Thread: White spot on nipple?

Question White spot on nipple?

Hi everyone, last night I was feeding my DS and I felt a burning/stinging sensation on my left nipple. When he finished feeding I saw a white spot on the very tip of my nipple. It is still there this morning and the last two feeds have been just as sore. It's not really painful, just an uncomfortable stinging feeling, almost like when you first start B'Fing and bub isn't latching on properly yet. I was sitting in a different chair so maybe he really wasn't latching on the same?

Does anyone know what this is? I hope it isn't anything nasty! What should I do to treat it?

TIA

Enchanted Guest

Does it look like your nipple has been "blanched" Trish?

Hi Oshani, what do you mean exactly by blanched? (Sorry, it's still to early in the morning for me!) There is only one completely white spot, the rest of the nipple is normal colour.

Enchanted Guest

lol.... don't worry I have just gotten up so my brain isn't fully functioning yet. With the spot... does it look like a "pimple" I guess you could say or does it look like the end of your nipple is discoloured?

Sorry... I'm not that good with words this morning

LOL, I'm never good with words in the morning! Ummm...I wouldn't describe it as looking like a pimple (i.e raised), it looks like one small round patch of the skin at the tip of the nipple has faded to completely white if that makes sense?

Enchanted Guest

Yeah, from what you are describing it sounds like nipple vasospasm.... it can happen from poor attachment. I had it when I was bfing Oscar... it really hurts. Put a warm face washer or something with heat as that should relieve it.

Oh, thanks heaps! That's a relief that it doesn't sound too nasty. I'm about to have a shower so I will make sure I put some heat on it.

Thanks again!

oh that sounds like what I have going on at the moment...

It isn't overly painful but I have discolouration on both nipples but it is only present just after feeding and it stings like all h!ll when I first take her off...

I think it can be a little bit of a blocked duct going on as well. I had the white spot when I had blockages - not all the time but most of the time. Heat before a feed is good. See if you can feel any lumps (which could be tender) on your boob and give them a little massage then feed. Sometimes I have had the white spot and no blockage as well though. Barb might pop in and shed a bit more light

I had white spot and it was a blocked duct, sounds very much like yours. Can you get a LC to take a look or a GP with obs quals? That's how mine was diagnosed. The treatment wasn't very nice but was very very necessary, so I'd get someone to take a look if I was you.

I would go and see a LC about vasospasm. It isn't just from poor attachment, it can be a secondary thing from microtrauma to nipple (after thrush etc). It is extremely extremely painful (it is a bit like chillblains of the nipples), you have to keep your chest warm (heat packs on nipples, and you can get these breast warmers for between feeds). I had to ake huge doses of Blackmores Biomagnesium to clear it up.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies! I don't think it is a blocked duct, I had one last week so I know what they feel like and I definitely don't have anything like that now. I think it probably was from poor attachment, when I was feeding him it didn't feel right, but because I was sitting in a different position to usual I couldn't seem to get it right. The spot is still there and it still stings a bit, but I will keep putting heat on it and see how we go. If it gets any worse I will definitely get it checked out.

Thanks again everyone!

Hi
    I was just about to ask about that then saw your post!!
    I have that too, its right in the centre and can be quite sore to touch. I did/do have a problem with blocked ducts or should I say blocked boob as I'm sure the whole thing was blocked!! Its been there for a while now and I cant seem to get rid of it even after putting on hot waterbottles, massaging before and after a feed and also keeping DS on there for as long as possible. My left breast is doing lovely so I dont understand why this has happened to the right one as i dont do anything any different. Now my right breast is quite a bit smaller than the left, does anyone know how to even them up??? Also I dont think it has the same flow as the left one, its getting quite frustrating for me now as for the last 2 weeks every few days I have to sit with a hot water bottle on it and express for ages to clear it all up even after having DS on there for over an hour to try and clear it.

Thanks
    Sus xx

Sus - My boobs are inconsistent too! Left has better supply than right (and right has had cracked nipple, mastitis etc). Can you feed more frequently from the right, or offer that one first to try to drain it & increase your supply?

Thanks Ezz! I think tomorrow I will try and feed Thomas inbetween feeds on the right one to try and get the supply up and hopefully even out the boobie situation!!!!

I thought Vasospasm was more of a whole nipple thing? I had it with Jenna and a little with Hamish, and when the baby pulled off it was like the whole nipple had no blood supply. Not a white spot.

Trish - that white spot is something, but I cant remember. I'm thinking its something like thrush or a blocked duct too. I had one with Jenna, and it lasted a couple of weeks. It was like a pimple with pus in it (delightful....)

I dont think its too serious in the grand scheme of things, but if the pain gets worse not better, best have a chat to someone IRL.