Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #7

If you find out I would be interested so please pass on the info.

I had a running stitch for my first and stapples for my second I soooo don't recomend the staples they hurt when comming out and I feel like the skin/nerve area tool longer to heal.

My ob was going to do it at 38 weeks but he thought that might be a little early not that one week at the end should make a difference should it? it's still subject to change though

Oh also with an elective do you meet with the aneathatist before the op? and any other pre preperations? I'm going to St Vincent private in Melbourne

Hi everyone,

New in here...having my first c/s on the 3rd Sept...didn't know this thread existed so am very glad to have found you all as I'm not that keen to be having a c/s but not left with a whole lot of choices (LOL). have only read a couple of your postings and thought I would reply to one of them...I will be bombarding you all with some of my own so, thought I would repay first then ask later

Tiff - some ob's prefer to c/s at 39 weeks mostly because it decreases the chance of the baby suffering respiratory distress. Please forgive me if this has already been covered and you know this. I think I am being done at around the 38.5 week point. Haven't checked that out yet so guess what I am going to do now....!

Will be posting some questions for you all soon.

Thanks,

Lynnette x

Interesting q about the dates CS are done. Mine's book for 39wks exactly, but since they already fiddled my dates (due to U/S) by my calculations it will be more like 38.5. I raised this with the OB but I got scared when they talked about possibly going into labour and having to wait for surgery space to become available, so am sticking with the date they have given me.

Tiff, I understand on the day of the procedure, you will meet with the ob who coordinates the CS list for the day, as well as seeing the anaesthetist (or one of their assistants?) briefly just prior. This is your opportunity to ask any last minute q's you might have. Take all the time you need at earlier OB appts to ask about what happens, etc, I have done this a couple of times and come away feeling quite reassured.

Re the types of stitches, at my hospy it depends entirely on who the OB who attends is, as they all have their preferred methods. I would imagine if one was a stand-out as the "best" across a variety of situations then it would be used more commonly.

ok managed to find the info, well a friend whose hubby is a surgical nurse explained it for us

the newer method, which is now used in most abdominal surgery. The method is different to the old method in that far less stitching is done, which allows a little more room for movement, with far less pulling and inflammation. The old method is where every layer is stitched on the way out. Uterus (double stitched), peritoneum, muscle, rectus, fat (sometimes) and then skin. The new method is the uterus (double stitched), rectus and then skin. They also sometimes do a single loop through the fat to help stabilise the skin stitch and give less a scar, but this makes little difference to the pain as there are few receptors in the fat layer. The overall effect is supposed to be less pain in recovery, mostly from not stitching the muscle layer

thanks guys this is great having you all on hand to ask what seam strange questions. :hugs:
    My ob visits are monthly at the moment and all my questions come AFTER I see him at my last visit he booked me into his diary for the 16th but said he would let me know for sure and the details at my next visit then briefly mentioned the aneathatist so I kind of went away with things still buzzing in my head
    I had a planned c/s with my second but it was in Darwin at the Darwin private hospital and this one is in Melbourne so I wasn't sure of the procedures plus it's been 6 years and I don't remember the details very well.

wow thanks Rach75! not sure about the fat part, they can cut that out for me

Another question sorry... I was wondering about what method of anethstetic used? I had an emergency with my first and they attempted to give me an epidural but couldn't get the needle in after trying 7 times! so I was given full anethstetic but with my second I had a spinal block on the operating table which worked first go and it was fantastic as i was awake for the birth. Does anyone know if their is a "prefered" method or less risky? I have heard people say they've had problems with epidurals not working on one side during labour.

my only problem with the epidural is it took a while fo rthe feeling in my feet to return which meant longer in recovery

my sister goes numb right up to her face #2 son, yet she had it again with #3 son and will have it again with #4 in dec

Ok I'm a nurse and haven't worked in maternity or recovery.... but wow I am surprised they allow babies in recovery ! I'm assuming not all the patients in recovery are from C/s and to have the added responsibility of watching over your other patients and a mother and baby would be a bit unnerving for me. As a nurse you focus on making sure the mother is ok, what if she got a blood clot and needed a code cart ? Here I'd have to deal with where to put the baby as well as deal with the care of the mom. I do know "some" nurses in maternity can be evil and I don't agree with ANYONE being rude (nurses or patients) but my concern would be for the wellbeing and healthy of the mother. I want to breastfeed too and I'm having a c-section (twins due) but I'd rather be a living mom breast feeding my babies than a dead one. Recovery is just that... recover from MAJOR ABDOMINAL surgery and they need to know you are ok prior to the floor....

HEATHER

Hi Heather, I understand your point of view as I think for a nurse you are right.

I have had 2 c-sections and each time I was not allowed to have bub in recovery with me. For me though I didnt want them in recovery. I dont think that is fair on the other patients. Maybe c-section woman should have another room for their recovery so they can have bub in with them. For my last c-section there was a woman beside me who wasnt too good and like you said they had to get things done quite quickly and there was a fair bit of movement and noise at one point. Each time I was shaking quite a bit (from my body being in shock I was told, but I think those recovery rooms are too cold) so I prefered for them to go with my husband. He did a great job both times. I must admit though each time I was busting to get to my room so I could feed my precious little one. I breast fed # 1 for 18 months and # 2 is still breastfed at 4 months. I had no trouble bonding or breastfeeding because of recovery but I totally understand woman who do.

A lot mothers find being forced away from their baby immediately after the birth quite traumatic, wether it be C-section or a complication during a vaginal birth.

