Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: to circumsize or not to circumsize?

Thanks for posting Barb! AND OMG congratulations, did I miss the announcement somewhere??????

*hugs*
    Cailin

OMG on having the circumsicion or OMG on having Alex ?!

I put a short note in the birth notices on here. He's eight weeks old tomorrow. Believe it when people say second babies and boys are so much easier !!! at least at this age !!! Surely I can't have go that much better at it since Cait was born ??

Cheers,
    Barb.

My Dh isnt done as is our religion, I know my Dad is, but if we ever have a boy he definately wont be done, unless there was a medical reason.

I am like Hayseed, seen may varieties
    They dont fuss me either way, they are all just plain ugly! :shock:

Lindsay is not done. We just could not come up with a strong enough reason to do it. I think is it unnescessary, b/c if you were meant to have it done, you'd be born without it. As for hygiene, it still has to be washed properly regardless. Dh now has regrets and wishes we got him done (mainly b/c he has a friend who had his 2 boys done and is worried he'll be different when he goes to school)

jay+tyler Guest

jayden is done and tyler is booked in next week he would of been done a week out of hospital but we had to stay in the day he was booked but there dad is done so that is part of the reason and the hygine reason also we know a guy who had to be done at 13 because he had probs another one at 10 and another one at 5 all different people so i would rather get it done when they young and dont remeber or maybe have to get it done later how embarresing getting it done at 13 however in saying that your son may not have any probs and be fine the whole time
    so yes it is a personal choice but they were the reason's we had and are getting our children done
    good luck with it all

oh forgot i guy was 22 and had to get done and the receptionist doing all the details was a girl he went to school with HOW EMBARRESING LOL

Before my son was born I was slightly against it and DH was slightly for it (because he's done). After our son had arrived the whole idea went totally out of the window... we just couldn't think of him suffering through a proceedure just so he could look like dad. DH surprised me at how strongly he turned against the idea. Also when I worked at a creche for 5 years I'd say I only ever came across 2 or 3 out of over fifty little boys (over the 5 years) that were circumcised (saw at nappy change time). Maybe it was just the area we lived in but I feel confident that my uncircumsised son will be in the vast majority when he grows up and is playing the comparing game in the boys toilets at school!!! Still, each to their own and I also acknowledge people's religious reasons.

Dh has argued black and blue with me to have it done prior to having a son, but DS is nearly 8months old, and the subject has yet to be brought up, am a bit concerned as his testes are not always decended (they "float" ) so may need operating on, and I think DH will ask for it to be done if we look into it and that happens

I think I expressed my views just once to DH about this. He doesn't seem to mind either way but I am not in favour of it so it won't be getting done.

Mumofbundelz - I don't envy the position you are in. It must be difficult to have your partner on the completely opposite side on this issue.

It is hard, we started debating the topic 8 yrs ago when we fell pg with the first, and it has continued ever since !!!! He has been determined that his son would be clean and look like him. IMHO you dont take out a babys tonsils or appendix or any other part of the body, why steal your sons foreskin, its his!!!!! Anyway thats my opinion,.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

OM Gosh this is the first time I have thought about it since Monday when we found out :twinboy: -saw this post .

I am not getting them done unless medically indicated. I respect other peoples' decisions religious/personal /cosmetic .

You don't amputate a child's finger just because dad had his finger cut off - so they look the same - by the way who is looking :shock: to check these things. ( Dad was probably done - before he had a choice in the matter).

I worked in kids ward 11yrs and I saw all those poor little boys having circs at 12/12 -2 yrs or older - and the complications occasionally. Don't tell me they don't feel no pain.

Hardly saw any boys come in with infected foreskins either. DS not circumsised adopted at 13 months - he has no problems - when little sometimes got a bit of a red tip.

In Nursing I too have seen all varieties - yes - keep 'em hidden anyway don't they. I agree with Barley - yep ugly.

Saw this guy @21 come in once because his GF insisted purely for selfish reasons . Pethidine didn't touch him and he cried worst than a baby - :shock: and walked with 2 m wide gait out 2 days later.

I bet you don't see too many guys choosing to have it for cosmetic reasons - :-k what the stats are on it

I think I may habe mentioned this once before when discussing Circ...
    Triple J radio station were having a special day set aside for the 'mourning of Foreskins that have been stolen'
    Guys were calling in all day with comments etc on their missing, or intact, etc foreskins.
    I remember listening to a guy that rang & said at age 18 or 19(?) He got it caught in his zipper & it got infected, so after a few painful days of bathing it himself, too embarassed to go to Dr, he ended up having to go as it had swlled etc... Basically they had to remove his foreskin & he swears that he lost atleast 40-50% sensation!!!
    He said he had gone totally of sex as he remembers what it was like before to how it is now...

Now I have no idea how true the loss od sensation is or not as I have never had a foreskin to have it ripped away from me...

But just thought I'd share what this guys experience of sex with & without were!!!

I've read a book on the practise of female circumsion overseas, and thinking how barbaric it was, and we'd never do that, so why do our son??

That is so true isn't it Vanita? Some cultures argue that it is an important part of their culture, yet we abhore it, so why do we feel it is OK to do that to our sons? i have no problems with others doing for whatever reasons they have, I just don't think it is a necessary thing and wouldn't do it to my son. RE the zipper thing, imagine what it would be like if you were done and you got the actual head caught?

Tracey, i've heard too about the loss of sensation, but you would only know if you had a foreskin and then had it removed IYKWIM?

BTW Trish, that's lovely you are having two little boys.

if we have another boy, Lindsay has set the precedent, so there is no way I could have one done and one not done, despite what DH wants to do.

Debbie Lee Guest

Thankfully we didn't have to deal with this issue (having a girl and all, LOL) but Neil and I have discussed it and never really came to a conclusion.

While I lean more toward not getting any sons we have circumcised, I am still not 100%. I think I would leave it up to Neil.
    He was done when he was 1 (which I thought was rather late?? Perhaps because of an infection?? We'll never know because both his parents have passed away). Neil's younger brothers haven't been done so I know it wasn't for religious reasons?? We'll never know....

From what I understand, most boys in Australia these days don't get done... so the ones that are would be the minority which I guess is different from 20-30 years ago.

Still... I'd definitely leave the decision up to Neil. I have no idea what it is like to live with a penis (thank God!! LOL).

Fee Guest

Here is an interesting quote from my OB's booklet:

This is an operation with some risk to baby which was commonly performed on Australian babies from 1920 to about 1975. Less than one in fifteen boys are now circumcised in Brisbane. The operation has risks of causing bleeding or infection with scarring or even death.

There is little reason to have baby circumcised other than cosmetic (ie how the parents think a penis should look). The argument that circumcision reduces the risk of cancer of the penis is not as important as practising good hygeine with or without a foreskin. A reported reduction in sexually transmitted diseases seems related to the presence of untreated tropical ulcers which is not a problem in Australia. The only valid argument for circumcision is that the child will later be ostracised in his community such as if he is Jewish.

Consent for an operation on a minor can, in Australia, only be given by a parent for a therapeutic reason, ie to fix a problem which is then present. This is only rarely the reason for circumcision. In other cases, legal opinion now suggests that parents cannot give permission for routine circumcision which should instead require permission from the Federal Family Court. Without this permission, especially if a complication occurs as they do in between 2 and 10% of cases, the doctor may be charged by the child, over the next 21 years, with criminal assault.

When the risks and benefits of circumcision are considered, there is good evidence to suggest that your baby will be safer if not circumcised.

The Australian Society of Paediatricians has stated in 1997 that no baby should be circumcised under the age of six months unless there is a serious medical problem requiring it. Paediatricians and many obstetricians refuse to circumcise any baby.

Deb - I left it all up to Mark as well, I had no idea what was the right or wrong way to go as I said months ago in this post Mark says if it`s there, it`s there for a reason.

We`re expecting another little boy and he also will not be done unless a medical reason pops up sometime in his future.

My partner said that is we had a boy there is no way he is being circumcised. And I feel exactly the same.... If he wants it removed... he can get it done when he is older. If it is for future preventitive measures, why not get their appendix out while you're at it... sorry 8-[

Tanya

merrie Guest

While I would never attack someone who decided to have that done to their child, I am also not of the opinion that it is the personal choice of the parent.

Unless it is medically necessary circumcision is wrong. It is immoral to mutilate a perfectly normal child for personal or religious reasons in my opinion.

As I said I am not the type of person to attack people, and there are parents out there who do a lot worse things to their children but in my opinion cut off bits of babies for no medical reason should be made illegal.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast