The spinal I had for DD, after first attempt I still had feeling down one side (ob checked with instrument, thank goodness), so the anaesthetist re-did it above the next veterbrae. I'm not sure mine even went as high as my breasts, although it absolutely covered the c/s site.

So I don't get why they couldn't give it to you as low as possible and check that feeling is blocked where it needs to be? They can always go higher if they need to. Especially since your records would surely say where the last spinal was placed. The anaesthetist could try a bit lower first. Why on earth would he think he'd need to go higher?? Lower and you might avoid the breathing issues altogether. I'd ask more questions. You don't need to consent to something that is going to cause you problems without being abo****ely sure it's the right thing to do. If you aren't in labour, there's not likely to be any rush to get the spinal done ASAP.

Hopefully this is not even an issue for you and your VBAC is successful!