Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caesarean Chatter #2

CPD is also just commonly used as a diagnosis when the dr wants the birth to hurry up... Some drs also try to diagnose cpd before even a trial of a labour.. which doesnt make sense.. they have no idea how the pelvis and etc will move in the chemical and physical changes in labour.

K

Yes I find it irritating when they diagnose CPD toooo early, coz the facts are the babies head is squishable, Thats why the skull is not fused,and mums pelvis is flexible!!!!

Thanks Sarah, I did know that already - sorry for not explaining myself better. When they wrote it in the baby book the actually put a question mark after writing cpd, like they weren't sure that was the reason why.

I didn't know what it was so searched on the net and found out. When i went back to my local GP, I asked him what it was and he said he had no idea!!! I was gobsmacked to say the least.

I went to the hospital on my due date for a check up, only to be told I was in labour and had to go to the labour ward, this was 8am on a Friday.
    A couple of minutes before midnight on the Saturday night I started pushing, after a couple of hours the midwives were asking me if I had ever hurt my tailbone. Then they told me DD was stuck, (we could even see the top of her head) they called a Dr who walked in and checked me out and said there was no way she was coming out that way and i would need a c -section. The midwife said even if DD wasn't stuck they would probably have done one anyway as I had been awake since 5am Friday morning, DD was born around 3.25am Sunday and was 7lb 5 oz, so not a biggie.

DH said that his Aunty had 3 caesar's because of something to do with her tailbone not softening during labour?
    Either way, i might have to see if I can get my hands on a copy of my records from the hospital.

Nic

Hi girls,
    I don't think doctor's diagnose properly why labours end with c/s as there is usually such a rush at the end and it usually all ends well and then they move on to the next person. It is not something they have to "cure" if you know what I mean. But it is a problem for the woman of course when she wants to go back again. when I had a c/s, my dd's heart rate took a long time to recover after each contraction and when I did not dilate more than 9cm, and they put a drip in to get me to 10cm, she really got distressed so they did the c/s. but the doctor also made the casual comment - oh you were probably too small to deliver her anyway!!!
    Medical records are kept, for inpatients, for 10 years at least in Victoria. Probably best to get your GP to request the specific things you want, then it doesn't cost anything, it is quicker and they can interpret them for you.

*Megan* Guest

Just another question for all mums that have had a c/s - how long is your scar (in cm's)? I just looked on an American website and am totally freaked out by the size of the scars!!!! Perhaps things are done differently here?? 8-[

Megan

my scar was around 10cm at first but its heaps smaller now, haven't measured it lately LOL

I think mine's probably about 10cm long.

*Megan* Guest

10cms is quite small isn't it? You should have seen the size of the ones on the American website - scary stuff!

Thanks for your replies....

Megan

Yeah, mines the same Megan. If I get my right hand and lay it across my lower belly along the scar, it goes from the end of my palm (at the wrist) to almost the end of my little finger. Not big at all really.

Nic

Yep mines probably 8- 10 cm too. not even the length of my hand, but can hardly see its there. The Yanks must be doing it wrong!!!

Melinda Guest

Mine is closer to 20cm long!!!! Eeeks!!

Mine's about 10cm too. I've heard that often emergency C-S scars are bigger, because the OBs don't want to muck around with stretching skin etc to get bubs out.... don't know if that' s accurate or not

dont think so, coz mine was an emergency one. and not big scar for sure!

Yeah, mine was an emergency one as well and we were surprised by how small the scar is.

Nic

Mine was an emergency one and i have a small scar in fact i can't even feel mine.

Melinda Guest

Mine was an emergency one. But yeah, it's certainly big enough LOL!

just back on the CPD, that is what I have been diagnosed with. the minimum average Widest transverse diameter of a womans pelvis is 12.5cm, from my CT mine measures right on 10cm, my OB said he didnt even need to see the scan pictures with that measurement, that 2cm is a huge difference, the sonographers said the same thing, so I am trusting my OB.

was so strange seeing the CT scans, was a quite clear picture of my skeleton with a baby skeleton inside me, pretty freaky looking, plus from the scans you can see his head is no where near my pelvis, it doesnt even fit in to the opening!

kerryn Guest

I wont rush to get the measuring tape -my scar starts and stops with my pubic hair, guess we are probably all a little different with our measurements there!

My caesarean was an emergency. As it was almost 8 years ago it's a very fine line but even in the hospital, the midwives commented on the lovely stitching.

At the time I was completely devastated. My baby was in intensive care due to a meconium aspiration, so that no doubt added to the unpleasant experience. When I look back now, I wonder why I made such a fuss.

One vivid memory is the catheter. It never occurred to me that there was such a thing and when I became conscious of it, I wanted it out. I wont be so eager to do that again because then I had to get out of the bed to go to the loo! The other funny thing was having to get the mother-in-law to go and by me some huge undies.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast