500g or something like that, and I had to stay strong to not let the nurses give her any formula.. especially being prem.. last thing I wanted in her immature tummy! Thankfully they had to have written consent from me in order to give formula, so it was up to me to get that milk in! Pumping and pumping.. takes some work, but you can get that supply up. I had to do it without Kayla's help too, coz the sucking was what was causing her to lose weight too!

All the best with it Hoody. Please keep us updated on how you go.

Just thought i'd update and let you know i am not having much luck getting extra feeds into Molly or getting her to take both sides i feel as if she is refusing the breast more and more I think she can tell that i am stressed so it is reflecting with our feeds. Last night from 11 til this morning at 8 she didnt really have a successful feed and since had only had one of about 5-10 mins from one side. I am going to hire an electric breast pump this arvo so i can express and top her up with that.

Hey Hoody, have you taken Molly to an osteo? I found that really helpful with Maggie, she was having trouble turning her head properly and as such breastfeeding. There was a stage where she would just refuse breast, it was so frustrating and heartbreaking. I found during those times lying down for a feed when she was tired worked well for us.

Just to give you hope I had a low weight gain bub, thrush etc With a lot of pumping and frequent feeding I got her back to fully breastfed. She is now a reluctant weaner. Just remember with the scales that often their weight can be higher or lower depening on whether they have done or about to do a wee or poo. The scales are not always that accurate. Good luck.

Hoody, i dont have any suggestion, just want to send you lots of hugs this must be a difficult period for you. There were times when DS didn?t seem to want to feed at all but then everything went back to normal. So I hope your DD will feed more soon and finger crossed the pump helps building up your supply. Good luck
    Last edited by spring_ag; February 7th, 2008 at 06:45 PM.

Hoody, Can I recommend an LC? Nothing we can do here can replicate that one on one support you can get from and LC

Barb

Hi, Jodie,

You, and your aunt may never know what happened. it's probably lost in time. The four hourly routine is the natural enemy of breastfeeding, and very common in our parents day. When breasts are very full, milk will be lower in fat - and may look thin and blueish. Also, very full breasts are difficult to latch on to. Maybe the babies weren't able to latch on and transfer milk efficiently. Such a lot of water under the bridge, but it doesn't help other women for myths to be perpetuated.
    Warm Regards
    Barb

Barb - that is interesting. I had a LC (I'm pretty sure she was an IBCLC too) suggest to me on Monday that maybe I should think about stretching my feeds out to 4 hourly...I said no that I was happy with 3 hourly/feeding on demand and left it at that, but reading this has left me surprised that she would suggest it.....

Sorry to hijack Hoody!!

Barb- is there some one specific you want to recommend? I am in the very northern suburbs of perth if there is. If not i will ask my MCHN who she would recommend. My MCHN is very pro BFing and a huge support so i'm sure she could send me in the right direction iykwim if you have no one in mind.

Hi,

Rebecca Glover
    6 Finlay Crt
    LESMURDIE WA 6076
    AUSTRALIA

Ph / Fax:
    Australia: 08 9291 7319

Hoody, big I know how stressful this situation will be for you. I really recommend getting onto that LC ASAP. Your DD is obviously picking up on your stress, which is making feed times more difficult for everyone. I think you will find a LC will make a world of difference for you, really help you sort out what's going on.

Good luck and let us know how you go

morgan78 Guest

hi
    Sending you lots of hugs - i know how stressful it is when your bubs isn't gaining weight "adequately". We are having to monitor our DD's weight for the next couple of weeks and if she doesn't show significant gains will have to see a Paed.
    My GP suggested express out the foremilk and then offering the breast as then they get all the nice fatty hindmilk, dont know if this would help.

But no matter what happens remember you are a great mum because you care sooo much.

hi hoody - no advice here there are certainly better experts than me but just wanted to wish you luck. you are doing a great job and however it turns out you are looking into it all and will dow hat is best for Molly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast