Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #8

Default Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #8

Welcome to the caesarean chatter thread

Did you have a caesarean? Was it an elective caesarean or an emergency caesarean? How did you feel about it? Are you planning on having a caesarean (an elective caesarean or for medical reasons)?

Discuss your thoughts and feelings here!

Don't forget to check out the Birthrites website for further information about caesareans.

Last thread HERE

Nic are you having bubs at Mater or Base as they both have differing handling practices after c-sect.

at the mater rach. do you have any info? With DD I was at the base, and although it was 8 years ago,they had the rooming in policy, but they ended up taking her every night. I think they felt sorry for me.

I know I was told bubs would spend the night in SC first night, no bub in recovery etc, and definate 5 days stay

Aargh!! 5 day stay! I'll go mad before then. I'll honestly be doing well to make it to Thursday after the early morning c/s on the Monday.

Nic

which ob you going thru

Etherington. I chose him as I noticed he was listed here on BB as an OB who does breach deliveries, so I thought he would be open to the idea of VBAC as well. We got my records from the base for DD, and took them for him to have a read.

He seemed really genuine and said how sad it was for me to start labour by myself, to being fully dilated and pushing for a few hours then to have the c/s. He said he knows the person who said I needed the c/s, and made a comment on how that OB only does them if necessary, and that I was in good hands that night. Apparently Dr E, works at the base on Tuesdays.

He kept apologising for saying he thought another c/s was the way to go for me, and he did mention that he normally lets women trial labour after a c/s, but he didn't think it was a good idea for me.

You see Dr P don't you? I had been told he wasn't open to VBAC's?

Nic

yes I saw dr Prassard and I have heard he is no go for VBAC...but I will go back thru him next time as he is best in emergency situations in getting bubs out in hurry etc..as Jack was not breathing when he was born and if there is even the slightest chance it could happen again prassard is the man for me even if I can't stand him

Etherington is excellant he may be open to early discharge, if you had said Prassard I would have been like yep 5 days it is talk to etherington before hand explain why you would like out of there ASAP..I am sure he will be open to it

best of luck

Yeah, can totally understand that Rach. We knew Dr khoo wasn't VBAC friendly either, but I was happy to go with him as we trusted him. When it came down to it, it was having that rapport and trust with Dr K that made us want to stay with him, then he went and retired!
    I like how Dr E takes the time to explain it all to us, and then ask if we have any more questions. At our 2nd last appointment, he was running behind, but still answered our questions. Then at our last appointment he asked if we had anymore questions for him again, which he quite happily answered, even the one DH asked about how cold it would be in theatre lol!

Yeah, I will be pushing for a Thursday check out, all going well

Nic

best of luck I have ehard the new guy taking over from Khoo is a friend of etherington and much the same in options etc

best of luck for thursday check out, your not from rocky though are you, that might be the only hold back in respects of getting out early is your travel home

Ooh, didn't know there was someone taking over from khoo!

no, not from rocky, but will be going back to mum and dads for about a week before driving home.
    We were lucky that he is letting us go to week 39 for the c/s, and it will be the first week of school holidays. I want to come home somewhere in the middle of the 2nd week, so we have a few days at home to adjust before DD goes back to school the week after.

I just wanted to share my experience of elective c section as I was very PRO VBAC thru out the entire pregnancy.
    I went to hospital on tues for monitoring as was in early labour and wanted to make sure all was ok with bubs and scar etc. Whilst there the doc came in to review my case and advised against VBAC due to prev failure ( obstructed labour ) and this bubs was a big baby. She advised we had 10-30% chance of acheiving natural birth.
    We decided to go with elective c section on the friday. I had a massive cry that night over the fact that I wasnt able to get my natural birth however was happy with decision DH and I had made.
    Liam had other ideas and I was in full labour wednesday morning so c section was performed then.
    As it was elective it was so calm and relaxed. I knew what was going to happen and I was prepared for it all.
    I also was given the oppurtunity to hold Liam whilst on the table ( I wasnt given this oppurtunity with prev c section). Liam and DH stayed down in theatre for a long time and we got photo taken of the 3 of us.
    I did spend a long time in recovery as the spinal was very high but once back on ward and with bubs in arm I was so pleased we made that choice.
    My recovery had been excellent. 9 days post delivery and I am not longer needing pain meds and feeling nearly 100% (although still taking it easy)
    I would like to say that I did enjoy my c section experience 2nd time around and dont now feel at all ripped off over the birth process.

I hope this changes a few minds on the experience because it can be a postive one.

Hi, i just wanted to introduce myself in here.

I am due to have a repeat c section (i refuse to call it elective!!!!) in about 10-12 weeks.
    I am really dissapointed by the fact that i have to have one, as i wanted a VBAC, but as i only had my son 17 months ago via cs the hospital will not allow me to attempt labour at all

I originally planned to homebirth this bub. But due to lack of family/midwife support i feel i have to suck it up and have the c section.
    i just read the thread on maternal assisted c sections and am hoping to go that way.

While i support womans choices in birthing, i do however have a strong opinion on vaginal births, so please do not mistake my sadness of this repeat c section with a judgement that ALL c sections are wrong. I am not judgemental in this aspect in any way.

Hope to get a bit of support and maybe some understanding in my sadness with this decision.

hi , im thinking about a repeat c/s but cant stand the tought of having 2 kids and never being in labour kwim .... my hops is vbac and repeat c/s friendly ..... each visit i have they want an answer as what will i be going for , i just go blank because i dont really know , a doc went ahead and booked a c/s date and said , dont worry its a tentative one , you can change your mind ..... and i have about 1000 times .....

what they wont do is give me an internal exam before my due date .... can request one ???

my "plan" for want of a better word is :

to have an internal on the 38 wk visit or 39 week visit as i will be 39 weeks on the 11th aug which iS when the c/s is shecdualed ... IF my cervix is thinning and ripening then i will forgo the c/s and concentrate on labour , if not then i will do the c/s ... as i dont want to have false hope and get an induction only to have c/s ...

it probably doesnt make sense , i dont really mind if i do have one , i just want to feel labour and contractions ... kwim

Hi,

Just introducing myself in here. I have just had my second c-section and been driven up the wall with insensitive comments - why does that happen?

Charmalea - I fully understand your wish to labour. My second c-section was a result of a failed VBAC. First was elective with no labour. I much preferred labouring before the c-section. It was and is a lot harder to recover from both a labour and a c-section but I don't regret trying for the VBAC. Just in relation to your plan for internals at 38 and 39 weeks and something to think about - my 40 week check-up revealed that my cervix was not ripe and nowhere near ready - nevertheless went into spontaneous labour 2 days later so you can never really tell even if things don't appear ready. Personally, I think waiting for an internal until your due date is sensible instead of worrying about it too early. I was booked in for an elective c-section a week later because of the unripeness of the cervix but luckily my body had other ideas - although the VB didn't happen in the end. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about it.

Mummatotwo - I understand the sadness of your decision for a repeat c-section. I too have strong opinions on VB but have never been able to achieve it. I firmly believe that every mother should be supported in her birthing choices no matter what decision she makes, so long as she is fully informed. I agree that the term elective is just so wrong. It implies a choice that we don't always have. I was bullied into the c-section first time round and given inaccurate information but they still called it elective!! Hope you find support for a maternal assisted c-section.

TICKLISH

Mummatotwo- Im sorry about your hospital not being supportive hun. My VBAC will be 16 1/2 mths after I had my DD by emergency c/s and the hospital I am going to is supportive - they have said the risk of scar rupture is a TEENY bit higher but nothing significant or anything to worry about so it's interesting that they won't let you even attempt to labour. There isn't even any research done - most hospitals suggest 18mths gap but even then, people have vbac'd sucessfully with less of a gap. Is it too late to look at going elsewhere? Is that possible for you? I know it is late but it might very well be worth it if it means you avoid unecessary major surgery.

Sorry to hijack ladies!

Charmalea - I totally understand you wanting to at least labour hun. Having a c/s when you don't want or plan one takes away so much from birthing mums. Is there a reason why your c/s is being booked in before 40 weeks or even later? As Ticklish mentioned your cervix may show no signs of being ready but then a few days later it might? I was overdue with Iz and at my check up at 41 weeks my cervix showed NO signs of softening or effacing, hence why I was induced (wrong decision by me) a few days later. My hospital want to book me in at 40 weeks for my c/s if I haven't gone into labour by then (Kelly posted the other day that 0.4% of babies arrive before their due date - so what are my odds of success ) but I am going to push them to let me go to 42 weeks with monitoring every day if that's what it takes to allow me time to go into labour spontaneously.
    I know it is a really hard decision to make hun - trust your body and your heart. Only you know what you truly want, and your body was made to do this.

Ticklish - It is amazing the responses you get when you tell people you have had a c/s. I know I was made to feel that I failed, didn't really experience the birthing experience (even though I was in labour for 36 hours before I had the c/s) and that it was the easy way out. People unfortunately just don't get it and don't understand the damage done physically, mentally and emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    People unfortunately just don't get it and don't understand the damage done physically, mentally and emotionally.
    Yes, unfortunately others are so insensitive. I fear I am so going to lose it the next time I hear that a c-section is the easy way out! What gives people any right to comment or judge AT ALL? We all have different circumstances!

Other insensitive remarks I have had to endure have been in relation to the recovery - such as "soandso is up and about after having her baby, she obviously had a VB!!" Geez - as if I wouldn't love to be able to take my kids out in the car by myself and lift my toddler about (well, I have done that twice actually - BIG MISTAKE!). Just the perfect thing to make me feel like crap for having a c-section and being stuck at home with 2 children and having to rely on help!!

TICKLISH

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast