Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needle in the back - terrified

Default Needle in the back - terrified

HI

I might need to have a cesarean and i am terrified of the needle in the back!! Whats it like, is it painful??

Thanks

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi Sheba! For me they sprayed the area with a numbing lotion first! It didn't feel like much really when it went in - I just had to keep really still which I think was the hardest part!

You will be fine!

xoxo

Sheba, I had a c-section and mine was painful, but only because I have a stupid back, and it kept pinching nerves in my back and shooting pain down my legs. I was on my side at the time with my legs up around my chest (hard with big belly!) and I think that was the main problem. After 50 minutes of trying in and out, in and out, more needles after more needles, they eventually hit the spot. However, my sister (who also has a sway back like me) has had 3 c-sections, just about to go for her 4th and has NEVER had a problem and swears it doesn't hurt at all. Different people experience different things :-) Try not to worry about it too much, its usually over in about 3 minutes anyway... good luck!!

I have the same terror and have 3 c sections. I explained to the theatre nurses my anxiety..they could see it as i couldnt stop shaking and was drenched in sweat and they were really helpful, as well as my darling husband in trying to keep focused. It really is for such a short amount of time that you will be fine, but i do suggest letting them know.

Jo

Sheba - I had a c section for a breech baby and was very scared. It actually was fine! Not as bad as i expected. I was shaking so badly but the staff were so great. At the time it was uncomfortable mainly because of big belly and position i had to be in - but i have no clear recollection of the actual process. It was over quite quickly and then i dont think i thought about again until long after the birth - so no long lasting trauma! The staff said it is easier for a planned c-section, rather than when you are in active labour as they dont have to time the needle in between contractions. /i also asked the staff not to show me the needle or anything as i would have lost it if i had seen it!
    All in all, my c section was a really positive experience.

Hi Sheba ~
    I also had a C-sec because of a breech bub, I don't remember the needle hurting at all & I have a very low threshold for pain.
    They usually give you a needle first that numbs the area, that needle feels like a burning bee sting but it's very bareable! & then the big needle feels like you're being pinched. It's really nothing to be concerened about, I had a really hot orderly who's hand i almost bit off because i was so scared - but it wasn't as bad as i imagined at all.

I don't remember it hurting at all. The main thing for me was keeping still and having contractions!!!!

It hurts but only for a moment....the relief you get after was wonderful!!

They did have two attempts on me and I cursed the anaesthetist out when he said he was going to have another go!!

I was so terrified too and epidural was definately not on my birth plan but after over 24 hours after being induced I wanted it and the fear was gone - I just need some relief. I didn't feel it at all, they do use something to numb it first, and I was more worried about my contractions at the time. The relief is great and then later on I had a spinal block for the c/s and didn't feel that either.
    Good luck!

Hey Sheba

great Q

well some of you would be suprised that I have had an epidural!

I had 3...first one fell out, 2nd one didnt work well and I had a partial block and the 3rd worked a treat (I was 9cms)

Having the epidural didnt hurt one bit! just like a mozzie bite with the local anaesthetic...and there is so much going on you dont really notice it

xx yogababy

Sheba - Try not to be too scared. I had one three years ago and will very likely have one next Sat. The thought of the needle is much worse that the actual event! I found that I did not even feel the needle going in. I might have had a very good anethatist (cannot spell). The worse thing was the epi made me get the uncontrollable shakes but they loaded my up with blankets and that subsided. The caesar was fine and recovered really well. Best thing is your awake to see and hold and kiss your amazing new baby. Good Luck you will be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
    HI

I might need to have a cesarean and i am terrified of the needle in the back!! Whats it like, is it painful??

Thanks
    Why do you think you might need a c/s?? is there a real medical reason??

Hi Sheba,

I was terrrified too!! I went in shaking terribly!! They kept asking me if i was cold or just nervous but i think it was a bit of both!

The only bit that really hurt was the local, not so much the actual epidural, because i remember the anaethetist saying "ok, all done!" and I didn't even realise because it didn't hurt! I remember feeling a popping sensation in my back before he said he was finished though...

As hard as it is, try not to be nervous about it because it's over in a matter of minutes and then you get your beautiful bubba at the end!!

Good Luck Sheba

I agree, the anticipation was far worse than the actual needle itself, you only feel the local anaesthetic needle and even then there was a lot less sensation than other local anaesthetics I've had (in my toe for example). I was surprised when they told me it was all done because I expected to feel more.

Good luck, every blessing to you for your birthing time.

I had a csection with my son...and i was soooo scared the hardest part was staying still....didnt really feel much...but everyone is differnet...

LOL Nat!

Sheba, I am phobic of needles - I particularly hate being cannulated because I have awful veins. So I was very nervous about the epidural. The local stings a bit, but nothing unpleasant, and for me, the epidural going in felt like someone was flicking my back with their fingernail - it was a tapping sensation but not painful. The needle itself I didn't feel.

To be honest, I had had a muscular injection of pethidine earlier in the labour and found this much more uncomfortable than the epidural - I was so surprised at how easy the epidural was.

For me, the fear of the thing was worse than the thing itself!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and bringing your bubba into the world!

Hi.. I have not long had my 3rd cs.. I was scared the first time but it really isn't tht bad, I did find the local anesthetic (sp) hurt like a tiny little sting..

I don't like the numb feeling.. despise it to be honest.. I hope all goes well for you

I've had a c-section and was very scared and shaky when I got it as well, but it didn't hurt at all and was all over so quickly. I thought I'd be terrified at the numb feeling but was ok with it....it took a little while the next day before I was comfortable being on my feet again...in fact that was the most uncomfortable part of the whole thing....just being shaky on your feet afterwards....but everyone is different.

I had gone through 10hrs of labour prior to a c-section decision and had already had some gas which I think helped relax me a little prior to putting it in, so if you can ask for some, try that perhaps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast