Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: to circumsize or not to circumsize?

Kellxx - sorry to butt in but I have to tell you that the reason first hand experience is not as good an indication as a scientific study is that the former is what is known as anecdotal evidence. Just because one person had a good experience or a bad one doesn't mean that another person will have the same.

Reputable scientific studies are far more reliable. Of course that doesn't stop someone else distorting the findings to suit themselves but that is beside the point.

Jillian.............. Yes thats right. When my son was done he had a local and didnt cry or anything. Slept straight through it. So I believe that as I said before, If you find a good doc/ob and has done lots then your baby is in good hands. Evern after we got home from the hospital, (Callum was 2 days old when he was done) he was fine. We just had to put lots of vaso on it to keep it from sticking to the nappy. We had no problems at all.

But on the other hand, I can understand how some mothers feel. Im sure there are doc out there that dont use anything and the babies would have to feel that. Im just glad I found a great ob. He was so good during my pg and birth and the good thing is he also does cirsn. I was lucky. 3 of my girlfriends have been to him to get their sons done as well. There are not alot of doc that do it.

Anyway, I think its ok to cirsm or not. I just thought it was easier.

Neverplan- I agree with you. About ppl getting angry with other ppls decisions. Its no one elses business.

Oh well its abit like religon and pol, you dont talk about it. I think you can add cirsm to that now as to many ppl argue about it!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbo View Post
    Kellxx - sorry to butt in but I have to tell you that the reason first hand experience is not as good an indication as a scientific study is that the former is what is known as anecdotal evidence. Just because one person had a good experience or a bad one doesn't mean that another person will have the same.
    Maybe not, but when everyone here who has had their son done, which is a larger amount than i would have thought, has said they were perfectly fine during and after the procedure and never showed any agitation, you would still take note wouldnt you? I have not read on here that one person who had their son done was regretful as they were in agony or suffered from the experience.

I think it just goes that whatever one believes is right, one will stand by no matter what anyone says, and that is fair enough, thats the human right and is their discretion. But for instance, if you cut your finger and someone suggests to put a band aid on it, where studies show that fresh air is better than a dark, moist atmosphere, you still may contemplate using a band aid. It may not mean that either method is correct, its just 2 different views on what is best for the situation. That is all i was trying to put across to Caro. It doesnt mean that her links and and quotes are wrong (as she seemed to feel everyone was saying), its just that people have personally experienced it differently and never saw any distress as the studies are showing. And in my opinion, a first hand experience is just as good. No one has to agree with me, thats the whole point to my post.. its a personal desision.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; January 10th, 2007 at 08:35 AM.

we had this same question when i was preggo with first son. We decided both our sons dont need to be like DH and didnt have them done. our hospital said they dont do them unless special request as they believe more problems from circ than no circ. Im also a softie and didnt want to inflict anymore trauma on my fresh babies. they had to take my boys away for bloodwork in feet coz i didnt want to hear them cries their little eyes out(yes, my DH says im a sook too!)
    --------------------------
    Floyd 11 Jan 2001
    :biggrin: Thomas 22 Oct 2002
    :biggrin: Cody 8 Dec 2003

when everyone here who has had their son done, which is a larger amount than i would have thought, has said they were perfectly fine during and after the procedure and never showed any agitation
    I agree Kell, being a gentle parenting forum I would have thought that rate of circumcision here would be less than in overall society and it probably is.
    I don't agree with the POV that I have heard raised elsewhere that circumcision isn't or can't be a part of gentle parenting.

Sonia, nobody likes to inflict trauma on babies.

Cai
    Last edited by hannanat; January 10th, 2007 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caro View Post

Not really , well it may have been a larger amount than you actually thought but in the grand sheme it isnt - Reason ? because this is a pregnancy / mother board where a core group is concentrated so it looks higher but if you were to go into each of these peoples home states you would find it is a minsicule amount compare to who hasnot had their child done
    Ok Im just going to bite my tongue on this one and walk away..

Nat? LOL! What did I do :P or were you saying "K" as in OK?

I agree... I know that Circ isn't technically gentle parenting... but we did it with the most gentlist techniques in mind. But at the end of the day for me my gentle parenting techniques are more towards how I parent as in techniques and discipline and how I settle my children for sleep than circing vs. immunisation (BUT thats just me) it is a very broad definition and no two people will *ever* agree on everything LOL! So I guess I agree with both of you... I don't think Circ has to be "ungentle" although many people see the practice (no matter how its done) as ungentle. BUT this is just my opinion and you're welcome to disagree with it but its not going to change it (tongue in cheek)...

*mwa*
    Cailin

No the smiley was for you, lol. You said we should have smilies, LMAO!

I probably worded that wrong - I meant that you can be a gentle parent and circumcise.
    Last edited by hannanat; January 10th, 2007 at 10:11 AM.

This board has just over 5000 members and from what I have read on this post it would be about 10 - 20 people who have had their child circ'd even if you tok into account all the people who havent said they have had it done it would maybe be 100 - even if it was 500 its still tiny.
    Caro, with that statistic, you are assuming that the 5000 members have sons or even children.

OI! I said no POLL!

The admin doesn't want this to become an us & them... which it already is...

Seriously I do NOT want to be forced to close this thread... but if we can't calm down and agree to disagree I WILL close it!

We are trying to give the benefit of the doubt that this will calm down and people will move on... but if we can't then maybe it will have to be closed.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Why ? say what you want - making a comment like that isnt productive but just seems to be stirring.
    Because i cant say anything without you jumping on my back about it because i chose to circumcise my child and you wouldnt.
    Walking away is just me agreeing to disagree.. i dont understand why you cant.

Ok good :P I thought you were being cheeky.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cai, I posted then deleted because i hadn't read your post. I can understand you thinking about closing this thread because it's becoming more of a fight than an informed debate.

If it has gotten out of hand it really is because pro circers are constantly having to defend their position. If it's not said openly, it's inferred that we as parents have no objection to inflicting pain on our babies and I find that to be highly insulting.

Caro, If I meant you, I would have said you. You have again taken offence where none was meant.

I am out of this thread un less someone pulls me back into it by replying to me personally.

Oh FGS it works both ways everything i say you disagree with. then tell me not to take it personally !!!
    The only thing i have disagreed with is that babies are put through so much pain while being circumcised as i know Jesse was not in any pain. I know that because i was there.
    I have in every one of my posts maintained that it is personal decision and that no one is wrong with what they choose to do, yet you even found a way to corrected me when i said there was more people than i (personally) thought there would be, responding saying their sons were done?

I dunno.. ive said my peace and ive had enough of the bickering.. theres more important things in life.. ooow like 7th Heaven.. gotta go!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Natalie~ View Post
    If it has gotten out of hand it really is because pro circers are constantly having to defend their position. If it's not said openly, it's inferred that we as parents have no objection to inflicting pain on our babies and I find that to be highly insulting.
    Natalie, exactly right..

Natalie (((((pulling you back in)))))

LOL I had to do that...soz...heheh

Where did my post go...hmmmm. was it bad...I didnt mean for it to be I was just having a say....soz

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast