Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BFing Troubles (AGAIN!) - Give Me Some Reassurance That 3 Weeks Is Not Too Late

Firstly don't worry about not being able to get anything out when AF is around it does mess with your milk but it always comes back - just keep doing what you are doing - it is exactly the right thing to do! I think a GP can presrcribe the supply stuff plus there are natural alternatives to boost supply - I saw a receipe around a little while ago that had a supply boosting cookie!

As far as the LC is concerned - if your not comfortable with them then don't worry - what about the ABA if you feel you need to talk things through - they are very relaxed and supportive of BF under any circumstances and like you would be so excited that you have gone back to it after a 5 wks - I think that is GREAT! They used to have a leaflet called relactating.

As everyone else has said keep putting her on all the time, before every feed if you can and your supply will be up really soon. It is so much easier once they are a little bigger and their mouth is bigger and can geet a better latch - with both my bubs we have done a combo of nipple sheilds and ebm until they were about 3 mths and could latch properly!

I am just so excited for you - hope things continue to go well

BTW - these are some tips for boosting supply from the ABA book
    - try stroking the breast towards the nipple on all sides as your baby feeds
    - change sides often (once your supply is up spend more time on each breast to increase hind milk)
    - offer snack feeds whenever baby is awake
    - offer the breast as a comforter instead of a dummy - just like you are :-)
    - go with the flow - if baby is hungrieer and wants to feed more often go with it
    - rest when you can and eat well
    - drink LOTS of water
    - use of a supply line - where you put the container around your neck - the ABA have these for hire sometimes and aren't as fussy as they sound - we used one for a few weeks.

BTW - it also says a better way of measuring how much bub is getting rather than weight is; good skin tone, alert, plenty of wet nappies and wet creamy yellow poos (I know nice)

Can't wait to hear how your story goes!!! keep up the great work

Hey, that sounds good!
    Must be nice to take a relaxed approach

So a mixed day. Went to ob - was totally honest, explained that last week I'd been able to see droplets, that DD has been attaching every time so I want to re-try but have had my period and during that have been unable to get anything out. He gave me a script for Motilium but said he had to be honest and said he thought my chances of relactating are minimal. That's OK, told him I appreciated him giving me realistic expectations. Bit down on the way home thinking should have tried earlier, general beating myself up stuff.

Got home. Attached DD several times. Can see droplets again.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

Back on fenugreek. Will get the motilium tomorrow.

Have expressed too but really even after five mins and with floppy boobs, it's making me sore because the flanges aren't big enough for my nipple.

Can anyone recommend an expresser with bigger flanges. I'm currently using an Avent manual. I think the Medela ones have variable-sized flanges but I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks just yet and I'm not sure they'll come with the bigger flanges if I hire.

It sounds like things are going really well for you. I'm afraid I don't have much advice with regards to a breast pump, have you tried hand expressing instead? If you get the technique right I have been told it is easier and more productive than using a pump, although personally I never got the technique quite right.

The medela "big flange" attachment is about ten bucks. And it does make things comfier.
    Not sure if the other companies make different sizes too - call the Mother's direct shop and ask them.

Fiona, the ABA in your area or your local chemist probably rent out the fandangled expensive pumps and if the larger flanges are cheap, maybe it's worth going that way for a couple of weeks. Although, I think putting your DD on the bb as often as you both want to and with the Motilium you'll probably have a better effect that way.

GL! I think the ob is being overly pessimistic, there are other ladies on here who've gotten back to full bfing with a less positive start than what you're having now. And a combination of bottle and breast is a good outcome too!

Jennifer, thank you, if you have chance can you post me links to the other success stories you mention. I need some added motivation. I'm only getting the tiniest drops out - way, way, less than 1ml. Yesterday I either pumped for about 5 mins each side every hour or so or put DD on but I think I was overly optimistic in my earlier post saying that she stayed on for 10 mins. Maybe it just felt like 10 mins, it's probably more like a few minutes but hey, I'm just pleased that I can actually get her on.

If I managed to get 10ml out by day 7 of the motilium, that would be great. I only have enough for about 17 days.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ng-142592.html

I'm having a search, but bear with me, because I can't remember the exact members who went through this and I'm not sure where everything is.

Ah found them!

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...g-89840-6.html

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...g-70253-4.html

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...f-62790-3.html

You might want to check out some of becstar's posts after her thread - I think she might have posted in the bfing success stories as well.

Hope these help - you might find some of the advice helpful as well as getting some encouragement.
    Last edited by Jennifer13; September 30th, 2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added links

Fiona, I'm jsut running out the door, but PLEASE nag me to come back in here and chat to you, there is much I want to say...................

Fionas: I came across this thread looking for info in breast pumps for returning to work and would just like to wish you luck in re-establishing your milk supply. I too had amazing difficulty in the beginning, huge boobs, big nipples and a baby with what seemed like a very small mouth. I too saw LC and midwives who made it look like the most simple and natural process in the world and I just couldn't get the hang of it. In the beginning I could spend up to 3 hours trying to get him to latch properly, it usually ended when he would get frustrated and scream, therefore opening his mouth wide enough for me to get the boob in and I would end up in floods of tears feeling like the most useless Mum in the world.

I attended the ante-natal BF classes and read the books, confident that when the time came I would know exactly what to do, unfortunately looks like Elliot neglected to read the books or listen to the classes!! No matter what I did he would not present me with the nice wide gape and low tongue that all the pictures show you, no matter how many times I brushed his nose with the nipple!

When my milk came in he also had a fierce let down to deal with so not only could he not attach properly he would also cough, splutter and drown in a sea of milk. This made me feel even worse and our feed times were so amazingly stressful and I felt as though me feeding him this way was just cruel. Our breakthrough came when I read somewhere about pushing on babies chin as they approach the breast in order to get them to open their mouth wide enough. It was a 2 person operation and DH had to help me by pressing on the chin while I got the boob in and surprisingly it worked a treat! Suddenly we had a great mouthful or areola and gulping feeds, still with a little spluttering but manageable.

As time went on Elliot learned about how to BF, as did I and I must admit to feeling somewhat let down that nobody really informs you about how hard the BF journey can be. I was lucky that whilst my journey felt like a long one, by the time he was a few weeks old we had it down pat. He now attaches himself and perhaps still doesn't look like the pictures and we don't have the best seal as a little milk runs down his cheek, but I gave up trying for perfection and grew to accept that this works is what for us.

I know of many women who have had similar experiences to mine, some that have managed to work it out and others that didn't and chose like yourself that preservation of your sanity is the most important thing. It is sad that there is not enough support out there for us when we are struggling in the beginning, I know it must ba a common problem. I sincerely hope that you do manage to resurrect your breastfeeding journey, but if you don't try not to be too hard on yourself. Your little one is still thriving on formula and will continue to do so i'm sure. Well done for giving it your best shot, that's as much as we can be expected to do and if it doesn't work out then so be it, at least we tried.

Hope you manage to find a pump that works for you, I have the Avent and have not found it much use TBH. I really can't get much milk with it even with a good let down, the manual option has more suction and works better for me, but I will be investing in a heavy duty one soon. I went for a night out with DH and it took me a whole week to get enough milk for the night, needless to say we haven't managed again since, too much hassle!

GOOD LUCK!

Ladies, I wish I could respond to you all individually but I'm trying to do something (either attach or express) every hour or so, hence time is a little precious.

Hired pump. Phoned ABA for supply line (KMN - thanks so much for prodding me in the right direction, it DOES make a lot of sense to do it that way).

AND WE HAVE LIFT OFF.

Today is Day Three. Yesterday nothing. Nada. Would have been easy to give up hope. Decided to just not stare at what wasn't coming out of pump and to watch West Wing to distract me instead and to treat it as TV-viewing time, not expressing time.

Today, my goodness, we almost have a flow, lots of lovely drops forming on the boob. Not enough to actually drop but we have great progress and really, as long as you're making progress that's all you need to keep you motivated.

Am v happy. Now just have to keep going.

Yay, Fiona!!

Looking forward to hearing more positives after what is hopefully a restful weekend for you all.

not at all! demand and supply! As you start dropping FF and EBM feeds and she becomes more dependant on just you, she'll build your supply right up
    Glad you're seeing an LC. I hope everything works out for you! x xx

How exciting!

Great work!

How are you doing this week, hun? Just doing a quick check in, not meaning to hassle you!

WELL DONE!!! What an awesome effort!!!!

Remember to try to relax when expressing, treating it as TV time is a great idea. The more you relax, the easier the milk will flow. I'm sure you know, but also remember that your DD will do a much better job of getting to all that yummy milk than a pump. Don't be disheartened by how little you pump either (although you don't sound disheartened at all, and good on you for that!) as it's not a true indication of how much milk you have.

You have done such an amazing job. You're an inspiration

PS: one of my best friends had lots of success with a supply line too. I wish I'd thought to mention that earier! Glad one of the girls in here is on the ball!

Thanks for asking guys. Good news - I have milk, but not much. Struggle to get more than a few mls out. Can't get anything out with electric pump, only with my manual pump. Still putting DD on whenever I can and pumping whenever I can (hence why I haven't updated in a while). But DD is not feeding while she's on, there's no swallowing because there's not enough there for her so I'm using her more as a nipple stimulator.

Have supply line but haven't had chance to use it yet. Every day just seems so hectic between pumping, feeding, attaching, settling (DD wakes up every 40 mins) and looking after my toddler. So it's full on BUT when you get to first base (ie. DD will actually go on) it just seems so much more do-able than the first few weeks where I could not get her to go on at all.

But, I am at the stage where if I'm not pumping or attaching then I feel guilty. DP has the weekend off and I know if we go and do family stuff, I'll feel guilty which is crazy. So the desire to BF again needs to be balanced with other factors. Will see where we're at in another week.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast