Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Help for New Users!

okay, I have read the whooooolllllle thread

Pie is 17 months, weighs between 10.5 - 11kg, fairly slim build... a bit of a pot belly

I was thinking about trying a few AIO's, AI2s or maybe pockets...umm, that's as far as I got really, my head is spinning a bit.

For those of you who didn't know where to start originally...where did you start? (especially those with toddlers in cloth)

TIA

we don't own ANY AIO's - i thought about the drying time, the fact we live in an area prone to crummy weather, and figured i'd need toooooo many of them to be able to use them full time and have a couple of days each to dry them. we have mostly AI2's and pockets
    sounds like Pie is similar build to E, just a kilo or so lighter!
    as i mentioned in your other thread, our preferences are Widdlewuns (side snappers, can be hard to get) CGR (front snap, can also be hard to get), bonnibuns (front snap pocket), trissy tots (front snap AI2), bcheeks (front snap pocket). have a few auriels and love them, but they are also very hard to get lol

do you know anyone nearby that uses cloth so you could test fit with your kidlet?

i have a strong preference for snaps over velcro closure - E undoes the velcro all the time.

I can't remember what I first started DS on - I snapped up a whole lot, I do know one of them would have been Green Kids pockets, that was my first fluffy mail, shortly followed by cushie tushies and some motherease fitteds. So I had some pockets, AI2's and fitteds. The fitteds weren't absorbent enough for him, the cushie tushies were absolute crap (but I did buy them off ebay) and my Green Kids I loved, but he developed a reaction to suedecloth after a year of using them, so now I avoid anything with suedecloth as the inner material. I only buy it if its microfleece now.

Yep, they do sound similar BG... that's a good point about the AIO & drying time. Part of the reason I have taken so long to get to it is I don't keep on top of washing very well... so maybe something that is a bit quicker drying would be better.

So how do the AI2's work? If I have it right they have a bit that snaps on top? or inside? How are they different to pockets?

with a pocket nappy, you have the shell, and the material that is against bubs skin, and then you stuff the absorbant materials in between these two layers. the outers dry relatively quickly, and you can have extra boosting so you can use the shell wash it, let it dry (some of mine dry within hours in the right conditions, and even if that boosting isn't dry, you can use another set. you can essentially use anything to boost, provided it fits in the pocket

with an AI2, the inners are generally tailored for the nappy, and like you mentioned, they snap in. we have added boosting to some of our nappies as DD has times that she is peeing like nothing else, but when you put the nappy on them, you have to make sure it's all laid in properly. much more painful to do. thankfully it's only been the Ittis we've had to boost more, everything else seems to have enough - so we just keep the Ittis to use at home.

with either system though, you have to make sure, if you've boosted extra, that you still get a good fit around the legs - if you don't ahve a good fit, you will end up with leakages no matter how much you've stuffed them with boosting

Ittis aren't that great for heavy wetters, DS got to the stage where he could blow it out with one wee.. LOL

i agree mel - they look like they have ample boosing, but not really enough IMO. we add a second trifold (got extra when we bought them) and they seem to be still comfy for her (she doesn't whinge) and keep her dry. we only use them at home though as a spare nappy. i don't send them when she goes to mum's or anything. we have three larges so i figure we may as well use them

I'm looking at second hand BBH OSFM... can I PM you ladies the link?

I don't want to be a pest

DH is getting a bit cranky at the idea of spending any money but these are v cheap...

You can PM me the link through fb chat if you want lovely

I am thinking of getting a few mcn but want some value for money as i dont have much extra cash these days... anywho I have looked at the itti site and have seen they have 6 nappies for $165 SIO PK is a weed so think he will last in midium until TT ( 5.6 kgs at 14 weeks ) so he wont quite fit into them just yet but he will grow into them soon, but dont know if this is a good deal or not, is there any other brand I should look at, Its all very confusing lol...

If i buy SIO will i need extra bosters or do they come with all they need ? or would I be better of with AIO washing I have to do every day any way so thats not a issue but this crappy melbourne weather might be... I have a dyer can I dry them it that...

I don't need any extra boosters with my itti's. I like the SIO's better than the AIO's but everyone is different. I find them more absorbent and easier to dry. If you need to you can just check the inserts in the dryer with the snap in ones.
    I haven't bought nappies in a couple of years, but last time i bought itti's the bulk packs were a bit cheaper than that and the best deal around. I guess prices have gone up?!

The mediums lasted my first DD until TT, but DD2 was a bit bigger and needed a few L's, but the M are definitely a value buy for the size.

If i had $165 to spend and i had no nappies, i'd get SIO ittis.

Quote Originally Posted by Junglemum View Post

If i had $165 to spend and i had no nappies, i'd get SIO ittis.
    yeah for value for money that would probably be my buy too

we only have three large for E now, and a lot of other nappies that take priority as faves, but they are a great work horse nappy

ok i think im going to take the plunge and go cloth! im not 100% sure yet. im so confused.

so iv tried to do research but am going round in cirles lol.
    need some advice on the different types.
    so..out of AIOs, AI2s or pockets, which have you all found the easiest. obviously all in one sounds great,but is it more practical to have an AI2 with a clip in liner thingy that you just replace. rather than washing the whole nappy. is that how it even works lol.
    what would you all recommend. my bub is 3 months old. if i were to buy a stash now,would they last a long time?
    sooo many questions. sorry.
    please help.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by mummajj View Post
    so..out of AIOs, AI2s or pockets, which have you all found the easiest. obviously all in one sounds great,but is it more practical to have an AI2 with a clip in liner thingy that you just replace. rather than washing the whole nappy. is that how it even works lol.
    what would you all recommend. my bub is 3 months old. if i were to buy a stash now,would they last a long time?
    please help.
    I've used pockets and AI2s and I bought extra boosters for both. Early on I preferred pockets - greenkids as my preferred brand - one size fits most too. But they were velcro closing so not so good after awhile - DS can undo it now. Still have these as back up nappies. Some of the pockets can be a bit snug to try and get your hand in to stuff too so that is something to be aware of.

I went over to AI2s (or snap-ins) with Itti bittis and their sized nappies and preferred these. I can re-use the outers in these if it's just wet but usually I don't bother. Can't re-use the outers if they're pooped on. But with the extra boosters I find that when I wash I just put a dry booster set in when the outer is dry and let the wet boosters dry for a bit longer (I have about 10 extra booster sets to nappies with the ittis)

IF I was going to start clothing it again from scratch, I would probably do something similar or try the itti bitti tuttos. I've just bought a couple of these with a couple of extra boosters to see how they go - so far going well. They're also a one size fits most. They're snap ins still too. So these would probably last without you "having" to buy more. (Be WARNED - MCNs are very addictive!!!)

I would try and see if there's someone near you who can let you try a couple of different brands to check fit around legs and tummy - these are important. If that's not possible I'd probably only by one or two of a brand in a AI2 type nappy and check the fit around the legs particularly.

If you don't want to buy nappies too often for sizing I'd go with a OSFM (like the tuttos or greenkids). However, a lot of people prefer the sized nappies - problem here is not everyone uses the same sizing - check out rise and weight for these. (rise is measured from back of plumbers crack to bellybutton - I think - somewhere in the nappy section there's info on this)

hope this helps
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mummajj View Post
    ok i think im going to take the plunge and go cloth! im not 100% sure yet. im so confused.

so iv tried to do research but am going round in cirles lol.
    need some advice on the different types.
    please help.
    i like snap ins because they dry quicker than an all-in-one due to coming apart (so not as many layers to dry). I always wash the whole nappy each time, cover + booster inners.

I think my bub was starting to fit into medium nappies around 3-4 months. I prefer sized nappies because i reckon the OSFM never really fit little bubs.

I am happy to get second hand nappies so save money this way. It's also a good way to try a few different types, and now i know what i like i have bought some new ones during the sales.

I like itti bitti snap ins, and also BBH pockets. The 2 companies size differently with BBH being a larger fit.- So my bub can now wear medium or large ittis but can only wear medium BBHs.

Hi guys, not sure If someone has asked this before as I don't have quite enough time to search through 12 pages

I'm looking at getting some itti bitti d'lish SIO's for my DD who is nearly 10 weeks...

Have you guys found this style good for small bubs? Or are fitteds better for this age? At what age do bubs usually start to suit SIO's?

Hey hope. W has one d'lish... He is tall and skinny, 4 weeks old and is on the 2nd snaps (so not the smallest setting) I love it but not sure it will fit for long. It's very gorgeous tho!

Hi hope about 2 years ago, ittis formed the bulk of my stash. They are good until bubs becomes a heavy wetter, usually as they get older. When DS was about 2, he could blow it out with one wee. We also got horrid wing droop so switched to side snapping nappies (which is my stash now for my 2 older girls)

I have a small itti here and my youngest is nearly 3 weeks old and it's still too big for her around her legs. Waist wise and rise wise it fits fine, just not her legs.

I use a mixture of ai2's and flats for the older 2 girls, and a mixture of fitteds and ai2's for the baby. I think it's personal preference which is better, I'm not a fan of pockets as most these days are lined with suedecloth (which gives us nappy rash) plus I got sick of stuffing them. It's easier to snap an insert into a shell than to stuff a pocket - and these days - I'll take the easy way out lol

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast