Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caesarean Chatter #2

it doesn't matter if you've had a GA (general aneasthetic) or a spinal/ epidural, the bowel still gets paralyzed during the procedure. Asking if you've passed flatus, or used your bowels is the only way nurses can tell if things internally are working again. The worst thing you can do is strain to use your bowels post csec, when there's lots of medicenes you can take to prevent it! so yes nurses are bowel obsessed but for a very good reason, and I know it seems intrusive for you, but to us ( obviously I am a nurse) its just like asking if you are hungry. It 's a question we ask after any theatre not just csecs!!!! So don't be embarassed and try not to be tooo annoyed at us, we are just trying to make sure you are OK.
    I have no harsh feelings about my csec, but I'm fingers crossed bigtime that I don't have to do it again. And you sometimes bleed more after a csec, coz not much comes out during delivery compared to a vaginal ( when heaps comes out then and there!!) The uterus contracts when BF and thats another reason health professional recommend it at least for a few weeks, it helps everything go back where its meant too!!!
    Anyway girls, I am hoping I'm not going to be here saying I've had to have another csec, but if I do, I know everything will be ok too.

Bleeding is finally settling down \/ Oh boy, the things I get excited over these days!!

Spoke to mum about the numb spots (she had 4 c/s, the last 19yrs ago) and she said she still has spots that are numb. Weird hey?!

Strange that you weren't allowed to eat for a few days Tootie, why was that?

I still have a teeny bit of numbness, but I have noticed over the past year I am getting more feeling back which is good. I don't remember not being allowed to eat LOL! But they did give my fibrogel or something to get me to go to the loo soon after. As for the scar itself I can't see it, I had a drain (ugh that was weird to be taken out) and all bar I think 1 or 2 stiches (1 either end of the scar) the rest of the stitching was done on the inside so I couldn't see it and I think thats why I don't have a scar. I have noticed recently though that when I have uterine contractions either with AF or certain *other* activities that my scar pulls a little and is a little uncomfy, Marc thinks its because its strengthening but I don't know its weird coz I had paris nearly 4 yrs ago :shock:

*hugs*
    Cailin

sorry to sound like a know it all, but the numb spots are severed nerve ending, and depending if they grow back or not, you may never have feeling in them again, like your mum sarah
    The pulling sensation when the uterus contracts ( no matter the activity that causes it!!) is most likely scar tissue, and nerves combined, and nerves can take years to regrow, so not odd at all!!!!
    The drains depend on the OB that performs the op, and what the wound was bleeding like during the op ( I had one!!) and they are as weird to take out as they are to have it taken out!!!

Vanita you are not sounding like a know it all at all. Its good to have knowledgeable input! My Dr also told me about the sensations he said that some people do regain feeling others don't. I guess I have just been hopeful as I know of people who didn't regain it for years but some did eventually return, which is whats happened to me. Thanks for the info about scar tissue/nerve endings I had hoped it was something like that and not something serious. So its good to know. I saw my scar recently on an US and they told me everything was ok so I was relieved.

*hugs*
    Cailin

i have full sensation in my scar but DH cut his leg in an industrial accident 9 yrs ago, and doesn't have full sensation to the area, I don't know it doesn't really bothe rme coz I figure whats a numb spot here n there, but I have MS so have few numb spots anyway ( like the fingertips on my left hand) I guess you just need to be mindful of numb spots and try not too burn them ( like I did my tummy when ironing the other day!!)

I agree with Cailin, it's good to have someone knowledgable around Thanks Vanita!

*Megan* Guest

Sarah - congratulations on the birth of your beautiful little boy...I did look for a birth announcement, but couldn't find one - so hope it is OK to post in here! He is just gorgeous BTW!!

I have booked an elective c/s for the 2 June - how are you feeling now just a few days after the birth?

Megan

Megan at 2w after the birth I'm feeling really good The first few days were tough getting in & out of bed mostly, but once the staples were out (day 5) I felt waay better - I think I was worried about them coming out more than anything. Now I have some pain above the wound where the muscles got stretched & moved about, but that's fine as long as I don't overdo it.

If we have anther bub I will definately be going for an elective c/s.

And thank you for checking out the little man's website. We think he's gorgeous too - but I think we're biased

Melinda Guest

Sarah - I wasn't allowed to eat for a couple of days because the bowel stops working for a while, and they told me that you have to start back onto food slowly so that your bowel doesn't throw a total reggie (well they didn't say that exactly LOL, but YKWIM). So after a couple of days, I started back eating very light things........as I said, I didn't feel like eating anything anyway........was an emotional wreck!!!

Hi girls

I hope you dont mind, I have been lurking in this thread for a little while, as I am a bit worried I might be having a c-section this time around. The reason I am wondering about this is that my first baby was a biggie (9lb 4oz) and he got stuck for 2 hours. They eventually got him out with a pretty severe episiotomy, and we are lucky they got him out in time. He had become distressed (me too!) and had been passing meconium in the fluid. I was wondering if anyone else had something like this happen, and were they recommmeded to have a c-section after this sort of experience? I am going to ask my ob at my appointment on thursday, but I dont want to sound panicky or ignorant when I do!

Thanks so much!!

re the drains. MIL who was a midwife for 20 years said you are more likely to have a drain if you are overweight (hope i am not offending anyone by saing that) or also if there is too much blood gathering in the wound before stitching up.

re the farting, i know women that had competitions going in hospital to see who could fart first so they would get to eat. my sis said generally in a labour ward when someone farts there is a round of applause for that person, haha!

nixie, i guess it depends on the size of your next bubs. if you get to 36 weeks and they suspect bubs is going to be a biggen again, they would most likely schedule you for a c/s given your last birth experience. but if bubs seems to be a lot smaller, there might not be any need for it. was is purely bubs was too big, or your pelvis was too small?

Min, I think it was a bit of both, but I am really not sure. My problem is that when I had Isaac I was 18, and I was treated very differently by the midwives, no-one wanted to tell me anything, and I was too scared to ask. Now I dont have all the information as to what even happened last time, so I have no idea what the chances are of it happening again. And of course that was over 6 years ago, which doesnt help either.

:soapbox:
    Thats so rude that they didn't tell you what was going on - who cares what age you are, it's still your body & your baby.
    Sorry, I just find that terrible that they left you in the dark as to what happened. Can you get the info from the hospital somehow? I''m not sure how extensive the records are that they keep.

You have the right to request your medical records from the hospital( somtimes need to pay an admin fee, and fill out a form) and they have to give it to you.

They were pretty rude, but I still should have had the guts to stand up and ask questions, rather than just being passive and letting it happen. I just didnt have the confidence to do it, but I sure learned something from it! I am not sure how long they keep the records for, I will call and ask them. I now live in a different state, but they should be able to post it to me. Thanks for the advise guys, I really appreciate it, makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing.

That's good the hear that we can access copies of our medical records. I have been thinking of doing this myself sometime soon.

Nixie, I had a similar experience with DD. Pushing for 2 hours before they figured out DD was stuck. They took me straight in for a c-section and afterwards made a comment about needing to have a caesar next time. No reason given to me, but on my baby book they wrote - "cpd ?" - in the tiniest writing, almost like they weren't sure if they should write it or not.

Nic

Nic, CPD is cephalo-pelvic disproportion - the baby is perceived too big for pelvis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast