Thread: When does the cycle start ? Very confused now?

Default When does the cycle start ? Very confused now?

Hey everyone, just some background. I thought I might be posting in the announcements section by about this time but it was not to be so ? So AF is late (should have arrived last Friday) so I'm a week and a day overdue. The other day I thought I'd go and get a blood test and see for sure because all the POAS tests were coming up -ve ? Anyway blood test comes back -ve too and I thought what the heck is going on then? I mentioned to my DR that my ovaries kinda hurt and she said I might be ovulating ?? So I'm confused now because I thought that I ovulate about 2 weeks after AF (last month) so I wouldn't be due to ovulate for at least another week if AF had arrived ? Aaaargh I'm starting to stress out with the whole counting of days and trying to understand my cycle Can anyone shed some light ??

Sorry to hear your AF is so late and you aren't UTD that happened to me a few times especially when I was coming off the pill (March07) I had some very strange cycles as my body was regulating again. It's regulated now however AF was 5 days late just the other day! That was annoying Have you just come off contraception?

Once your AF shows up, cd1 then you will just go from that and should ovulate approx 2 weeks after that.... as for iiregular AF's, if you are concerned I would see a Dr to get it checked out if you find it is happening a bit.... otherwise if you are stressed it could be stress related? Good luck I hope you get your BFP very soon! (with me!)

Hi prettybutterfly.. cycle counting can be a bit confusing!!

The idea is that cycle day one is the first day of AF or bleeding... ideally we ovulate at around day 14- but EVERYONE is different, and even some people who consider their cycles like clockwork still ovulate at strange times!!

If/when AF is late and there is no BFP, you just keep counting the days till you bleed, and it just shows as a loooong cycle. In the months i was TTC and counting my cycle progressed from 29 days, next month 30, next month 31, next month 32 days... VERY FRUSTRATING!!! I was also using ovulation prediction tests and i found i generally ovulated on about day 19, then 20, then 21 etc etc...

Now the other strange thing our bodies can do is ovulate twice, once early in a month, and again later, this happen more often in a looong cycle, which it sounds like you are having, which is why your dr may have suggested you were ovulating... i would look into getting some ovulation prediction tests (yes more POAS for you!!) as they can help you figure out just what is going on in that body of yours.

Good luck, and i hope you get something definate to go on soon!! I hope i have helped even just a little!!

SB
    xoxox

and definitely using OPKs is helpful too I find! As i can ovulate between cd14-cd18 i find!

Oh thanks you guys, that really does help ! I came off the pill last June (2007) so I thought I might be just getting into a rythm you know ? When I went to the DR and she told me the blood test was negative she gave me a number to book in for a ultra sound and more BT's . She is also checking for Diabetes because on top of everything else she said my sugar levels were a bit high in my urine so they'll check for that in my BT that I had done on Friday. About an hour ago, I went to the toilet and I had brown staining on my underwear (sorry if TMI) so I think AF is coming around ( 9 days late).

As for the stress part, I guess with all the wishing and wondering and getting emotional about not getting a BFP (even though technically we are not really trying, just not being careful ? ) Officially we are TTC next month but, I can't help but worry now that something might be wrong with me since I probably should have fallen pregnant by now ? I am going to Tweed Heads on Tuesday morning and we are hiring a car and going to Brisbane and Gold Coast etc. We haven't had a break for a year and a half so yeah, I think with all that is going on stress may definitely be a factor ! So I'm hoping to just relax and enjoy 13 days away with my DH and deal with test results and things when I get back...... Oh my gosh I just realised ! AF is going with us !!!!! Aaaargh

Thanks for the well wishes and advice, Brightstar I am going to try the OPK and Renstar I hope you get your BFP this time darling, :goodluck2: Who knew getting pregnant could be such an "adventure"

Thanks again

Hey, i live near Tweed Heads!! So does renstar too i think!! LOL How weird!!
    I hope you enjoy your little break!!

TTC is one of the most nerve wracking things to do in the world!! It astounds me how easily some people can fall pregnant in life accidently from a one night stand or something like that, and then people who try so hard and do everything they can to help still find themselves waiting waiting waiting.... even if there is nothing 'wrong' it just takes a looong time sometimes!! It certainly is an adventure!!!! In PE class they made it look so easy, sperm meets egg, hey presto!! LOL But the reality is a lot more complictated!!

Try not to stress too much, and go with the flow as much as possible, coming off the pill, some times makes things take a little bit longer for your body to find its rhythm, but it will get there!!

Good luck and have a great holiday.. i hope the rain stays away for you- its been a tad wet here lately!! LOL

xoxox
    SB

Oh hey, thanks starbright ! How weird that you guys live near or in Tweed Heads ? Cool, I'm going to say hi to every pregnant woman I see and say "Starbright??" hahahahah! So if you get stopped by a shoulder length brunnette haired girl with a bald husband who look like they are on holidays, don't worry it's just me ! ha!

Thanks guys !

Jane xx

LOL
    I will be shopping in Southport(near the gold coast) tomorrow with my mum!! Look for a blonde lady with a huge belly in the baby sections of any shop!!!!!! LOL