Thread: Question re elective c-sect - Has anyone heard of...

Default Question re elective c-sect - Has anyone heard of...

Hi,
    I have an appt with my OB tomorrow and want to start talking to him about my birthing options. I an almost 14 weeks.

I have multiple sclerosis, and I have some muscular and internal organ issues and feel that I might want to consider having a c-sect for the birth of my baby. I am concerned that I am not going to able to have a natural labour and want to make birthing as good an experience as possible. I would prefer to have a c-sect scheduled than needing emergency help etc.

Getting to the point....

I read an article in the paper earlier this year about elective c-sets being performed when the mum goes into labour rather than scheduled for two weeks before edd....

Has anyone heard of this? What do people think? It appealed to me cause I really like the thought of bubs being born when they are ready, but with the c-sect.

I can appreciate that my OB might not be into this, but I really want to discuss this with him and wanted to get some opinions for you guys too.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I havnt heard of many that do it purposely. Usually its when the woman goes into labour before her scheduled c/s date. But i think even if you planned it that way it's still called an emergency c/s. You could always ask. Do do some more research always helps. i hope someone else has better advice for you.

Stupid me forgot to cut the article from the paper and it is really hard to google ... oh well...

Hey Ruf

an elective c/s is a scheduled event...not at all like labor so to request that you have your c/s when you start labor is prob not something your ob will be too keen on...simply as it is not convenient, and there are a number of staff required for a c/s (6-8 staff)...

you can ask though for your elective c/s to be performed at 39 weeks, giving your baby as much time in utero as possible

so...talk with your ob...be open and honest, explain your feelings. There is always a compromise

good for you to look ahead to your baby's birth...and wanting it to be a special moment for you both

good luck

xx yogababy

my C is scheduled for 6 days before EDD and my second was done at 39 weeks. I got to choose from a few dates with my OB(private) I wanted it done as close to DD as possible.

Ruf , you could ask for your CS to be scheduled on or after your due date, increasing the chances that you will go into labour before then. Just bear in mind once labour has started it is considered an emergency CS not an elective. And you never really know how fast your labour will progress. But definitely discuss this with your Ob and find out what they have to say about it.

I personally don't see why it can't be done, apart from being inconvenient for the staff. After all, plenty of people are booked in for elective c-sections that go into labour and have to rush off to hospy to have their caesar.

Good on you for thinking ahead, and asking the question. I think it's perfectly reasonable thing to request. But don't forget that just because a body has gone into labour doesn't mean the bub is ready, not always the case (though it usually is)

Jodie259 Guest

Rufalina...

I had a scheduled C/S a week or so ago.
    But during my pregnancy, I started to consider having a vaginal birth... so I mentioned it to my ob.
    He was happy to do a VBAC (I had emergency c/s with my first)
    He asked if I wanted to cancel the scheduled C/S and I said "no... but if I was to go into labour before the scheduled date - then I would be open to VBAC".
    And to that he replied "that's fine... if you go into labour - we can look at the circumstances at the time - and decide whether to do a VBAC or C/S then."

Now, I have a private ob... and one of the best... so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    But he was quite happy to do a VBAC or a C/S at the time I went into labour.

If you have a private ob... I can't see why they wouldn't be able to wait until you go into labour - then have a c/s then. The only issue I could see - is if you had an extremely fast labour that didn't allow time for c/s preparation.

Thanks for the thoughts girls. My appt got canceled last week (due to a birth) so trying to see him again tomorrow...
    Will let you know his thoughts then.

Jodie - I am paying him enough... I would like to think he would fit me in... But I know it is asking a lot....

Marydean - I like your suggestion as a backup. Thanks.

Labouring in the lead up to a CS has some distinct advantages. The process of labour helps [re[are the baby for the outside world. The pressure of the contractions helps squeeze fluid from it's lungs in preparation for their first breath, and the "stress" of labour prompts the baby to begin producing adrenaline, which it needs for the adjustment to outside life.

While technically, if you have commenced labour naturally and then choose to have a CS it would be considered an "emergency" CS, what's in a name? I would consider agreeing with your OB that you would like to labour and birth naturally, but with a very low threshold for proceeding to a CS, given your medical conditions. That would give you the best of both worlds.

And in the end, unless they can produce a compelling reason why doing so would harm you or your baby - and that is unlikely, as even in an emergency there is a 75 minute window from the first signs of complications to proceeding to CS for the best outcomes - then they are obliged to respect your wishes. If, after doing the research, you feel that you would like to labour first, and that this would be best for you and your baby, then you should press ahead with that as your plan.

Thanks Guys. I am definitely on for an elective c-sect, infact he was going to suggest that it may be a good option for me anyway. But he said it was too early to discuss tactics / birth plan etc yet. He wants to wait till a bit closer to talk options... So I will just wait, and get my thoughts together and hopefully present a good argument when the time comes.