Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having a c-sect Tuesday!

Cool Having a c-sect Tuesday!

Hiya,

My little one has been comfortably bum dwn for months, tried everything to turn with no luck so going ahead with a c-sect on Tuesday...YAY, not long till bubba is in my arms...

Just wondering for those of you that have had a c-sect if you have any words of wisdom or good advise you can offer me on anything! I have never had an operation or been in hospital that matter for ANYTHING (other than visitng someone) so am a little nervous about it all.

Thanks!
    Nets x

I haven't had c/s but wish you well. I bet you can't wait to have your little one in your arms. How special!

Thanks Rach

Hey Caro, I am having bub at Kaleeya in East Freo. There is no chance the baby can turn as the legs are straight, there is hardly any fluid and 1st pg etc.. I have seen quite a few OBs and my own Dr and they all think the same. I am not really keen on delivering my first baby breech either so have accepted a c/s it will be. I asked for it to be next week because if my waters break I will have to rush in and have a c/s anyway.

Only 3 more sleeps!

Netty, take big undies hun, ones that will go over your wound, putting a pad over your wound will protect it alittle and make your pants alot more comfy.

Take some magazines, an eye cover thing, so you can sleep or atleast rest during the day and maybe some ear plugs. Nothing worse than waking up to every ones elses babies screaming when yours is sleeping away.

Wishing you a speedy recovery hun, try not to over do it, you will tire very easily after surgery.

Caro, they like to do the section in your 38th week as they don't want you to go into labour, they'd rather do it when it was convenient for them, not for the baby. Of course they don't see it that way though and will say that it's better to do a planned c section as opposed to an emergency one.

Oh and I forgot to mention, DH is taking 2 weeks off from when I come home so he can help out, drive me around and have some bonding time with bub.
    I am in the middle of a huge cook up this weekend so our freezer is full of meals too (DH is no Jamie Oliver unfortunately). So everything is prepared in that regard... I have alot of family and friends that live near by too that will drop everything if I holler

Good to hear you will get lots of help because it's important you can rest as much as possible afterwards. It is a big operation, so make sure you take lots of time to recover, don't worry about the housework or anything like that! Concentrate on healing and take up whatever offers of help you get - this is not from personal experience, my sister's friend had a c/s last year and I asked her for ideas! And don't be a martyr when it comes to painkillers if you are in pain then you will take longer to heal because you can't rest properly. Sounds weird I know, but true.

Oh, and I meant to add, YAY for having your baby on Tuesday!! I'll bet you can't wait

Hi Netty - Good luck for Tuesday - how exciting you will be holding your little one soon!

I haven't had a c/s but I did have some surgery last year and I just wanted to remind you to take those painkillers when you need them! Also, don't be afraid to ask for help with breastfeeding, they say it can be painful holding baby near the wound.

Good luck!

Ahh I have a way around the whole breastfeeding and pain thing, lay a pillow across your tummy and use that to help hold bub and protect your belly from him/her

Oh yeah and go the drugs Take yourself some really nice shower gel to use afterwards too, you will be amazed how much something so small can make you feel so much better. More human. Goodluck once again. Can't wait to see your birth announcement.

Hi Netty,

I have had 3 c/s, and I think I am a pretty old hand at it now! Not a nice way to get that title though!

You have been given some great advice.......

Can I suggest to you one thing that made me very happy.

They will take the bub away whilst you are being stitched back up, and that can take some time depending on how things run.

I always sent my DH with the babies with video camera in hand - regardless of my prediciment - so that I could feel like I didn't miss anything! Being your first - you will feel a little left out when they take baby and you are left alone - so send your partner with baby! You can also ask for the baby to be brought back to you whilst you are in recovery - depending on the hospital - that was a really nice thing for me when I had #2.

Also make sure that the hospital will allow your partner to stay in hospital for AT LEAST the first night. It's much nicer to have assistance like that than to be buzzing for a nurse all night long.

It's a very exciting time for you........and most importantly - don't listen to anyone who implies or even says that you took the "easy way out"! It happened to me after baby number 1 and it really upset me because people were not even vaguely interested in the reasoning why.

Good luck sweetie!

My gf had a C-section earlier in the year and had to wear stocking/long sock to stop DVT and she had to move around a bit so that she didn't get pneumonia.

Good luck, I hope all goes well..................

Oh yeah, if your after that sort of advice I would back Acbryett. I also made it a rule that bub was not to be bathed, fed or even nursed by anyone other than my partner. Why should my family get to nurse my baby before I do ?? Noah was bought in to me, still naked. The nurse probablu undressed him beofre she brang him in, I don't know, but I do remember getting skin to skin contact when I came back from recovery. It was so nice and meant the world to me. Even if he did wee on me 3 times !!

See if you can take your camera into the theatre with you too. Most Dr's have no problem with this. That way you can get pics asap after bubs birth. What you may think you will remember clearly can easily become foggy with the drugs in your body

Yeah my advice is to keep as mobile as you can - not too much but go for walks around the corridors etc every so often. This will help you HEAPS with not getting so stiff and the pain will ease a lot. My DD was down in the NICU so i had to keep walking down every 3 hrs to feed her. I noticed that i was walking a lot straighter and less pained than other women who were remaining mostly in their beds.

The big undies is a great suggestion and the pad over the wound. The hospital had some massive ones that i used at first but then DH bought me in some slimmer maternity ones which i used instead. And wear loose trackies or similar that won't rub on your wound too much.

Keep up your fluids (which'll help with your milk production anyway) and look into getting either a zoo breastfeeding pillow or a normal boomerang one to rest bub on while you feed.

Wishing you the very best - and you'll be back to your normal self in no time! Can't wait to hear about your gorgeous bub
    Definately keep away from heavy housework for a few weeks - and as for driving i had a break for 2 weeks and then just drove (auto) small distances for the next few weeks.

Awww thanks Girls, all very good advice! I have a boomerang pillow which I was going to take in as I heard they are great for anyone breast feeding. Plus I had bought lots of parachute undies for the hospital (to accomodate the lovely surfboards). great advice about putting one over the wound, thanks.
    After reading about other people's experiences here on babies with them after the c/s (or I shouold say, not being with them) I totally sussed the hospital and aside from the tests they need to quickly do when bub comes out, bub is given styraight to me and with DH, stay with me in recovery and being such a tiny hospital, they said I will barely be in recovery for longer than it takes to have everything sorted out. The only time they take the baby away is if it needs some special care. So I am really happy with that as Iw ant bub straight on the boob and the skin to skin contact. The only person who will be outside waiting for us is my mum as I didnt want anyone else there until later in the day and even then we have only told family. It is remainig a suprise for everyone else.

I dont think DH will be able to stay in the hossy for the night that night but he will be with me all day and we are booked for 9am so it will be a long day for him too. I am a good sleeper and will have my own room there so it will be ok. They leave the epi in for another 12 hours I think (just the pain relieving part not the paralising stuff) so you can self administer that and I certainly will be dont you worry! After that I will take whatever else is on offer. I figure if I can block the pain, it will be easier to be alot more mobile. I find it hard to sit still for long so that will be in my favour hopefully.

Only 2 more days after today and Iw ill be meeting this little wiggler, I cant wait and that is my main focus (so I dont sh*t myself about all the other stuff LOL)

Oh you guys are all so wonderful
    I just spotted the thread and thought all the exact same things but they were all said

I have just decided that once we start TTC for a 2nd that I will have a 2nd C section... I am glad that I have made that decision now so whe the time comes we ca just concentrate on baby making hehe

GOOD LUCK!!!!
    xoxoxoxox

I have a friend who had her 3rd bub via c/s at Kaleeya in Dec 06 (first 2 were vaginal deliveries). She seemed very happy with the hospital, her room was really nice, and she had a 1-bed room. All the best for the big day!

Kirsty77 Guest

Good on you for being happy with your decision hun!!

I've had two c/s's one emergency one planned and can tell you the planned one was sooo much easier. Being your first c/s though it'll be a bit of shock for you especially being your first big op. I was nervous as hell with both.Just listen to what the doctors tell you in the operating theatre, try to remain calm, they do keep a really close eye on you. I didn't feel much just the push when they got her out and then the cry(the most wonderful cry you've ever heard!!) and of course you'll probably cry. They dose you up on morphine so you may get facial itches, and you may be a bit dopey!! But no pain and remember on day 1(the day after the op) they will get you up on your feet so keep your pain relief up, don't be brave, and hold your wound whenever you do anything, avoid sneezing or coughing if possible. ANd take it easy!! Above all us take the time while your in hospital to rest up and limit your visitors if possible. You'll be on such a high though!! Good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask!!

Hey Netty -
    Getting so close now hun huh??
    i back the other girls too,, this is my fourth comming up on thursday (so I wont be on line when you get out to congratulate you as i will be in having my own caesar lol,, but will leave you a message anyways
    But i also recommend keeping an even keel with the pain medications,,, dont let the pain become unbearable before asking for relief as it is so much harder for the staff to get it back to a comfortable level then, Make sure that you get it as soon as it STARTS getting a bit uncomfortable... May seem a bit over the top,, but it makes recovery so much quicker, and you much happier.
    Also, i recommend getting up and mobile as soon as the staff say you can, but have hubby there to help you keep balance,, as that first trip of two can be real dizzy ones where you feel rather faint,, but that is normal. I suggest maybe having hubby take you for your first shower,, or asking a nurse to accompany you in case you do get too wobbly and need a hand. They will gladly do this for you as they would much prefer to give you a steady hand,, than have to rush in and get you off the floor.
    The pillow around your tummy for a first feeding is a great idea,, you could also ask to have help learning what is called the "football" hold for the first few feeds until your tummy is a bit more bearable, as this involves having bubba under your arm to the side,, no where near your tummy, or even feeding laying on your side with bubba on the bed next to you.
    Apart from that,, i agree with Trish,, get that camera in theatre with you as the whole ordeal can be overwhelming and you miss on so much,, as you will only feel tugging, no pain,, but you cant see what they are doing and there are a few ppl in there, with the machines beeping etc,,it is pretty daunting,,, so the photos will be priceless!!
    And the drugs do take a toll on you too, so you will probably be a bit foggy headed later about it all.
    Also,, you might want hubby or a nurse to put some nice thick socks on you when you come out of recovery,, as the epidural wearing off can give you cold restless feet.

Best of luck Hun, and i cant wait to see the announcement about this little ones appearance

Love Lil
    Last edited by Lil_Aussie; February 10th, 2007 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Ladies and Lil I have put socks n my bag! DH is going to send an email around hopefully Tues night when he gets home and I have included three of the girls' email addys that I have from our bb group so you will know boy or girl anyway

I am nervous when I think of the op etc and I am sure my bp will refelct it on the day as it has been going up and up every week anyway. I am just focusing purely on that baby coming out and that seems to obliterate everything else and the nervousness becomes excitement!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast