Hi Layla,
I thought I would chuck my 2 cents in for you. As you can probably see, everyone has had a very different experience. Try not to get too freaked out by it all. I am sure you will be fine!
Was the spinal block/epidural painful? Not at all. I was having contractions at the time so I was a little distracted but I found the epidural to be no more painful than a regular blood test. Sitting still was a little difficult but it shouldn't be a prob if you aren't going thru contractions at the time.
When was the catheter inserted, did it hurt? After the epidural. It didn't hurt, it just felt odd. Neil said the look on my face was priceless when they put it in. I said "Things aren't meant to go up THAT hole" lol. My first wee afterwards stung a little but I was fine after that.
Was your partner with you the whole time? Yes. The only time he was away from me was to "suit up". He was even with me in recovery - many of the others have stated that they weren't allowed to have hubby or baby with them in recovery which I think is quite mean and nasty. Neil was at my side the whole time and the staff were fantasic. They kept everything very light and funny and explained everything which I think is very important. Nothing was a surprise.
Do they check that you are fully numb before they cut? (Huge fear on that one). Yes they do. They used ice to check if I was numb. They put it on my cheek to demonstrate how cold it was then put it on my legs. I could feel it but couldnt' feel the cold. It just felt like someone was touching me.
How long did the birth take and then how much longer to remove the placenta, sew you up etc? The birth was very quick. 10 minutes if that. The stitching up took about 30 minutes. That was the worst part for me because I was feeling very ick. The epidural made me very shakey and I actually threw up during the operation (because I had had a glass of water). That 30 minutes dragged something chronic!
How long were you in recovery for and could your partner and baby there? I kind of already answered this one. But i was in recovery for about 15 minutes if that. I gave Gabby her first breast feed and Neil was with me the whole time. We were even screened off for privacy from the other patients recovering from surgeries. It was funny because they had all been under a general so they were all groggy looking and I was sitting up bright as a button. As soon as they checked my BP etc. I was wheeled up to my room.
When were the drip and catheter removed? The next morning. I wanted the catheter out straight away but I had to wait until about 10am. It was sooooooo good to get it out.
When were you up and walking? 11:30am the next morning (the c-section as at 4:30pm the day before). It was a little uncomfortable but not overly painful. Having a shower was awkward but I think more from fear of hurting myself than actual pain.
Was the bleeding(lochia) heavy/how long did it last? Nowhere near as heavy as a natural birth. Mine lasted about 6 weeks but the last 4 weeks it was very, very light. Probably the last week was only little bits every now and then. I just wore panty liners for the last part.
What pain relief did you have and for how long? All kinds of lovely drugs! I had a slow-release pain killer, panadol, voltaren, and some other one that I can't remember the name of. They keep it right up to you and all you have to do is ask - even if you just feel the slightest tinge.
My advice would be to not over-do it. I felt great in the hospital but I would really notice more pain when I walked faster than I should have or didn't take my time getting in and out of bed. By the time I got home, I didn't require any more pain relief.
Bookmarks