Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Info about Circumcision!

Smile Any Info about Circumcision!

Hi everybody. I will have a baby boy in less than 2 months this is my first baby and I want him to be circumcised. I need your advice about this matter. I live in Sydney, does anybody know where can I get him circumcised here in Sydney? and also when is the best time for doing this? immediately after birth or later? thanx in advance

I would just like to say that the OP is simply requesting information about where she can get it done and when is the best time to get it done as she has already made her decision - please refrain from turning this into for and against debate. Thank you.

I can't help you out on who to take him too, but as for when to get it done, it really depends on who you take him to - some will do it soon after the birth and others will only do it when they are older. its something you will have to ask the Dr when you see them.

Ellibam Guest

im not sure about in sydney but i know here in adelaide its performed by 2 plastic surgeons. i also think it depend on the style of circumsision at to the "best' time to have it done.
    good luck with trying to find what you need

There are 2 main methods - the first being done with a Plastibel band within 10 days of birth, and the 2nd way is surgery (cutting) which would be performed when baby is older.

We used the Plastibel method when ds1 was 8 days old and he suffered no visible trauma - not even a few tears or grizzles at the time or afterwards. The surgery option is reputed to be more painful and they need an anisthetic. This time we will be using the Plastibel and getting it done while we're still in hospital. Many private hospitals will offer this service, but you'll find public hospitals very reluctant to give you any info.

I would suggest you ask your hospital, and if they are not forthcoming then you will need to get a referral from a gp or peadiatrician to someone who will perform you chosen method. Oh, and google plastibel so you can read the pros and cons.

Hi and thanx everyone for your help. Dear Sherie I didn't understand the first part of your note which is written in red, I think I have done something wrong regarding this post, But I don't know what? could u please explain more , BTW what does OP mean?

Hi Parisa OP means Original Poster ie you. Sherie was just hoping to remind people not to use this thread as a debate thread. Some people are against circumcision and it can get heated. You didn't do anything wrong.

I am considering having my older son circumcised as he has phimosis (foreskin too tight, won't retract, cause pain when he wees etc). So I am curious as to the procedure too. My younger son is fine and won't need it.

Oh thank u so much Bathsheba. I thought I have broken the rule of the forums, if u got any info about circumcision and also which method is safe ( plastibell band) or (surgery) and where can I get it done here in Sydney, please let me know, Thank u all

My sister mentioned a guy in the Inner West (burwood) maybe. Ill ask her next time I see her and try and get a name for you. Might be a couple of days though, as she has a newborn... But I will be back...

If you are doing it for religious or medical reasons hospitals are more forthcoming with the info. if we have a boy we will get the plastibel done as they heal better when they are younger.

hi,

i dont know where abouts in sydney you are but there is a docter in Greenacre that does circumcision.
    I will be getting my son circumsised there when he is about 10 days old,they say the earlier the quicker it heals.

Im not sure of the docters name but he is on Juno Pde Greenacre

Hope that helps

I think we got our DS done when he was about 3 weeks old and it was the plastibel type thing. He healed really well and looks great. I rang my OB and asked him after DS was born if he did them, and he did, but only till they are 10 days old. So I just called another OB and he did it without a referral or anything, just went in and did it. Cost $350 though.
    This isn't in Sydney, but thought it would be of some help because I just rang around OB's in the area.
    Good luck!!!!

We had our ds done when he was 5 weeks old. Our dr does this up to 6 weeks of age and uses the plastibell method. DS had no problems after it either. It only takes a few minutes and bub was back with us around 15 minutes later. Maybe you could look up a dr in the phone book. Ours mentioned circumcision in the ad for the drs surgery. Hope this helps you.

Default Surgery

We had our son done at 6 months old via surgery (in Melbourne). He had anaesthetic and was in and out within 30mins or so. They gave him a local anaesthetic in the area for when he woke and we gave him Panadol every 4 hrs for the rest of the day, but from the next day on you wouldn't have even known!

Once the gauze came off, we bathed him with a little salt in his bath water & he healed up beautifully.

We would definately do it again with our next son. Hope this helps.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

THANKYOU everyone for such a respectful decision on a topic which almost always blows up! Great to see! Just beautiful. Mods will live an extra year longer with one less stress LOL
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

My DS was done at 3 days by my obs at a private hospital in Sydney. He had the plastibel and seemed to suffer no ill affects at all. I know a friend's paed does it, he is northern sydney. Where are you?

I had Jesse circumcised by Dr Bell in Castle Hill. He does it up to 6 weeks old.. after that i think they have to wait until theyre 12 months +. He uses the plastibell. He was such a lovely doctor/OB. Would definately recommend him. It cost $250 and i think i got about $100 back from Medicare. Personally i think its best soonish after birth. That way at that age bubs isnt moving around much yet which id say would be better for healing (thats just my opinion). If you want his details send me a PM.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; March 11th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

HI Parisa, we had our consultation with the GP this afternoon and are booked to have a plastibell procedure done on Thursday. I am in Brisbane, so can't help with anyone who does it in your area, but I can definately recommend the plastibell procedure to anyone interested. We had our first son done later - at about 16 weeks, due to health issues (he was born with heart issues which needed surgery at 12 weeks) but have decided to get our second son done earlier. He will be 2 1/2 weeks when the procedure is done and the Dr said that the younger they are the quicker they heal.

Wow kell, yours was dearer than mine, my obs charged $35!! and i only paid $7 of hat from memory! then again he did it when we were still in hospital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast