Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of pain relief did you have after your c-section?

Oh basically I accepted every form of pain relief and insisted on more if I needed it!

Hi,
    I had a suppository... they work wonders however, the one that I had is only administered every 12 hours and any more than 3 (or maybe 4) could give you diarreha so just keep that in mind but I would definitely recommend that as a pain relief. I also had morpheine but that really spaced me out for a couple of hours. Good luck.

I was offered Voltaren and Panadeine Forte or Panadol.
    I suffered from diarrhea, which can be a side effect from Voltaren
    I wasn't offered Morphine, but I had used it when I had a knee reconstruction and it made me hallucinate and not be able to sleep....

Quote Originally Posted by august_moon_mum View Post
    Hmm... Depends on what is happening after the baby is born. In my case, my DS needed an operation immediatley after birth. He was in NICU for 16 days and was born via emergency c/s. I was going to be induced at 37wks, but he decided to come even earlier at 36.2wks.

So in my situation he was on a different floor in the hospital, and without pain relief I would have not seen him. My only concern was for my baby and I insisted on getting up and going to him within 11 hours, the time you are expected to wait post (spinal) c/s. In all honesty I never considered the way I felt, I did not sleep or sit still for those first 16 days, I just did what I needed to do and I had recovered by the time it got to sink in really.

How many days do you think you will be in the hospital?
    nothing against you, but I too had to walk to seperate building up 3 floors I was walking to him within 15hrs but had been up at 8hrs in a wheelchair to see Jack in SC and as I said it really depends on what sought of pain dont expect the worst as I said earlier I only took

wow i must have been lucky I had panadol every 6 hours and 3 nurofen a day only cause the nurses gave them to me, and I had to walk a long way to SC nursery to see Jack I continued with the nurofen till we got home as we had to go from townsville to moura (10hr + drive)

lots of morphine they gave me....but to me it wasnt enough lol i wanted more cause that night was horrible pain...

I have no idea!! I just know that I was out from after waking up in the recovery room say about 9:00pm to the next morning about 8amish. I do have a faint memory of DH bringing me a cellphone recording of dd as they placed her on the table and her crying and I do remember crying when I saw that. I did have a drip in, so it must have been some really good stuff. They took the drip out at 10am and let me get my groove on in the NICU to go and hold dd for the first time.
    After that tablet for my stay in hospital. And I just ditched them when I got home, did not want them and tbh it was the kind of pain I could handle. So all in all, looking back, it was not that bad. Did hurt when I had to roll over in bed, but other than that just fine.
    I have to add that I did not need to take care of a baby and did not have to bf, because I was expressing. If I HAD to take care of bubba right away AND bf, it might have been another story

hey haven't read all the responses but i had morphine type tablets and voltaren, and i know this sounds gross, but occasionally i had voltaren suppositories which were meant to be the best thing.... i think they were, i mean u sort of get over the whole modesty/gross thing long before then anyway... i was told they were the best thing and i reckon they were.

by the time i left hospy i was just taking the odd panadeine for the first couple of days and then was fine.

oh arent those suppository things the best.. I swear it took away all pain..

Mind you, be aware that codeine can make you constipated... that's worse pain than the c/s IMHO!

With Alex, after overnight in the ward (can't remember what they gave me) I took two panadeine in the morning and nothing after that. I do regret not taking the pain relief as it took me a fair few weeks to recover.

With Ned, I took pain relief (panadeine, voltaren, panadol) every 4-6 hours. I started off on Endone but couldn't stop vomitting so we stopped that one! I also ended up having a massive fever on Day 3 which resulted in some fantastic antiviral drugs and antibiotics for 48 hours - that's a medication story all on its own!

Although, with Ned I did request laxatives from the anaesthetist - I wasn't ending up with an anal fissure like I did with Alex! He though I was joking until I told him I was serious... and then he told me it was a very wise idea and he was surprised more women didn't ask for it, especially after what most anaesthetics do to your bowels! And if you don't poo for 24-48 hours, it gets very very difficult and can cause problems...

HTH.

hi keira

during my emergency c/s the drug chick told me she was giving me morphine.. but a slow release type one that lasts 8 hrs.. i had that and it made me sick as hell so i refused morphine from that point on... also they said they gave me the suppositories (sp?) up the bum.. lol

when the 8hr morphine thingy wore off, i just took panadol and voltaren and that was it.. i wasn't in any pain really, it was more my muscles than anything.. but everyone is different.. its hard to say what you will need or want until you have the c/s

good luck with whatever you choose...

i forgot to add that they wanted me to take endone.. but after that morphine there was no way i wanted it.. they just didn't believe that i didn't need pain releif..

I had an emergency c/s and on the first night they administered morphine via the epidural site, then it was endone and panadol as I am allergic to brufen (ibuprofen) based anti-inflammatories. So my pain was verrrrry slow to recede because I couldn't take anti-inflammatories, hence they kept me on fairly high doses of endone until I left hospital 5 days post-op. At home I was on panadeine forte for a day or two, then just panadol as needed.

ETA - Oh Divvy, I hear you on the constipation pain - yeeeesh! I was on lactulose post op because I'd suffered horrible constipation during pregnancy, but even so it took a while to work. Oh the pain...
    Last edited by suse; January 18th, 2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Updated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12