It's difficult because it is major surgery and from the point of view of the nurse it probably would be extra pressure, especially if something was to go wrong in recovery.

Hi all, you have all made me think back abit with my c/s's. While waiting for them to deliver my DD, I was just laying there and decided to look up to where the light is, and thought wouldn't you have thought they would clean that before they operate on me, as there was blood all over it. Anyway it wasn't until afterwards that I had found out that I had lost a bit of blood while being operated on, so it was mine. I don't recall having the anti-spew stuff. I had the shakes too, and was telling one of the op room nurses that I couldnt stop shaking and this male nurse, was so nice and said, I will race and get you another blanket. How nice was that. Anyway, another nurse had said it wasn't from me being cold, so I didn't need the blanket. hehehe. I also had one of the Dr's say to me, that this other Dr who was helping him had cut his finger in me, and I didn't think of what he could have passed onto me at the time, all I could think of was - How could he have cut himself on me, I felt so terrible, thinking that this Dr had hurt himself on me. Stupid I know, but I wasn't really all there. Anyway this Dr said he had to now do a Bllod test on the Dr and on me. So yippee, that was news I really wanted to hear. Didn't hear anything back from them anyway. They did do the test tho.

With my younest, had general so did not get to experience her birth. Which I must admit took alittle while to feel closer to her. Thinking it was due to the general that did that? Just didn't seem the same to not be awake to witness your babies first breath. I was just glad that my DH had his trun of being the first to see our baby.

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to say that my SIL had an elective c/sect in a public hospital on the Gold Coast and her baby was with her the entire time. They were never apart even in recovery. She insisted on it. Lucky for her as well she was first on the theatre list for c/sects that day, so it was so fast she didnt even realise. I think this has been essential in her recovery emotionally from the operation. As with her previous emergency c/sect bubs was away from her for the hour or so in recovery, and she felt this impacted her.

I am overdue with an oddly positioned baby, I cross my fingers each day that she will stay in a Vaginal delivery position, but I also am a lot more educated on c-sects thanks to this thread. At least if worst case scenario I have a caesar, I can understand important aspects of it.

Jac

I know I really struggled with bonding with my ds as I had an emergency with a general and I remember waking up in recovery and drifting in and out and asking what my baby weighed?? don't know why that mattered LOL but I was really out of it even though I look back and remember everything that was said even the nurse saying to the midwife when they wheeled me back that surgery had ran out of sanitary pads so they used gause iiick. It felt like hours till I saw my son and he looked NOTHING like I expected, he had bright red hair and lilly white skin (my husband has dark skin and and afro!) I kept thinking for months what if they switched babies while I was asleep? did he realy come out of me?. If I had him in recovery I think I would have had the chance to bond a bit more but I totaly understand the medical procedures and having a healthy baby and mum is way more important, it stll hurts though.

With my second though I saw her come out of my belly and I got to touch her!!! she went with dh while I was in recovery and although I was busting to see her I felt reasured cause I had seen her, she was safe and healthy and i knew she was with dh the whole time.

Heather, they only let your baby stay in recovery if a midwife accompanies you. The recovery nurse is still responsible for the mother, the midwife for the baby. One of the main reasons that babies don't get to stay in recovery is when the midwives are short staffed.

At the public hospital where I'm booked, the majority of babies stay in recovery - again, when the midwifery staff are available. If they're too busy then bub goes up to the ward with the midwife. It kind of goes along with being Breastfeeding Friendly accredited hospital (one of the standards is that staff are to assist mothers with commencing BFing as soon as possible after birth - in a CS situation that often means in recovery). I'm also told that BFing in theatre has been done often enough at this hospital and is a fair request.
    Last edited by AnyDream; August 20th, 2007 at 10:02 PM.

Marydean, Wow on breastfeeding in the theatre. I have never heard of that before. That would be wonderful. I would of loved to do that.

Linda, my friend in Woll BFed in theatre with her third (the OB didn't want her to but she had the support of the head midwife who personally attended theatre and made it happen). She said that the early contact and bonding (and her subsequent happy emotional state) made it the best out of her three CSs, and also she healed better and faster afterwards too. When I was at her house the other day she showed me all the pictures ( ) and she has a friend who's a midwife who's writing a conference paper about it so hopefully it will become a more established practice.

Marydean -- very interesting about having a midwife in recovery for the babes ! That is wonderful and to be able to have a mom and babe start nursing earlier is such a great head start.

Charlotte I understand your expectations of the hospitals (we are going private and paying out-of-pocket -- at least $6,500) but what we pay out of pocket really doesn't even come CLOSE to covering the "real" cost of the hosptial stay. Our hospitals and it is world wide have a huge shortage of nurses and doctors. These nurses in recovery are not worried about "a little more work" they are worried about your health and the others in the room. I don't work in accounting and I'm not the CEO of a hospital so I have no control how they spend and alot their money. I have been on the recieving end of patient being frustrated and it is difficult to take when you are trying your best and their is only you and you only have two hands. Please understand that in NO way do I agree with nurses who are mean and rude -- that is just NOT acceptable at all. It is because of the frustration with feeling like management don't listen and won't bring in more staff, or the patient care needs are in excessive of what one nurse is able to care for... I find myself not eagar to re-enter the nursing profession and to just find a nice easy 9-5 job where nobody's life is in my hands. I continue to be a strong supporter for nurses since I've been there done that. So for anyone interested there are lots of nursing courses out there to be had.

thought id better get my bum in here as c/s number 4 (or 5 if you count my reversal) is coming closer.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast