Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

Have alook onthe Nurture Nappies website they have thirsties brand on sale & they have some great looking PUL covers with leg gussets for $14 each.

mummycate Guest

Oh nice! I have tots bots fleece covers, which will last till 16kg. And I have 9, so I may not get any. But how long is this sale on for?

Found this thread!

Janie I use the kite fold for Flynn and the triange with the padded bit in the middle for Ollie.

Ollimoo I am like you - I only know two folds

when I do the kite fold for Flynn I put a microfibre or bamboo booster in the middle too.

I love the cloth butt too - it is the only thing that holds Flynn's jeans up LOL!!

Thanks Rory, I hadn't thought of boosting a flat, great idea!

Yeah I agree, great idea putting a booster in.

Does anyone know of any actual stores where I can buy covers? I don't really shop online.

mummycate Guest

darlings down under

fantastic site, and you can pay with bank deposit, credit card and money order. they have HEAPS of selections.

and for nappy bosster fabrics etc, google for nappy works

Sorry, had to edit out the links, as per rules, thanks FJ for reminding me!
    Last edited by mummycate; January 9th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks mummycate, I will check it out.

Hi girls
    I wanna use flats - though i have no idea how to fold one. Guess we'll figure that out
    anyhoo, just looking for some advice
    Flats are ok for newborns, right? Any advice you can offer me on folds, covers, liners, etc?
    What's the easiest way to buy flats? I'd really like to get organic ones if possible.
    Thanks in advance,

I used flanny flats with BBH covers until Caty was about 6 months old (with a combination of MCN). I used the bat/butterfly/chinese fold from the Nappy Lady's site. We stopped using them after 6 months as they aren't very absorbant compared to the MCN I have. We'll be using them again on the next bub though.

Thanks for that. I thought flats were supposed to be more absorbent...?

It would depend on the material the MCN are made from. If the MCN is something like Bamboo or Hemp, they are much more absorbent materials then the cotton terry flats. You can however get bamboo flats.

Yep. My flanny flats were just cotton. Bamboo & hemp kick cottons butt (in a nice, friendly way!).

Girls, sorry for the intrusion, but I would like to start my cloth nappy use with some flats and covers... I was wondering if any of you could offer suggestions for the actual nappy brands and where to get them... I am expecting a boy, so if there are any special suggestions you could make for that too..... Your cover ideas have been most helpful!!

Ruf, I can't remember what brand of flats I used......but I used flanellette to start with as it's less bulky on a newborn. I changed to terry towelling at about 4 months. If you buy both you can used the terry as spew cloths etc (you'll need heaps!) while you use the flanny flats as nappies, and then swap it around when you need to. So you're not really doubling up

I used the same fold as Cat, the bat/butterfly/chinese fold, it's pretty common, and what they'll teach you in your classes etc. I have a boy and it works just fine on him. Contains nb poo well

I loved using eenees snibs when DS was tiny, they are fantastic! As well as Motherease Rikki covers, I still use them now, they rock!

Thanks Janie! It seems so confusing staring out. But I am sure I will get the hang of it!
    The eenee snibs look great for a starter... Might be good till he gets a bit bigger and I can get some good covers in a bigger size. Would you use the eenees at night too?

I use flannelette flats on my newborn (well, 2 month old now!) and 20 month old. Spotlight sells it for $2.50 a metre so I just got the MIL and my mum to hem up some squares for me....

Roryrory -

Thanks for the idea to buy flannelette at SL and sew my own squares! I hadn't thought of that option. I used terry flats with DS as a newborn and found them very bulky so am thinking of flanny flats for bubba #2 (we will be TTC soon) but was shocked at how much more expensive they are!

Do you buy white flannelette or patterns for your flanny flats? I reckon I could manage to hem them myself as I took a basic sewing class in high school and got quite good at making clothes for my cabbage patch doll!

Ruf, I hate to break it to you, but in the early days (when you would be using snibs) you're changing bubs as often at night as during the day! So yes, I would use the snibs at night. Sometimes an aplix cover is easier though, when you're dea on your feet at 3am I used the x-small Rikki (I had 2) in conjunction with the snibs.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast