Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #8

Nic, you won't feel anything other than tugging and pulling from (usually) the BB's down. But that depends on exactly where they insert it. In terms of what you feel, it is almost identical to an epidural. The main difference between the two is the insertion point in your spine (as in how far they insert the needle) and the drug used. I've heard a blanket rule that a spinal lasts longer than an epidural but, to be honest, that depends on what drug they use, how much they use, and your bodies metabolism and it's ability to process and secrete the drugs. They may also top the spinal up just before the end to provide long term pain relief over the first 6-24 hrs.

HTH

Star - how frustrating for you. Good on you for wanting to have a birth plan for a section. You will have either a spinal or an epidural for a planned C-section. It will ultimately depend on the anethetists as to which they use and what drugs they use. If you are concerned about a reaction to a particular drug - make sure they know it so they can think of an alternative. Perhaps try to find out who your Ob intends to use as the anethetist and then contact their office to talk to them.
    In regards to other things to think about there is;
    skin to skin contact ASAP (preferably before weighing)
    BFing in theatre
    Baby to accompany you to recovery
    If baby can't go to recovery with you, to be in DH's presence at all times
    Lights to be dimmed (the big surgical ones overhead. Hint, they can hurt your eyes so don't look directly into them!)
    You could ask for specific music to be playing (but the Ob may find it destracting and refuse)

There were more listed in the C-Sect birth plan thread... I think it's a sticky? But keep in mind a lot of requests will come down to hospital policy (especially the baby in recovery room) and also Ob preference. Do push for skin to skin contact though. Unless there is something wrong with your baby and it needs immediate care by the ob for medical reasons - there is no reason why you can have a skin to skin cuddle before the weighing is done.

HTH and good luck!

MG

Hi Girls,

I just thought I would introduce myself in here. As you can see from my sig I had my DD by caesarean under a general anaesthetic 9 months ago. My Ob recommended elective CS due to a combo of reasons. I'd developed high blood pressure (which I was under the impression was PE but now I'm wondering whether it was gestational hypertension and not actually PE), My baby was still high and unengaged at 38 weeks (so OB said induction would be unsuccessful), and I have Graves disease so OB thought my body had been through enough.
    The anaesthetist tried unsuccessfully to get the epidural in 4 times, he tried another space on the 5th go and got it in but I only started to go numb in one leg. before I knew it I was being told I needed a general and I was out to it without having any time to comprehend.
    My physical recovery from the caesar was much better than I expected (apart from a bladder infection for the catheter), but my emotional recovery was not very good.

I am hoping for an empowering birth next time whether it be a VBAC or a maternal-assisted caesarean.

Mummatotwo, I am on the Gold Coast also. Do you mind whether I ask which hospital you are having your baby in?
    Even if you go into spontaneous labour and end up with an emergency CS they can still lower the screen so you can see bub being born and they can still give you skin to skin straight away so make sure you fight for that.
    I have to say that I also think that what they are telling you about not being able to have a VBAC because of the length of time you'll have between births is a crock. If you are by any chance going private at Pindara (where I had my DD) all but 2 of the OB's there do not allow VBAC's at all. The only two that do are Penny Isherwood and Alwyn Dunn. I really wish you all the best for your next birth.

Starbright, how frustrating! I can see why they would want to do a CS when you had Placental abruption, perhaps for some reason when the OB recommended VBAC he missed the part about placental abruption in your notes or just had some kind of mental blank. Not long now til you have that precious little bubba in your arms . . .
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; June 25th, 2008 at 01:39 PM.

SamanthaP Guest

It doesn't sound at all like something QLD Health would have a regulation on. I just went to the site and searched - nothing. You can do that, go look through the site and see. That particular hospital might have a "policy" or a recommendation but that's different to a regulation. Next time you're going to your hospital why don't you ask to see a copy of their regulation, just for your own interest?

i had a spinal and it took a few goes to get it in , it was a student docter putting it in and the other doctor was giving him the instructions ... then he said "tell me is you get leg pain" then bam my leg swung right out in a spasam and kicked someone !! he got it in the wrong spot ... but after he got it right i jst felt as high as a kite ...

does an epidural make you feel high ?? or just numb the pain , i got all glassy eyed and said crazy stuff on a spinal ...

since it took nix so long to come out , i was freaking out they were going to stitch me up and try again on another day !!!

i dont really like feeling out of control ... but i could have been up and walking that night , but the nurse made me wait till the next morning.

this baby is in a obliqe possie , so i have resided that if not turned by the due date i will have the c/s ..

Quote Originally Posted by charli'smumma View Post
    Hi Girls,

Mummatotwo, I am on the Gold Coast also. Do you mind whether I ask which hospital you are having your baby in?
    Even if you go into spontaneous labour and end up with an emergency CS they can still lower the screen so you can see bub being born and they can still give you skin to skin straight away so make sure you fight for that.
    I have to say that I also think that what they are telling you about not being able to have a VBAC because of the length of time you'll have between births is a crock. If you are by any chance going private at Pindara (where I had my DD) all but 2 of the OB's there do not allow VBAC's at all. The only two that do are Penny Isherwood and Alwyn Dunn. I really wish you all the best for your next birth.

. . .
    hi and welcome
    I actually had my private antenatal care with dr dunn, he was brilliant, but i birthed publicly. I have replied to your pm about the maternal assisted cs, but gold coast tell me that they can only comply with that as long as its elective once again more stooopid hospital policies!

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaP View Post
    It doesn't sound at all like something QLD Health would have a regulation on. I just went to the site and searched - nothing. You can do that, go look through the site and see. That particular hospital might have a "policy" or a recommendation but that's different to a regulation. Next time you're going to your hospital why don't you ask to see a copy of their regulation, just for your own interest?
    sorry if i came off blunt, i am just really trying to get evidence on all these "facts" that people are telling me (i mainly mean the midwives etc at the hospital) they all tell me of the risks associated with my vabc, but wont produce evidence.
    I think its all a crock. I mean, whats 4 months really? as i was telling dp today, its going to cost them at least 10k for me to have a cs, thats including obstetric care afterwards, why wouldnt they want a vbac? i mean its the better option both for mother and baby. I am not silly, i have researched i know what i am talking about, surely they must know better then an uneducated member of the public... ahhh vent over.

But I am in the space now where i am trying to embrace this birth and spend the rest of my pregnancy happy with a choice, rather then with a sense of angst about it all.

Charm - that high feeling would be the drug used - some narcotics can give a feeling of euphoria, hallucinations etc. Try to find out what they used and then ask them to use something different if it is a concern for you. I know it isn't a nice feeling!

MG

Mummatotwo, that astounds me that the Gold Coast Hospital have told you that about VBAC. I was always under the impression that they were very pro VBAC. I called them a few months back to see what they said if I happened to fall pregnant again before Charli was 1 and they said that they would have to make an appointment to council me on the risk involved before any decisions were made. So I always thought they'd be supportive of VBAC as long as they told you of the risks.

The student Mid who I was a follow through for when I had Charli at Pindara is now a qualified midwife and is working at the Gold Coast Hospital so I might try and get a hold of her and see what she says and I will let you know.
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; June 25th, 2008 at 08:39 PM.

Hey Mummatotwo,

I spoke to a midwife at GC Hosp. She said that they dont have a strict "policy" in place as such but they often do say a minimum of 2 years between cs and vbac. She said that some of the OB's there now realise that the risks of rupture aren't much higher for vbac if there is less than 2 years between births but there are still a few OB's that are insisting on the 2 year gap. So basically it looks like it depends on which OB you get to review your case. Do you know which OB was looking after you? Perhaps you could ask to speak to another one.
    Either way, I think it's great that you are wanting to embrace the birth, which ever way it goes. I think it is fantastic that they will let you have a MACS if elective.

Hi ladies...

I have a question....

Is there a risk of a scar rupture PRIOR to labour????? Like if bubs engages near the scar- or goes too far down even before labour starts- is there a risk there- or does the baby not get that far down until well into labour????

My paranoid mind is starting to have fears that if the risk is so high- should i be opting for a c section earlier than the 38-39 weeks????? My belly is quite low- and i do feel his head pretty far down- so i am just wondering if anyone has any clues...

Thanks

Starbright - I have done a fair bit of reading and research hun, and all indications for rupture are during contractions, nothing early etc... there is no research shown that the later you go that the higher the risk of rupture. The risk increases if you are induced with synoticin, or if you have a vertical scar rather than a low "bikini" line scar (that is internally as well - as sometimes you might have a scar that looks like it is a low bikini one on the outside but on the inside is a classical vertical scar.Try not to worry too much hun, and read up and research as much as you can. The birthrites website is great - and the articles on here are great too!

Charlismumma and mummytotwo - it really depends on the hospital regarding what their policy regarding VBAC is. I have just recently found out (and you would think I would hav eworked it out earlier with all the research Ive done) but that my hospital has lots of strict policies in place for vbac's and another local hospital is super supportive and doesn't put any of the same restrictions on birthing mums so I am possibly changing over! HtH!

Hi Starbright, I just thought I'd tell you that I know someone who fell pregnant only 3 months after her caesarean, and her scar handled the second pregnancy just fine. Hope this helps ease your mind a little. Do you think you will book in for 38 weeks? Not long to go now, how exciting

Tanstar, isn't it amazing the different rules and regulations each hospital has. You'd think that all public hospital would have the same rules wouldn't you, but I guess it depends on what the head OB of that particular hospital prefers. Are you going for a VBAC? Where abouts might you be having your bub?

PS: starbright, all in all how are you finding Tweed Hospital so far? Now that the Tugun bypass is up and running perhaps the Twwed Hosp is now an option for me! Except that bub would be born a new South Welshman,
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; June 27th, 2008 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks ladies... hearing that there is minimal risk of scar rupture during pregnancy has eased my mind alot!!

Charliesmumma.. Tweed has been ok. To be honest- it hast been the BEST... especially for me. i am high risk and it took me until like 28 weeks to get into the high risk clinic due to lack of organisation by the clinic- i kept asking for appt with a high risk dr and got fobbed off to my GP or mid wife visits-for some reason i was on shared care?! When i finaly saw a high risk DR they asked why it took so long for me to see them- i explained i tried- i had a referall letter in my chart- and i kept asking- but i got overlooked. I ended up cancelling my appt they had scheduled and making my own appt on the high risk day to get there. Even when i went to make my next appt the reception lady said to me- oh you dont need to come on tuesdays(high risk day) and i had to be adament with her and say yes i do- pull out my chart for a read one day if you want- (mulitple mis/c- loss at 18 weeks- placental abruption and loss at 35 weeks- and no live children... ummmmmm.... anyone else think i qualify for high risk??? The dr's certainly do!!)

As far as VBAC friendly- they are indeed VBAC friendly- just not for me due to past abruption- the midwives are lovely- but its just a VERY busy place... i wait at least an hour for appts and most of the time blood results and scan results dont make it into my chart- they sit in a pile somewhere and even if i specifically ask them to check for any results and put them in my chart so the dr can see them- we still end up spending most of the appt chasing the results that are sitting in a pile in the reception office. I havent been to a hospital clinic before- so this could be normal and happen anywhere i spose- but i find it VERY annoying- and i feel like a number- not a pregnant woman getting good care. Mind you when i did get to see a good dr- he was very thouroughand spent a fair bit of time with me, but getting there is the drama!!

Sorry if thats put you off- but thats how i feel it is there... drs are good- but the reception lacks organisation big time!!!

We are looking like having the c section at 38 weeks... so 5 and a bit weeks to go- i am getting nervous and excited big time!!! I cant beleive i am really gonna bring a baby home!!!!!

Take care everyone
    SB

Hi Starbright, yes you will be bringing a baby home in less than two months time, woohoo! And it will be a whole new chapter indeed
    How frustrating, about the hospital. it sounds much like the antenatal clinic at Gold Coast from what I've heard.

Starbright - sorry your experience at your hospital isn't the best hun.... staff at most hospitals are just so overworked and are so busy aren't they. How exciting hun! Only 5 weeks to go!!!

Charlismumma - I am definately going to have a vbac!! I am hiring a doula, reading, exercising, hopefully doing a calm/hypnobirthing class and basically doing everything I can to have this baby vaginally! I know there is always a possibility that it may not happen but I will be able to look back and know that I did all I could! I got to 9cms dilated with Iz, so I KNOW my body knows what to do and I had my c/s for "failure to progress" after 36 hours.... disappointing and I never should have been induced but ah well, can't change it all now.
    I am booked at the Mercy in Heidleburg right now but am contemplating going to the Monash Hospital, which apparantly have a much more VBAC friendly approach so will be calling both this week and making a decision!

Thats great Tanstar, I'm sure that you will VBAC beautifully.
    How old will Izzy be when her little brother arrives?

Thanks hun!!! She will be 16 1/2 mths if he is on time! Nice close gap- people keep telling me how busy I will be and how I will have my hands full - Um Im pretty sure I KNOW that and don't need them to tell me! Im already thinking about what it was like with Izzy and what it will be like having another baby plus a very demanding toddler! Thank goodness for my mum who is a phone call away!

Oh yes, You've gotta love your mum! I told mine that if she wants anymore grandbabies she has to come and live with us for at least a month when I bring the next baby home.
    Not sure if this is true, but I'd like to think that it is. Someone said that it is harder going from zero babies to one (and adjusting to the huge life change), than it is going from having one to having two.

I will let you know- but I guess it makes sense as we have a bit of an idea of what's to come! having a baby won't be all new - it will just be juggling the 2!!! Mum wants to take Izzy for a day a week for me because they baby sit while I work now and are going to miss seeing her so I said - go for it! Will give me time with my little man, plus on other days she can take him and I can have days with my girl!! Gotta love 'em I really admire people who do it all with zero family support!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast