Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i know if we're getting any money back from centrelink?

Default how do i know if we're getting any money back from centrelink?

DH received his tax back last week, im sure we overestimated, so when do we find out if we get any money back? or can i assume that because tax came back last week we wont be getting any?

Just call and ask. That's what I did and it hadn't been processed after 2 weeks, 2 weeks later it was.

We got our tax back a few weeks ago and when I rang to see what's going on, they told me everyone has to give it about a month before chasing up payments.
    There was a thread around about this very subject but I don't know how to link!

Yes but you can call to see if you will be receiving a payment is what I mean.

cool! will call later!

Or you can check it out via their online services if you are registered for it.

They wouldn't even tell me that, it's all new to me so maybe I wasn't asking the right questions!

I recieved my CCB reconciliation the day before tax went in, and then the ftb reconciliation was about a week after.

Olive, do YOU have to do an tax return? if not, you need to notify c'link/fao yourself that you have no need to lodge, and what your income (if any) was - it can take a couple of weeks from the date on your DH's notice of assessment for FAO to receive the details, but if there has been no notification that you yourself don't need to lodge, your file will sit there indefinitely "pending" your confirmed income. you can notify of non-lodgement over online services, but personally, i'd do it over the phone - that way they will process it straight away and let you know what information is still "pending" or they may be able to give you your outcome during the call

HTH's
    BG

thanks BG, the place we did our tax said that because i havent lodged one in a few years that i didnt have to notify them ...ggggggrrrrrrr!

you may not need to notify ATO but you have to notify c'link each year cos ATO doesn't bother to let us know!

Argh! I notified ATO and thought that was all I needed to do! Far out! Are the ATO supposed to notify C'link?

No Nelle I don't think they're supposed to notify C'link... it's a trap for young players

Well, this young player was fooled, but who's laughing now system...overestimation for the win!

Hahaha enjoy it, won't you

I overestimated by several thousand and still fell about $700 short of what I was expecting, no idea why. I got one of the FTA per child, I got the FTB per family. I suppose I only got it for one child because I get child support for the other? That or they balance the kiddies separately these days and my ex hasn't done his tax yet ...

it depends on HOW you overestimated
    if you overestimated your combined income, but underestimated the lower income earners income, you can still be overpaid ftbb - i have noticed that the system is using ftba supplements to pay ftbb debts BEFORE it uses ftbb supplement, so it can be confusing
    if you have a low maintenance assessment at the start of the year and that goes up later in the year you can also be overpaid ftba and rent assistance.
    if you happen to cop both of those happening, it's very easy to happen

there should be no reason why you got supplements for only one of your older children unless the other was used to pay back the overpayment you mentioned. they are balanced at the same time. your ex doing his tax (unless he was a current partner in the 09/10 financial year) won't impact payment of your supplements

I underestimated both of them, and e-tax said I had no tax owing, just various credits. The A and B I got back were both slightly over the minimum supplement - for *one* child.

Last year we did our tax early and had to wait months for the FTA/FTB stuff to come through (I got my normal return within 2 weeks) because my ex hadn't done his tax. He's actually never been my partner for tax reasons, I wasn't with him long enough ... yet my tax and a fair slab of my income each year is 100% reliant on him. Lovely the way someone you shagged a few times in 2000 is financially attached for the next 18 years, eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast