thread: What are the reasons for separation after c/s?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Follow Pandora On Twitter

    Jan 2005
    cowtown
    8,276

    i would keep stressing to them that you want a midwife with you in recovery, breasfbfeeding, skin to skin etc. your body heat if baby has skin to skin, and a warm blanket on top should keep bub warm int he theatre, its not like the baby s lying naked alone.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    Country Victoria
    1,991

    I agree rayray... those oven heated blankets were lovely, they were pilling them on me in recovery, that and your skin is definatly enough

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Add Jakabella on Facebook

    Nov 2007
    in Love!
    2,586

    The way I see it and the way they explained it to me at my hospital is that if bub was fine then she was with me apart from weighting and measuring... and I had warm blankets and a silver tube put under the bankets that had warm air blowing from it... I was boiling so there was no way that DD was getting cold!
    I would stress that that is what you want and if bub is ok then that what you should get!!

    Kate

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Oct 2003
    Forestville NSW
    8,944

    I had an emergency c/s in 2004. My DD was put into my arms before I could move them properly while I was in theatre still. She came to recovery and they put her on my chest once we were there, the midwife had her on my breast within 30 minutes of birth. She did not leave my bed. DH was sent out while I was in recovery but DD stayed with me. Even when everyone left & we were left to rest, she was left in my bed.

    I had specifically requested beforehand that I wanted her to be with me as long as she was healthy no matter what and they complied with that.

  5. #5
    BellyBelly Member

    Oct 2007
    Gold Coast
    860

    I had an EC with DD. She was on my chest while I was being stitched up and held by DH when I couldn't hold her anymore (I had the anesthetic shakes) Then straight back on to me while DH and I were both in recovery. She was feeding (and pooing) on me within half an hour I'd say, before I left recovery, for sure.
    I had no idea it was any different in other places. I would be putting my foot down if I were you. I can't think of any reason, other than immediate health problems, that should stop your baby being with you straight away.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Nov 2004
    Melbourne VIC
    1,733

    DD, you brought up one of my biggest issues. I've definitely thought about the family thing too. To the point that we probably will not tell family I am going in for a c/s. If they do happen to know, they are not welcome at the hospital until well after he is born we are settled and have had our own time in the ward. After all, we would have had that special time after VB in the delivery suite, and I don't want to miss out on that because of a c/s.

    It's good to hear that it does happen - you can get that time with your baby after a c/s, but I get the impression I am going to have a fight on my hands. Another reason I want to breastfeed straight away is that I have GD, and if bub has low blood sugar and they wont let him in recovery with me then what will they do? feed him formula? that's a big no no and why he needs that colostrum as soon as possible.

  7. #7
    2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    May 2007
    Brisbane
    5,310

    I think that sounds like the best idea (no to tell family) becaues they'll be lining up at the hospital waiting in your room for you when you come from recovery and just being downright annoying. And if bubs is taken back to the room while you are in recovery there is a chance they'll have cuddles before you... thats something that would have made me explode... so yeah I'd just hold off and tell them afterwards. Let it be a surprise You can let them know after the birth if/when you want them there.

    Ok so the scenario you described is what happened to us. Mine was an unplanned c/s, and after a quick nuzzle Shel and Jazz were gone before I even knew, and back up to the room while I waited in recovery for close to 2 hours.

    I have been pretty upset about this, I lost that time with my new baby, and it did have an effect on PND. BUT it wasn't all negative - Shel had skin to skin with Jazz until I got there, which was great for their bonding, and at least my little babe got that contact. Our first breastfeed was 2 hours after birth, and yes even though there was that and the c/s our bfing relationship is fine, 7.5 months on and still going great so it isn't the be all end all. It sometimes upsets me still that I lost that time, but ... I try to think of it as 2 hours... 2 hours out of her whole life... the longer I dwell on that, the less time I am spending with her right now KWIM? They say its the most special and magical time, and yeah, it is, but then... it all is So if worst comes to it and you aren't allowed bub in recovery, its ok It might be disappointing, but you'll have so much time the rest of their life (or at least childhood LOL), try not to dwell too much on those first two hours.

    As for the colostrum. Ok. Are you able to express some now? If you start trying now you could be able to take it to the hospital so that if bubs blood sugar falls and you aren't there they can give him your colostrum rather than formula? Your partner could feed the colostrum too?

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Apr 2007
    NSW
    775

    Another reason I want to breastfeed straight away is that I have GD, and if bub has low blood sugar and they wont let him in recovery with me then what will they do? feed him formula? that's a big no no and why he needs that colostrum as soon as possible.
    Hi Megan,

    I'm diabetic and my DD had low blood sugars after birth - but she didn't get them for a couple of days. I can't remember the exact reason why (baby brain!) but they are usually born with good BSLs which gradually decrease over the first couple of days. So I guess what I am trying to say is don't let them use the BSLs to separate you immediately. And BTW, what we did is stay together during those couple of days and I took DD back to NICU for feeds and they checked her BSL then. We were initially separated for a bit, but that was for breathing issues not BSL issues even though they were checking them. Hope this makes sense?!

    And about the colostrum, I'd be really surprised if you don't have any now even if you aren't leaking. I'm 20 weeks and can express a little already. I'm no expert but I'd talk to the ABA and maybe consider starting to try to express a little now, expressing is a learned thing and believe me I became very familiar with a breast pump LOL

    Good luck and HTH

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Nov 2004
    Melbourne VIC
    1,733

    that's what I thought about skin to skin. even if the room is a little bit cold, your body temperature adjusts itself to keep baby warm, and if you can have a warm blanket over the top, it should be fine.
    Last edited by Megan; March 19th, 2009 at 09:37 PM. : can't spell

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    Country Victoria
    1,991

    Megan - can I add, if worst comes to worst and you cannot have bubs with you in recovery. Do discuss with DH about your wishes.

    I had asked DH that under no circumstance was anyone (family etc) allowed to so much as see a peak of my baby until I was there. I hate the thought of everyone sitting around bonding with my baby before me. I have heard of woman going under GA and coming out to grandparents cuddling there baby before they even saw them for the first time. To me this is horrible.

    I don't mean to upset or scare you but it is best to discuss these things, just in case.

    I do hope you get to have your precious baby with you.