I meant 20...

ROFL

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    HAHA.. typo...

I meant 20...

ROFL
    I didn't think 10 sounded right

DH told me to start with enough for 1 day and see how I go after one day of using them before committing to using them full time. But he said that he's not changing cloth nappies (not that he does much anyway, he only changes nappies if I'm not home so I'll get sposies for JIC)

I don't know if changing a cloth nappy is any different than changing a sposie - men and their funny ideas huh!!!!

DH is really good here, he squirts poop off the nappies, even chucks them in the washing machine for me if I'm busy (although he has been adding too much washing liquid to them, didn't realise it until he came out last night and asked why there seemed to be a lot of white bubbles coming out of the nappies when he squirted them... bwahahaha)

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

LOL.

I think my DH's reason for not wanting to change them is he likes the idea that with a sposie you can just wrap it up and put it in a bag and into the bin. I told him about flushing a liner down the toilet but he would rather not have to handle a nappy more than he has to.
    I have a couple of cloth pocket nappies around somewhere that I bought when DD was newborn but we didn't have the money to be buying them and sposies until I had enough cloth, now we have 2 incomes so we can gradually build them up. I'll have to get them out and start washing the boosters to build up their absorbancie and will get a few more when the Krudd bonus comes through.

Meh.. you tell him that cloth is just as easy. Tell him to whip a poopy one off and leave for you if its that much of a problem (I sometimes get DH to do this, cos he drives me mental sometimes with his swearing from the toilet!!) and he just has to dump the wet ones in a bucket - see - doesn't even have to wrap it up and bag it - that saves him time.. ROFL

Danni - Tell him that my DH finds them easier than sposies. And he is doing all the work (except putting them back together) atm. Snaps tend to stay done up better than sposies and considering Jazz's age it will take her longer to figure out how to remove the nappy

I started with pockets. Then I went to all in 2s, which we use most of the time, cos doing up a couple of snaps can be easier than stuffing a pocket. Aren't you glad I never got around to buying the ones you bought originally off you?

Hi ladies,

I have been reading this thread for a while and have gotten a lot of advice from it - Thanks!!

I have decided to go with flats and covers. So far I have the following;

12 terry flats
    6 flanelette flats
    6 pre-folds
    two mother-ease covers
    disposable liners (but might go over to washable ones - DH a bit freaked out by the thought! )

My qu is how many covers will I need? I think I will get another 6 flanellette or should I get more pre-folds (or both!!).

Do I need snappy nappy thingos for the flanelette or just the terry or should covers (velcro style) be enough to hold it all together.

Thanks so much for any advice from those that have been there before!

Snappis don't always work with flannelette, there's not much to grab onto. I had pins, but often didn't need them, newies aren't that wriggly and you can just tuck the ends and put a cover over. Definitely get more flanelette flats because they're trimmer than terry for a newborn.

In my opinion you can't have too many flats or prefolds (well maybe you can, but it'd have to be heaps) - I use mine all the time for pee on the carpet, spilled drinks, dribble, spew, and all the other child related mess.

As for covers...you can rotate 2 a day, so 4, but you might want an extra or two if bub has a blowout. I think I start out with 2 eenees snibs, 2 Bummis original covers (not sure if they make these anymore)...and something else...can't remember. I had Motherease Rikkis but I'm not sure if they fit straight away. Maybe a Bummis in a different style. I had 5 or 6 anyway.
    In a pinch, you can just rinse a cover and hang it to dry if you need it soon.

For covers, have a look at the weight ranges. They can vary from brand to brand, and even then it can vary, for example when I was buying for my first, the Bummis Original size S was smaller than a different Bummis size S.

Oh, and in terms of disposable liners, many people don't bother and just throw it all in the machine. It's not until the poop become a bit more solid that any liner will be effective.

Thanks so much Nelle, kitting out with flats isnt actually that expensive is it? I am happy to hear that a few more covers and flanelettes will be about right. Great.

One more thing (until I think of the next thing anyway) do you use pre-folds just straight into the covers? And do you fold them along the seam or across the seam into the size you need?

Rachel

You can fold them however works for you, they tend to be folded across the seam because the middle panel has more layers. I think if you click on my name and my 'homepage' option it should take you to some Nappy photos which have a bit of a prefolds 101 drawing. If you google prefold folds you should come up with something too.

And yep, snappied prefolds with a cover overtop. As bub got older and took longer between wee's, I'd boost the prefold with a bamboo or hemp booster, to prolong the life of the prefold.

Hi all,
    I'm actually a motherinlaw who has been busy researching cloth nappies for my first grandchild(girl) due in late Sep. I have read this whole thread and have found it fantastic, most especially all your advice Nelle. I'm planning to buy the nappies for my daughterinlaw (she's happy to use cloth but is only thinking about using flats after using sposies for the first few days).
    I am thinking of getting prefolds (size?) (and snappis) and some Big Softies (flannelette) to start with. I was also going to get some eenee snibs (size?) and Bummis original (size?) covers for the first few weeks. Also some other covers for after that like Tots Bots, Motherease Rikkis, Mazalicious (sizes?). Also I would get some bamboo and/or hemp boosters for a bit later for boosting the flats or prefolds. Also some BBH fitted (size?), Bumg (pockets or fitted? size?),Tots Bots (pockets or fitted?size?), Bambineo Mios (pockets or fitted?size?).
    Depending on how it all goes, I (and daughterin law) can look at the next phase of options such as when baby is moving around more (fleece covers-brand?) and when she starts solids (microfleece liners). Purchase of AIOs, pockets, fitteds will depend on budget and DILs desire. She may want to stay mainly with flats/prefolds and covers.
    I guess some flushable liners could be handy to have for some stages (tacky poops) and the microfleece liners for when on solids.
    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

hi everyone,

ok so i have read thru this whole thread and im still confused!!! i have been doing y reserch on cloth nappies and i just brought two itii bitti AIO.

now after reading thru this thread people are saying that prefolds are good for newborns? and much cheaper than AIO etc which they are.

so i went looking at prefolds, im a bit confused as to how to use them!! do you need a cover for them? if so which ones are good? and do you need inserts for them? and how do you used inserts lol i feel like an idiot asking this.

How do you fold the nappies i have no clue!!!

please help if you can

Me again what do you use the bucket for? do you put them in the bucket with water until your ready to wash them in the wasing machine?

and what is pail drying haahahhaah im such a newbie!!

thankyou for listening!!

Hi GQ

Prefolds are awesome for newborns, I think I had about 6 when Miss M was a newby and I have about 18 now in prep for the next one. Yes you need a cover for them, I prefer my Mother-ease Rikki covers as they have leg gussets and seem to fit my chicken legged kids the best, plus they are awesome at keeping poops and leaks in. I never put an insert in my prefold, just folded, put it on, cover on - and away we go!

There are several ways you can fold it, you can twist it in the middle, and then put it under bubs, wrap the wings around and snappy. Or, you can fold it in three, and tuck the ends of the prefold under the flappy part on the inside of the cover (like mother-ease have flaps specifically for this reason). Or, I folded it in three, then flipped out the back to create wings, lay bub on it, fold up the part of the prefold between their legs so it doesn't go all the way to their chest (hehe), and then I wrap the wings around their belly so it touches the other part between their legs, and fasten with a snappi. Then put cover on. Easy peasy.

HTH!!

ETA - dry pailing is where you throw the soiled nappy into a nappy bucket with no water. They don't need water to soak in, just throw them in the washing machine and then hang out in the sun to help remove any stains and look all lovely again

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    Hi GQ

Prefolds are awesome for newborns, I think I had about 6 when Miss M was a newby and I have about 18 now in prep for the next one. Yes you need a cover for them, I prefer my Mother-ease Rikki covers as they have leg gussets and seem to fit my chicken legged kids the best, plus they are awesome at keeping poops and leaks in. I never put an insert in my prefold, just folded, put it on, cover on - and away we go!

There are several ways you can fold it, you can twist it in the middle, and then put it under bubs, wrap the wings around and snappy. Or, you can fold it in three, and tuck the ends of the prefold under the flappy part on the inside of the cover (like mother-ease have flaps specifically for this reason). Or, I folded it in three, then flipped out the back to create wings, lay bub on it, fold up the part of the prefold between their legs so it doesn't go all the way to their chest (hehe), and then I wrap the wings around their belly so it touches the other part between their legs, and fasten with a snappi. Then put cover on. Easy peasy.

HTH!!

ETA - dry pailing is where you throw the soiled nappy into a nappy bucket with no water. They don't need water to soak in, just throw them in the washing machine and then hang out in the sun to help remove any stains and look all lovely again
    thankyou so much for explaining it to me i have never even even put a nappy on a baby before so it's all a bit scary for me LOL

Just don't put it on backwards or upside down and you'll be alright

where do you buy those snappi things??

I got mine from Big W near the nappy buckets, flat nappies etc. They were pretty cheap, I just got the happy baby brand.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast