Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #8

Thats a great idea. And Izzy will enjoy spending her 1 day a week being spoilt by grandma also.

I work 4 days a week atm and I am lucky enough to have mum look after Charli on the days that I work.

I just looked at this thread and thought - mmmm Spice, must be a new member!

Just thought I would post this thread from a while ago we were chatting about VBAC's and it answers a bunch of questions really well. Also wanted to see how everyone was travelling!

HERE it is,(mod approved) and I also wanted to pop in and say I have booked my doula, have stacks of dvd's and books to read and keep researching for myself and am feeling super positive right now! Thanks for all the support ladies!

Tanstar. I felt like a change. I'm hopefully not just going to be Charli'smumma soon so I thought I may as well change my name in anticipation

Sounds like you are really preparing yourself for your VBAC. Good on you! Very interresting article too. Thanks for posting it.

Hi Girls
    Just wondering if anyone knows where i can get some information on maternally assissted CS's i have tried searching and cant find anything. I have read of peoples experiences with it, but im a scientific kinda girl and wan to know the ins and outs. Thanks

Hi Scooby, if I have another cs I am having a maternal assisted caesarean. I found out about it from Paula Beckton who is the first woman in Aus to have one. I will attach the link to her birth story below. It pretty much tells all the ins and outs of it.

template

Best of luck

Tamara

PS: I could give you her email details if required. I'm pretty sure she helped a lady in Perth to negotiate a macs and now one Perth Hospital has done it several times.
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; July 28th, 2008 at 12:52 PM.

It`s very quiet in here, is there anyone else with a c/sec planned?

I`m having a c/sec this time as with my VBAC I received a 4th degree tear which took 5 months to heal I also had a severe PPH at 6 days post birth where I lost 4 litres of blood on the operatiing table and very nearly had to have a hysetectomy, my OB now shakes his head at what I went through and reminded me how lucky I am to be here today and to be given the chance to have another baby.

I have had one c/sec which I didn`t like and felt very ripped off and that I didn`t birth my baby hence my VBAC, this time round I do not have that ripped off feeling, it`s quite a calm feeling although I know closer to the date of my c/sec I`ll be nervous about it.

Hi Deejoy,

Congrats on your pregnancy. I'm sorry to hear you had such a hard time after your VBAC. I'm kind of not surprised you have opted for a cs this time after what you went through.
    I can totally relate to that ripped off feeling after a cs. That's how I felt after mine. Especially because I ended up needing a general anaesthetic so I missed everything.
    I hope your next CS is a much more positive experience. Are you going to write up a cs birth plan? If I end up needing another cs I am going to have a maternal-assisted caesarean (as long a they can get the spinal/epi to work next time of course).

Hi Dee - I am having a planned c-s. I had an emergency c-s with DS after 30 hours of being in hospital. I was induced initally and then induced again after 6 hrs. 24 hours after my initial induction I had only dialated 3cm. I had the hormone drip inserted as the contractions were not progressing in anyway. DS's heart rate dropped and was in distress and a c-s was advised. He basically had gotten stuck and he was in the posterior position (being born face up). It was inconclusive as to whether his position, my size or his size (over 4kgs) were the reasons for him getting stuck. If it was clearer and I could be assured of the reason not happening again, I would try a VBAC. But as we are not sure, I don't want my new bub to suffer in the same way. Also, I was not convinced I could go thru labour without an epidural which is not permitted for VBACs. There is also a good chance that this baby is bigger than DS was. That said, I have decided to return for a repeat c-s, knowing that the risks are higher in general for c-s than VBACs, but I feel reassured that I am in a surgical environment in case a problem occurred at the last minute. I also have a low lying placenta which needs to be scanned again in a week's time.
    My ideal with DS was to not have an epidural or a c-section. I had both and do not remember feeling jibbed in any way - only that my baby was going to be delivered to me safely and for that I am grateful. If i had had a general like Spice, I think I would have felt jibbed.

kel_seewhite Guest

Default scheduled c-sec.

I too am having a scheduled c-sec. on Dec. 5th (OMG that's in 11 more sleeps).

First c-section for me and I am feeling very nervous/anxious about the whole thing.

My first was born in 2005 after 17 hours of labour and then surgery followed as my placenta would not deliver. I have a beautiful almost four year old boy.

I have the scar so that is one less thing to think about. With my 1st pregnancy, it was ectopic and when they were doing the lap. surgery on my right tube, they nicked an artery so they had to cut me open c-section sytle and find out where they made their "mistake". I had a blood tranfusion and nearly died in that second surgery - so hence the nervousness around surgery. Recovery was very painfull

Baby is a footling breech and also has SUA (single umbilical artery) so there is alot going on and just getting this far feels like a miracle to DH and I.

I have done much research on SUA and feel informed, but worried none the less.

Any tips from the experienced c-sectioners on healing and recovery?

Welcome to BB and Good luck with your c/s next week! I would say take the drugs! and get up as much as you can early on. It does hurt a bit but the more you move early on the better you will feel. I kept up my drug relief so I didn't have to worry about caring for a newborn, plus being in pain from the c/s plus feeding etc. It helps to keep the pain at bay while you deal with everything else. Also I have been wearing control top underwear that support my belly and back and they are a godsend as well. Good luck with it all and let us all know how you go!

Hi girls
    Thought i might join in, i am having a planned CS on 13 th of Jan, with Ds i had a bad 3rd degree tear with some ongoing problems, plus a very short perineum seemingly and my mum and nana both have fecal incontinence issues which is the main thing swaying my descion. Its been a really hard one at that i ive tried to get as much info as possible but havent really found anything relevant to my situation, but ive had 3 obs and 2 midwives all say CS is the better way for me to go. But of course ive spoke to a doula and been on a couple of forums and they say there is no reason why not a VB and if ti was only the previous tear i probably would go for a VB, but with the other issues i dont want to risk it, incontinence is aweful! sorry for the waffling, but i am really struggling to come to terms with the CS, i think with having IVF as well i really wanted to take control of some part of this journey, but i guess i will have the rest of my childs life (till shes at least 16 )
    I to would love to hear any recovery tips and is anyone taking anything prior to the surgery to support recovery, ive started taking inner health plus and my vitamins of course plus i study homoeopathics so will be taking them before surgery?
    Stupid question probably but are you taking more PJ's to wear in hospital or clothes and what do you reckon would be most comfy?
    I get what you all mean about the ripped off feeling, i was induced with DS and then CS this time i would truly love to experience goign into it all naturally and although "yes" we are lucky to have our babies but i think we are only human and allowed to feel those emotions.

Scooby,just wanted to wish you all the very best. i had my fiest C- Section with bub number 5,due to medical reasons and it went very well,take care.

hi thought i would right in because i am having a repeat c-section.
    their were problems they did not know about until after the birth of my son i ended up having labour pains for a week could not eat sleep or even move round and they told me to go home and have a panadol finally a week later i ended up dilating but my son was transverse which they never checked he might of never been head first after all, and his head was to big and he was too big for me he had ran out of room, so i ended up with a c-section which was great i felt good after i ate slept and i was up moving the next day healed great but i bled for 7 months which they could not explain, but i bled bad after i had my son they were not sure if it was normal or not. they found out i had an vaginal septum that starts off as one goes to 2 then back to one then cervix then i have a bicornuate uterus.
    with so much problems i thought it is the best way but this one is bigger than what my son was at 6 weeks 4 days which scares me cause my son ran out of room. and they cant tell me if i will bleed for months again or not it only stopped cause i am pregnant, also i ended up with periods that lasted up to 3 weeks
    i am also hoping to have the thing where you can control your own pain medicine once i was off that i didnt even need panadol after a couple of days and i had that pain med for 3 days. so i am hoping for everything to go smoothly and i have my baby the only way i know he or she will be born safely.

Hi Scooby, wear something compfy that wont sit and rub on your scar. Also as I think Tanstar said, support briefs are great.

I had milk supply probs and insomnia after my c-section and I think it was because of the bloodloss and subsequent lack of vitamins and minerals (particularly zinc). So next time (if I have a cs) I will be seeing a naturopath to get a tonic full of all that good stuff to take before and after the cs so that hopefully my body will recover from that part better. I have even contemplated eating the placenta because it's very nutrient rich but I'm not sure I could really do it so i figure a tonic would be the next best thing.
    My advice is get up and get mobile as soon as you can. My physical recovery was good and I attribute it to that. I think if you don't move around you'll get stiff and sore. Oh and as Tanstar said, keep up the pain relief.

Best of luck to you all

Is it normal to feel as though everyone thinks your a wimp or a failure to have an elective c-section??
    I contracted Herpes from a messed up blood transfusion last year, and now i don't want to have a natural birth because there is no way in hell i am going to risk giving it to my baby.
    and everyone is making me feel horrible because i've decided i would prefer to have a c-section.
    My partner had his heart set on it being a natural birth, because he had a little girl to his ex via natural. And he's also making me feel terrible about making a choice about my own body and child.
    The Doctor that i've seen the last couple of times actually went as far as to say to me to "stop being a wimp, yes, birth is painful and that you should just do it naturally"
    After i'd already explained that i wanted an elective c-section.

sorry just realised that this is a page for mothers who've actually had a c-section

Hi SophieRose, no this isn't just a thread for those who've already had a section. You are more than welcome to post in here.
    Sorry to hear you contracted herpes from a blood transfusion . You shouldn't feel at all like a wimp for considering an elective caesarean. It's only natural to want the best outcome for your baby and I think it's only natural to feel a little hesitant to go for a VB when you have the herpes factor to consider. Have you had an outbreak while pregnant or have you been well so far? Just something to consider - Many women who carry the HSV2 virus go on to have normal vaginal deliveries without incident. One of my friends did just that only a month ago. Quite often it is recomended to go on anti-viral meds say for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy up until the birth and this will prevent you from having any outbreaks during this time. Something to consider anyway, but in the end you have to make the decision that is right for you. Best of luck with whatever you choose.
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; December 1st, 2008 at 08:58 PM.

thanks spice and MOM i am willing to try anything to make sure all goes as smooth as possible, i might actually make an appointment with a naturopath, v good idea!
    SR: i would be finding a new DR that is very inappropriate, like spice said there are things you can do to have a VB if you want to, but if you elect to have a CS thats ok too and by no means makes you a wimp, if anything i think CS recovery is alot harder than that of a VB (if all goes to plan) you must do whats best for you and although DH input is important it is your body and only you know whats best. Good luck !

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast