Thread: Numbing Cream/Spray - Myth or Fact???

Default Numbing Cream/Spray - Myth or Fact???

Hi Ladies,
    Somewhere along the line I have heard something about a numbing spray or cream that can be applied to your back before the local for an epidural...
    But I'm not sure if it was just a story or whether it is actually something that exists?
    Very scared about the local (weird - but not the epidural)...
    Does anyone know if there is any such thing as a numbing cream or spray that is commonly used before epidurals?
    Thanks heaps,
    Lily

Smile

hi Lily, yes I think there is such a thing but I wouldnt say it was commonly used for c/s unless you asked them about it in advance?

I know my brother who had to have his spinal fluid checked and lots of painful injections due to his leukemia used to have these patches that would numb the area first, I guess there might be something similar in a spray or cream?

Also I don't remember the local being too painful, just a little sting not much different to a regular needle if that helps at all!

All the best!

there is something they use that they will often use for kids requiring needles but I don't rmeember having anything like that for the local. really the local is just a sting (well it was for me) so try not to panic too much - if you are concerned though talk it through with your ob and/or anethatist (sp??)

its called emla, you can buy it form the chemist in patches or tube form its a little expensive

It sounds like you are really worried about what the local & epidural will feel like. I found that the anticipation of it was much worse than the sensation itself. I was quite surprised actually when they told me that was it (I was expecting far worse). HTH

Thanks so much girls - you're right Marydean - I'm really afraid of the local. Probably not so much about the epidural because I've heard that you can mainly feel pressure, not pain, after the local has taken affect. Hope that's true???
    AJP, Jaspen and August-Moon-Mum - thanks so much for your feedback - I really appreciate it. August - sounds like your brother is a tough cookie - I'm worried about 1 needle and he's done heaps of tests - makes me look like a sook huh?
    Have a great day ladies and thanks again.
    Lily

I used the cream when I got my belly button peirced and also put it on my ds when he had his needles.

Lily J EMLA cream is really effective, you have to put it on about an hour before the needle, and cover the cream up with a clear plastic dressing. you will need to put it in the exact spot where the anaesthetist will want to inject the local so check first, and also make sure they are happy for you to use it, although i don't see why they wouldn't.

local anaesthetic can really sting going in, and if you are going to stress about it, and there is something you can do to avoid it, then go for it, i say!

Thanks heaps Mel and Agadoo - looks like I'll be purchasing some Emla! Will check to make sure I can use it and go from there.
    Thanks so much girls - appreciate the help.
    Lily

Hi Lily,

Emla is great when used correctly. It does need to be applied an hour before the injection but it doesn't have a long half life meaning it doesn't last all that long. So you need to get your timing right. You will have about 2 hours from the time it is applied.
    I just bought patches for DD's next lot of immunisations and it cost me about $17. If you are really worried about it, talk to your anethetist soon because it is something they should have within the hospital and can be sourced from the hospital pharmacy saving you some $!!!!
    I had an epidural when I had DD (I had a section) and don't recall feeling the local at all. I felt nothing when the epidural went in (well, until they hit calcified ligament because I have a screwy back). It took my anethetist close to an hour to get my epidural in and he tried numerous spots to get it in. So it is worth keeping in mind that it *may* take more than one attempt to get the epidural in... so you might need more than one patch or to place the cream in more than one spot.
    At the Children's, we put a dollop of cream (about the size f a 20c piece) on the spot and then a piece of tegaderm over that. You can buy tegaderm at the pharmacy.

HTH and try not to stress about the process. The local is great and very effective.

MG

Awesome MotherGoose, thank you so much for all of that info.
    Will speak to my anethetist asap!
    Really appreciate your help.
    Lily