Thread: Panadeine Forte & Breastfeeding...

Question Panadeine Forte & Breastfeeding...

Hi all,

Since having my c-section 13 days ago, i've been prescribed panadeine forte as pain relief by my OB, the hospital and my GP.

I just did a quick google search on breastfeeding and panadeine forte and ALL the sites that came up all said not to take panadeine forte whilst BFing!! So why was it prescribed to me?!!!

Has anyone else been on panadeine forte while BFing? Does anyone know why it isn't recommended for BFing mums and what the effects on bubba is?

TIA

I was prescibed panadine forte after my c-section but I stopped using it and switched to plain old panadol and an anti-inflammatory quite soon.

Codiene is safe when breast feeding.
    YOu could see how you go with plain panadol - remember you may need a few days to build up a background of painrelief (take regularly) and then once or twice in place of ther regular panadol have the forte if you think you need it.

i took panadiene forte and voltarin!!but quickly went to panadol

Hi,

You can trust your doctor on this one. YOu may also find it helpful to ring a drug information line such as the one at Monash medical centre on 03 9594 236. Unfortunately, drug companies often make blanket and not very comprehensive statements in regards to their medications. There are many factors involved in assessing the risk of drugs in breastfeeding. Not the least of which is the risk to the baby if he is put on formula. It is really important that women get the pain relief they need after a c-section to allow them to feed comfortably. It's a shame you have been so worried about it.
    Barb

It's a bit off topic Kiera but I think your ticker photo is lovely

Thankyou everyone for your replies!

And Thankyou Barb, you've eased my mind once again!

Thanks Dachlostar!! I like it too!!!