Thread: green poo

Default green poo

hi ,
    My 8 week old baby boy for the last week has been having very green poo, ( sometimes deep green and sticky other times runny and lumpy) everytime he poo's. I am breastfeeing approx every 3hrs from both breast and sometimes from one side only. Does anyone know why?

Hi Rach,

From what I read green frothy poo is due to fast flow, ari had this when she was 4-8wks. i used to put her on to get the let down then catch the overflow in a cloth while she sucked on a dummy then put her back on. This would mean she would get down to the hindmilk instead of getting filled up with foremilk.

HTH a little

I had to watch spicy food with my first, acidic food with my second and bubba3 didn't like even half a glass of red wine.

I think the food elimination thing is useful and you pretty soon get to know what bub doesn't like!

Ive been told that green poo also means tummy ache.

Hi,

If baby is otherwise well and thriving I wouldn't be too concerned about the colour of his poo. Is he thriving? (ie, gaining weight) How many times would he feed in 24hours? How many poos would he do per day?
    Regards
    Barb

Thanks for the advice. He is thriving putting on 300g per week and growing into quite a long bubba. The feeds are between 8-10 times in 24hrs. He seems really distressed pretty much all the time,and crys (which is a scream more than cry) all the time and is very difficult to settle. I have tried all the techniques i used for settling with my 1st baby but they seem to not work. He poo's about 10 times a day minimum. Is that normal or will he be getting dehydrated?

Hi Rach
    My chiropractor recently told me that if bubs is doing green poos, it may mean that the milk your baby is getting is too rich. He told me to drink lots of water to see if it helps.
    Last edited by Patooties; May 4th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Hi,
    there's no chance your baby will become dehydrated - lot getting all that milk! It's normal to poo a lot if they are getting a lot.
    Sucking is everything to babies - sucking is comfort, as well as food. Sucking also helps them digest their food. However, when babies get a really full tummy of milk, they might want to suck to help comfort themselves - then they get another full tummy of milk and off it goes. some mums find that it works well if they feed their baby as often as they like - but from the same breast for say, 3 hours. The breast naturally becomes emptier - so even though baby is getting all the sucking he needs he gets a lower volume of milk.
    Are there any allergies in either side of your families?

Regards
    Barb