Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Pre School

crazymumma Guest

Default Cost of Pre School

hi
    My daughter is starting pre school in 2008, and i was shocked to see that the fees are in excess of $800.00
    Is there anyone else coping this ridiculous cost for such a neccessary educational and transitional experience?
    IT SHOULD BE FREE!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure?? DD's was $60 in 2006....is it a government school??

Our fees are $800 per year - is yours a private preschool or a public one? There are also rebates available too depending on what your income is - ask your preschool about it. if Labor can get through some of their early education policies, the cost of preschool should get a lot cheaper.

3yo and 4yo kinders are different: 4yo alot more expensive as the govt doesn't rebate. We pay about $800 per year too for 3yo.... but it will go down a bit next year when he is in 4yo kinder. Instead of $200 per term it will be $160 I think. The thing that annoys me is that 3yo hours are about half that of 4yo hours per week.

we paid $95 a term for 3 yo kinder and 4 yo was free in the country due to the drought (this is in Victoria to)
    we start prep next year - $1000 for the 2 of them but its a catholic school.

Well up here the 4 year old kiddy wanted $500 per term plus a $90 funding fee plus you had to come it once a term to help int the garden or what have you or they would slug you another $70 for that..So unfortunally we could come up with that type of money so she didnt go this year..But Prep is part of the school now so its just your normal school fees I think... But we are moving to melb next year and still like to pretend that I will be able to get my DD1 into kindy LOL which I know will be next to imposable.....Its nice to live in hope sometimes...

Wow we are pretty lucky in WA then i guess!!!

I just wish they would bring in a national school system as its so hard for those of us who move around this great country of ours..

We payed about $1000 this year for DD to go to pre school (called kindergarten in some states) this was for 1 day a week from 9am-3pm. Helping out is voluntary.

Tali I agree that the schools should be on the same system across our great nation, I moved around a bit as a kid, and I feel my learning was disjointed because of the different systems.

My son goes to daycare is that different than pre school???? He just turned 3 and soon he'll be moving up to the big room where they do an early learning programe.....I pay $50 per day ATM he goes 2 days a week. i get a small subsidy from Centrelink bout $8-11 per day which is better then nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by tali View Post
    ... But we are moving to melb next year and still like to pretend that I will be able to get my DD1 into kindy LOL which I know will be next to imposable...

Tali -- impossible financially, or impossible you don't think you'll get in? 4yo kindy here varies a lot depending on where you live, so in some areas you have to apply when your child is very young where in others you CANT apply until the year before they go. When did she turn 4? If it was before april 07, then she will go straight to school/prep not to kinder/preshool at all..

Kinder cost varies too. Ours councils for 2008 are:

Term fee for 10 hours per week = $137.00
    Term fee for 12 hours per week = $175.00
    Term fee for 14 hours per week = $235.00

You can also ask about payment plans through your council as they often have them.
    If you have a healthcare or pension card then you don't pay for 10 hrs/wk or 12 hrs/wk kinder.

Its so different where we are... I'm so confused LOL

Matilda goes to montessori which is for 3-6 yr olds. It says "preschool" on a flag out the front to help people understand the age groups. We pay $42 a day and we get a percentage off from the government. So it fits under the child care levy...

We are looking into montessori schools which are from 6yrs old and they obviously aren't subsidised.

my dd's first preschool was $50 per day

Aidyn is going to 4 yr old kindy next year, only 2 days per week... and the fees are over $400 per TERM. Plus assorted levies on top of that!!
    Not sure if it can be subsidised by Centrelink at all... will need to find that out.

Thats crazy Ambah! Is it run privately or is it through the coucil, in QLD?

DoubleK Guest

wow i had no idea it was so pricey!!

Ummm, I think its private. I had him on the waiting list with no idea of the fees...
    And there is nowhere that is closer (we need to walk there as I don't drive), or as good in our suburb.
    They call themselves a community Kindy, but its not a C&K or anything like that.
    Its really, really good though... we had orientation the other week, and it makes Aidyns current daycare look very average in comparison. Its a very nurturing and creative environment, all the teachers have uni degrees, as well as kids of their own, and are just very very interested and passionate about children and child development, so we feel that we might be letting Aidyn down by not giving him this experience, as he will get so much more out of it than his current daycare.

ETA - up until this year it used to be a preschool (ie, for 5 yr olds, the year before grade 1). But since they have introduced Prep compulsorily in primary schools for 5 yr old, I guess they have had to replace it with a kindy program.

Ray - Thanks for the Info I hope to get her in next year as she is a May baby just thought that it might be too hard due to placements...

Ambah- Prep in Qld isn't compulsorily everyone just thinks it is.. The schools have to take you if you want your child to go but you dont have to send you child to school until year 1..As I tried to hold back my DD1 but was told that if I didnt take her to prep then the next year they would just put her into yr 1 whats the point in that I have know idea so now she will be going to prep next year to only be taken out and maybe go to kiddy in Melb.. they still have alot to do to fix the system up here, as we are still not in line with other states...As far as I know all kiddys in QLD or up here anyway have alway been very expencive most are private as I think you have to almost get them in at birth for the very few goverment ones I dont even know where they are up here. I was told buy the kiddy last year when I thought about putting in DD1 that It is better for your pocket to take them to daycare kiddy program as you get money back if you are your partner are in the right bracket.iykwim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast