Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for New Users!

I know you have to wash the MCN's to be more absorbent, but do they have to dry before you can wash them again or can you just spin dry them & wash them again?

LOL Nelle.

Mo, you can just wash them a few times without drying in between.
    Lu is about same size as maddi and in a small BP.

Thanks Ange, Nelle & Sammi.
    You have all been very helpful & i've brought some MCN's just got to wait for them to arrive

How exciting Mo, fluffy mail is the best!

Default First time Mum - thinking about all in one's?

hi all, an interesting read here about everyones different experiences and opinions regarding cloth nappies. At first the thought of using the 'old fashioned' nappies never entered my mind, until i did some research. All in one nappies have impressed me the most! and they look absolutely gorgeous, and not to mention the beautiful covers out there!

I'm after some all in one brands that anyone has used, and can recommend?? Are all in one's suitable for newborns or should i be looking at other types?

have you purchased them from the net or elsewhere?

Do all in one's come with snap fasteners so i can use them as little one grows?? Or do they only come in small, med, large etc......just wondering about the cost as they grow so fast.

Any reccomendations regarding any AIO or any other cloth nappy would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!

Bugalug, I can't speak from experience with regard to using MCN on newborns as we used flats (old fashioned nappies) for the first 8 months.

I think alot of people find flat nappies, or prefolds (which are kind of like a flat nappies, but they are thicker in the middle, and you don't have to fold them), easiest to use on a newborn. With either of these you need a cover.

That's not say though that you can't use some pockets, or AIOs (all in one)! I think most AIO come sized, so you would need to buy more as bub grows. However, there are alot of pockets that are OSFA (one size fits all), and they are very easy to use, and dry alot faster than AIOs. I mostly save our AIOs for when we are going out now, although I do use pockets when out as well. And I still use alot of flat nappies, just until I've got the $$$ to build up my stash of MCN. Pockets and AIOs don't need a cover.

Then there are fitted nappies, which come in a range of materials (hemp, bamboo, cotton etc). Fitted nappies probably work well for newborns, because they need a cover, so you have that 'second line of defense' against that runny newborn poo! I love using fitteds, and can't wait to get some more.

Some handy things to know before you buy are - bamboo is super thirsty, which is fabulous, but it takes the longest to dry. Hemp is also a good soaker, but dries alot faster than bamboo. Both of these are really good against a baby's bum. Microfibre soaks the wee up really quickly, but doesn't hold as much as the others.

The good thing about pocket nappies is that you can customise what you stuff it with according to your baby. If the nappy will be on for a while (bub is down for a nap) you can use bamboo, or if you're changing more frequently hemp is good. You can also use prefolds, or flat nappies to stuff your pockets.

Newborns need to be changed pretty often, so you don't really need any of the super-thirsty nappies like bamboo ones until bub is older.

If you google the wee wuns, darlings downunder, nuture nappies, itti bitti, that will get you started on looking at what's available. Just browse the websites, and stick your head in here (there are plenty of great threads to read about cloth nappies), and you will get the hang of it all And google nappycino, it's a great forum for cloth nappy users.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Nelle, I've only just found this hun! Well done

Oh Sez, look at you, answering questions like a pro! Brings a tear to my eye it does.

Thanks Janie - that helps a lot, and getting tips from someone that has gone through the trial and error! I'n the first in my fam to have a baby, and my friends or the very few that have little ones use disposables so finding it hard and very confusing!!

Thanks again, i appreciate ur advice.

im so excited i won the auction on ebay and cant wait to use them!!! YAY!!

i got them for a bargin!!!

Default Still doing my head in!!

I hadn't even thought about using cloth until I stuck my head in here on a whim, and am seriously considering my options. My mother naturally just thought I would use cloth because she did, but I figured technology has moved along and so should I, so it was always going to be sposies for me. I'm about to have my first, and none of my friends that have babies use cloth or MCNs and so it is a little daunting on knowing where to start. I have written down all the sites that you have suggested to visit which I will do, but I think the most confusing thing is that I haven't seen it in practice. Anyone using MCNs/cloth in Melbourne want to give me a "private lesson"??? Or group lesson if there are others out there too.

I guess my main concerns are this for now - where do I start for newborns? And how soon do they move up to the next level? What do you do when you go out and about or away for a weekend - don't they get a bit on the whiffy side?

My DH doesn't like the idea because a (male) friend hated it when his DP put their kids in cloth (flat terry toweling) every now and then. So he figures it is all going to be too hard and smelly. I am trying to convince him otherwise, but the problem is I don't have all the answers which makes it extra hard. I think I need remedial classes!!!

The other thing is that I can sew, and so can my Mum and so making my own is an option, but I am not sure about getting all the materials and are they as good as store-bought ones?

Ooh ahh Mummy Tummy, modern cloth is easy as! Whereabouts in Melb are you, a demo sounds fun!

oooooo....maybe a group demo????

I'm in the NE suburbs, but willing to make a day of it. It sounds like there could be a demand for it... maybe we should organise one so that all the newbies or the people considering it can see how it all works first hand. Anyone else up for it? Should we discuss this in the general chatter thread?

I'm cool with that, if you're interested in learning how to use prefolds I can show you that. I can either show the newbies sometime, or you can come along to a meetup - either one won't be straight away, since Jols is away and I'm sick.

Another thought is, if you check out the Darlings Downunder website, they're having an open day soon, and that would be another place you could get along to, and see what all the different types of nappies look like in real life - and then if you liked the look of anything, you could buy it!

Thanks Nelle, that sounds great. It doesn't have to be straight away - I'm only 14 weeks so a long way to go yet. Thanks for the info about Darlings Downunder, I'm on my way to check out their site now!

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Default More newbie questions

Ok, so after Nelle's advice in another thread, have received the first of my trial packs, BBHs and love them so far even though they are pretty chunky around his legs. They came with some cloth wipes and here's the stupid question from someone who's only ever used tissues or disposable wipes... What do you use with the cloth wipes? Anything? Just J & J lotion like I've used with tissues? Or do you have other recommendations? Also, DS still does really runny poos - should I bother with liners or is there not much point until he's on solids? Can't wait to get my Zappy Nappy and Bambino Mio packs in the mail!

Hey LM! What to use with your wipes? Water should do the job just fine! Anything else you add, mostly is just psychological, or because it takes your fancy - which you're totally entitled to!
    I use a spray bottle with water and a bit of water soluble eucalyptus oil - just because I love the smell! Smells nice and fresh.
    Some people use weak chamomile tea (chamomile's meant to have soothing properties).
    Some people use wipes cubes that dissolve in the water(I think I've seen them at Darlings Downunder), which add a mild soapy stuff and a smell.

Really, all you need (just like in baths for young kids) is water though. Add to that what you will, but I'd keep it gentle, if you keep the solution simple, then if bub gets a rash you're not thinking 'I wonder if it's the wipes solution'?

As for whether to bother with liners - personal preference. With purely breastfed poo, we didn't bother. But some people do. Perhaps try using liners for a day if you like, and see if it makes it any easier for you?
    I've found that with that b/f runny poo, I didn't use liners, and with nuggety solid poo, I didn't need liners (just rolls off the nappy). It's been the teething poo (similar to the poo we got when Riv was transitioning to solids) - sticky and semi solid, but won't roll off the nappy - that liners have been amazing for!!

So yeah. Some people can live without them, others can't. If the poos are even a bit solid, but still messy, perhaps flushable liners might be worth a shot? You can just hold the nappy over the loo, let the liner (and whatever it takes with it) drop off, and then at least there's less mess left on the nappy?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast