Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the reasons for separation after c/s?

I was never seperated from my baby, she was checked out, wrapped up and handed to her daddy while i was stitched up the handed to me and i was wheeled to my room within an hour post op

Thats a great idea Megan (thinking about it over the weekend and waiting for the US)

I really do wish you the best of luck for the birth of your little boy .

Quote Originally Posted by Megan View Post
    Another reason I want to breastfeed straight away is that I have GD, and if bub has low blood sugar and they wont let him in recovery with me then what will they do? feed him formula? that's a big no no and why he needs that colostrum as soon as possible.
    Hi Megan,

I'm diabetic and my DD had low blood sugars after birth - but she didn't get them for a couple of days. I can't remember the exact reason why (baby brain!) but they are usually born with good BSLs which gradually decrease over the first couple of days. So I guess what I am trying to say is don't let them use the BSLs to separate you immediately. And BTW, what we did is stay together during those couple of days and I took DD back to NICU for feeds and they checked her BSL then. We were initially separated for a bit, but that was for breathing issues not BSL issues even though they were checking them. Hope this makes sense?!

And about the colostrum, I'd be really surprised if you don't have any now even if you aren't leaking. I'm 20 weeks and can express a little already. I'm no expert but I'd talk to the ABA and maybe consider starting to try to express a little now, expressing is a learned thing and believe me I became very familiar with a breast pump LOL

Good luck and HTH

I was told that in the case of a c.section that I would not have baby with me in recovery and I freaked out and asked why. They said because the recovery had other woman in there (shared ward not private rm like when i had my first c.sect), some of whom might have lost babies. To be fair to them they didnt let anyone have baby in with them. SHe also said that the staff in recovery were not midwives....

It upset me so much. Fortunate for me and DS I did not have a c.section.

Megsmum, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm feeling much better about things at the moment considering my scan this morning confirmed that bub is in a complete breech position. I have tried a few things to get him to turn, but he seems happy where he is (or stubborn!), so we are more than likley going to be having a c/s. If I can manage to express some colostrum, DH will be in charge of that while I am in recovery. i spoke to the midwife this morning who said occassionally if it is quiet and there are midwives standing around twiddling their thumbs, then one is likely to sit with me in recovery with bub, but apparently it happens rarely.
    The thought was distressing to me last week, but I am trying to accept it because I want to stay as positive as i can about it all.
    Salsa, that's a valid reason for not having babies in recovery. Although I would imagine that would be the case with bigger hospitals where they have lots of people in and out of recovery every day. Sounds like in the case of my hospital it's just a staffing issue.

Default It can be done at the Angliss!!!

Hi Megan

Well- your story has prompted me to do my first ever post!!

I had two babies at the Angliss- in Sep 2004 and March 2006.

They were both caesarean deliveries- one due to a little breech boy, the other "CPD" (but who knows!).

The issue of separation was one of my biggest concerns. My first birth I'd attended the Birth Centre and was fortunate that the BC Midwife stayed with me throughout my c-section, recovery and back on the ward. This meant NO separation.

My second birth (breech) I was so anxious about routine separation that I started negotiating from early in the pregnancy.

Both births were beautiful caesareans with skin-to-skin AND breastfeeding in recovery- and no separation at any point except very briefly when my baby was delivered- to be wrapped up and returned to me, on my chest or held by my husband near me.

I would recommend making an appt with the Delivery Suite Manager- maybe even fax them- to discuss this and STRESS how important this is to you. Use all the stats about BF success etc. You need to assert yourself very respectfully but insistently that this is what you need for your birth and for your baby.

It has been done at the Angliss- I did it, it simply required a bit of staffing shuffling around.

This is a special moment of your life and your child's arrival into the world. It can be hard to deal with some of the emotions of a caesarean; but I believe having some control helps ease this. I can honestly say my birth experiences (&post natal too) at the Angliss were beautiful and my requests were met to ensure no routine separation.

Good Luck Megan.

Regards

Emma

ps- I also prenatally expressed colostrum with no problems. I will do so for my last baby due in July- (it's not silly, it is providing an option for feeding your baby should they need the extra feed)
    Last edited by Meema; March 25th, 2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: change terminology

I had an emergency CS. I got to see my son briefly and then he was taken away. I have been told that I will be having another CS if I have another "big" baby (HA! not likely). The only positive thing about my experience was that DH had strict instructions that NO ONE except him (and midwives)was to see, touch or hold my child. My hossie made it quite clear that baby couldn't stay with me. It was completely non-negotiable. In the event that I do need another CS the only way that I will agree is if 'they' agree that my baby stays with me.

My DH took video footage of Luke for me - it still upsets me to look at it. I try to tell myself that it was only 2 hours, but it was 2 hours that meant so much to me. Try very hard to negotiate with your care providers. It is amazing what you can get when you ask. I just wish that I had more energy to argue after 27 hours of labour!

Good luck. Do keep in mind though that no matter how baby arrives, you have given him/her life as well as 'birthing' them.

Megan they said the same thing in my hospital childbirth class, and I was/am upset about it too.

As far as I can tell, this is a cost-cutting measure on the hospital's part. They would need to provide a midwife (trained to spot problems with the baby) and a recovery nurse (trained to spot problems with you) in the same room at the same time. And they don't want to do that.

Now I think that's ridiculous, as the midwife who led the class said later that they are there to support us, no matter how long the labor takes, and they can be there in your room the whole time if you need that. Now, in other situations, you might be in labor and needing a midwife for hours and hours, not just the short time you'll be in recovery. So it's silly to suggest that they don't have the staff for someone to come be with your baby in the same room with you.

If I end up needing a c/s (uncertain, but kinda threatened for me, because baby is so large), I hope to express myself very clearly about this and kick up one hell of a fuss if they won't arrange things to allow me and my baby that time together. Even if we have to spend more time in the theatre or whatever. I will be priming my husband and my mum (who I expect to be there) to support me on this one too. I think it's important and I think it's probably one of those things that hospitals expect we will be compliant about, when probably we shouldn't be.

I suggest you discuss with your OB and anyone else you can think of, politely and firmly, until you get them to agree to what you and your baby need.

Meema, sorry I only just saw your post tonight. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Angliss and I am happy to hear that you had two positive experiences there. I am slowly coming around to the idea and will definitely be letting it known what my wishes are. The only thing I am concerned about now is that I will now be referred to an OB (as I am under midwife care) so I will have to start from scratch with someone new. DH is clear on how we want things to go, so if I am not up to it, I know he is capable of speaking up.
    Do you mind me asking who your OB was?

shellbell, I was upset to read about your experience. Being told that it's "non-negotiable" is terrible. It's your baby, surely there should be some flexibilty. I can't stand being told there is no choice or being told that it's "hospital policy" when it comes to something as important as the birth of your baby. I hope your next birth is more positive.

Tenar, I think you are spot on and that it comes down to cost, and your point about how much time they would spend with you if you were having a VB is valid too. If they can spend4-5 hours with you in a delivery suite, then why can't they spare 2 hours for a c/s and recovery? I have found with my antenatal classes that we get 2 different stories. Last week we were told mother and baby are always separated after a c/s and this week (different midwife) we were told that it would depend on how busy the delivery suite is as to whether they have someone there who can stay with me.
    We will definitely be pushing to have bub in recovery, but if it doesn't happen I think I have come to terms with it. DH has definite instructions and I will be asking to be out of recovery and back in my room ASAP.

Looking more and more likley I will be booking in next week. Bub doesn't seem to want to turn no matter how much I try and encourage him.

Just reading your notes re midwvies and VB - I was in labour for 27 hours before the c=section happened and I think I had the attendance of a midwife for probably 45 mins in total. I think it would depend on what type of hopsital you are at - I was at a public hospital in Central West NSW but I think unless you take a midwife with you you are unlikely to get much attention.

I think the other problem is when baby arrives. It was 1048pm when Luke arrived and I didn't get to him until 1am. The hospital had basically no staff at that time of night.

I am not trying to upset you - but I went into labour thinking I would have support from DH and the hospital staff and was disappointed. My mum was supposed to be there but had the flu and Dh was so upset by me being in so much pain that he was fairly useless in helping me fight for the birth I wanted, particularly when all teh doctors are telling you something else!

I'll just be crossing my fingers that I'm there on a quiet day I think! Our midwife said they have been flat out the last 2 months but bookings for April-June are way down.

Megan

I have worked in maternity, recovery and NICU and i can tell you that it is YOU baby. IF you or your husband have the strength then you will win the battle. You are the patient...not the baby. I say have the strength as sometimes it is just impossible to fight for yourself in our medical model hospitals...so sad really but even as a nurse i have felt this.

they can be arrested in qld if they take the baby away from you without your permission!

Megan, I had Dr Peter Lee as my OB and from memory the Delivery Suite Manager (in 2006) was Jan Bates.

I also had to meet Dr Lee for my first time at 39 wks along. I felt quite vulnerable to be establishing an important relationship at such a late point in my first pregnancy (I'd already changed from private OB/hospital to Birth Centre at 36 weeks- hopefully for a natural drug free delivery!!!!)

BUT- I think if you convey that no routine separation is ESSENTIAL for you that they will try to meet this request. I even offered to pay the wages of the extra midwife (it was refused!) as it was something I desperately wanted. I was very lucky my first birth to have a Birth Centre midwife stay with us. The second pregnancy I just kept negotiating and made numerous contacts with Jan Bates to ensure it would happen. I will say I felt nervous about whether they could ensure no routine separation, until the actual birth (which ended up emergency due to going into labour before scheduled c-section). But as I posted before- they were both the best c-section birth experiences- beautiful- and the Angliss can provide YOU with this too!

I really hope you are successful in getting the caesarean birth you deserve Megan. Good Luck!

Thank God I found this thread. I didn't even think I would be able to ask to not be seperated from my baby and that was my biggest concern with the possible C/s I will be getting booked in for next week - unless baby decided to turn around.

My ob is very patronising and I'm really scared about how to tell him what I want. I think I'll probably end up bursting into tears, because I already know what he will say. Is it worth contacting the birthing suite as well?

If I do get booked in it will be for an AM c/s on a Saturday. I'm guessing that Saturday is a fairly busy day. When I asked if I could be booked for the Friday I was told that if I was it would be a 9pm surgery, but after reading this thread - maybe that would be better as there would be more chance that a midwife would be available to stay with me.

The C/s I can deal with. The seperation makes me cry every time I think about it (ie: now - at work - how embarassing). It's the one thing about the birth that has been a constant in the way I picture the birth happening - baby with me immediately after the birth and being given that time to just be.

Ob appointment next week - i'll have to start making a case now. Can anyone give me some points that I need to cover to convince him to help me make it happen? I don't want to go in there balling my eyes out and my reason for wanting not to be seperated to come out as "just because".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    Megan

I have worked in maternity, recovery and NICU and i can tell you that it is YOU baby. IF you or your husband have the strength then you will win the battle. You are the patient...not the baby. I say have the strength as sometimes it is just impossible to fight for yourself in our medical model hospitals...so sad really but even as a nurse i have felt this.

they can be arrested in qld if they take the baby away from you without your permission!
    I was just going to mention this.

They can't take your baby out of your sight if you don't tell them it's ok to do so. The problem is that they can make you feel that you don't have any rights in terms of what happens after your c/s - in fact, you do have rights and the first of those is to have your baby remain with you. Stand up for yourself, that time is way too precious and you can never, ever get it back. It's worth ruffling a few feathers for.

In the absence of any emergency medical issue with you or the baby, this is always about staffing - there is absolutely no medical justification for separating healthy mothers and babies after birth, and plenty of evidence of the harm it does to establishing breastfeeding, and initial bonding.

Good luck.

Meema, I met Peter Lee for the first time yesterday and he will be doing my c/s. I understand what you mean about meeting him so late in the pregnancy for him to perform major surgery and get your baby here safely. Honestly I was a bit worried to meet him, but he was really good especially seeing as it was 6pm and he had delivered a baby at 4am! lol I am booked in for the 8th (originaly 14th,but had a call this morning to change it to the 8th) and I will be 38w6d. Thank you for sharing your experience, it has definitely made me feel a bit more relaxed about everything.

Nixon, I was the same as you when this all came up. I couldnt visualise the birth at all without ending up in tears thinking baby will taken away and I'll be left in recovery by myself. I have been told over and over again I will have to be firm and insist baby stays with me (providing he doesn't need to go to SCN obviously). Thankfully I raised this again at my midwife appt yesterday and she has told me to give her a call today and let her know when I am booked in, she will check who is rostered on and leave a note on the board that I am coming in and would like to breastfeed in recovery so hopefully they can shuffle a few things around. This would be the ideal situation, but slowly I have come around to the idea that if our baby is taken away it's because he needs to be in SCN, or he is safe getting skin to skin cuddles with his Daddy. DH has promised to keep him entertained! lol Good Luck with your OB. If you're anything like me, it's hard to be firm when you request something like this, but it's important to you so I hope you can make it happen.

Spoke to my hospital yesterday and was told under no circustances would they allow baby and mother to stay in recovery together. Their reason was that there were no midwives on the recovery ward. I was told "it's ONLY 30 - 45 minutes" - if that amount of time is SO insignificant to them and SO SO SO Significant to me why can't they give me a midwife to accompany me to the recovery ward for 30 - 45 minutes? Like someone else said earlier - if this was a natural birth I would be taking up several hours worth of midwife time.

I can't stop crying - I was awake at 4am again this morning unable to sleep because of my anxiety over this. I'm ringing other hospitals to find out their procedures, but the one that tries to keep mum and bub together would mean a change of obstetrician. I feel like no one cares about what I want or need. I feel like I'm being treated like an incubator that they can just tell me what is going to happen, cut out my baby and send he or she away without any regard for how I feel about it. The worst part is I'm starting to have some feelings of not caring and thinking that maybe I won't be able to bond with the baby. I'm not looking forward to the birth like I was and I'm really scared that this is the beginning of some sort of depression. I feel like I can't breathe at times and I feel trapped.

I really don't know what to do.

OMG this is horrible. I feel so sad for all of you There is no reason for this!!

When I had my "emergency" c/s 4 weeks ago DD was given to DH immediately and he sat beside me and held her and held her up to me while they stitched me up. Once I was stitched up and they took the sheet down etc she was immediately unwrapped and put on my chest and she had her first breastfeed and everything. She stayed on my chest the whole time and while I was wheeled back to my room and then they weighed her etc and gave her back to me. I wasn't seperated from her the whole time I was in hospital and that's how it should be!!

I would just tell them that you WILL NOT be seperated from your baby if there is no medical need, they can not take your baby away from you if you don't let them so be strong! And get your DH on side and let him know exactly what he has to do. If I was having this problem I would just tell my DH that under no circumstances is he to let them take the baby and he is to hold onto the baby and stay with me. What are they going to do forcefully take it from his arms? I really wouldn't care if they got cranky with me if they were being so unreasonable.

omg this is making me so angry to you both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast