Thread: help my almost 3mth old is getting a tooth!

Red face help my almost 3mth old is getting a tooth!

ok i didn't even know they could get teeth this early and kinda brushed it off when she started to dribble, chew her hands, get nappy rash and became unsettled... this morning though i bit the bullet and looked in her mouth and i can actually see a tooth coming eeek... i even got dp to check and make sure i am not just imagining things... i know because it hasnt broken the skin yet it could be up and down for a few months but i need some suggestions on how to help her when its hurting her...
    she takes a dummy can u give a gummy dummy to a bub so young or bonjela?
    i am used to looking after older children (worked in childcare) and all the things i know i cant do with her at this age (frozen fruits and vegies etc) i dnt think she could hold onto a teething ring i am kinda at a loss apart from neurofen which i would rather not give her except as a last result! any ideas?

What about putting her dummy in the fridge or freezer, Noni? I believe they become warmer in the mouth fairly quickly, but if you have a few in the freezer you can keep rotating them...
    Poor Asha! I hope the tooth comes through quickly and she's not in pain for very long.

I was just about to post something about how old can babies start teething because my son is 3 months old and he is dribbling and getting teeth now too. Thank god Im not the only one.

LouiseR Guest

I had my first two teeth at 12 weeks!!!Suppose it depends on the baby...my wee man is 8months and not a tooth in sight!!

Unfortunately you can't give Bonjella until 4 months. I'd recommend something cold like snacks said. Pop some dummies, washers, bottle teats or whatever you think she'd chew on, in the freezer. That should help her.

i was going to suggest a washer in the fridge as well. Good luck!!!! If she is really irritable, you can always try a shot of panadol...

as well as the cold washer if that doesn't work boil some water, cool it and then freeze it. Then wrap one of the ice blocks in the washer.
    And seriously if all else fails gife your hands a really good wash and let her gnaw on them.

thanks guys i heard nurofen is better than panadol any ideas on giving it to an almost 3mth old?? the packet says 3mths

HI noni
    MM not sure when nurofen can be given.
    DD is teething at the moment - say situation can see the teeth just waiting!... the drooling and fisting etc has been happening for months though.
    I usually give bongela and a shot of panadol if still not settled and it works a treat.
    Panadol is safer at young ages.

FYI girls - some babies are born with teeth so there isnt a 'time' as such for teething

FYI girls - some babies are born with teeth so there isnt a 'time' as such for teething
    Ouch~! I have to say i'm not sad that Scarlet was born without teeth! LOL

Charlie is just on 8months & has 5 teeth...so I feel your pain.

Nurofen used to only be from 6months, though they do now sell one from 3months. Though I would try & hold of using it if you could. I would prob give panadol, but will admitt nurofen works much better. There are other things other than bonjela, perhaps look into them. Where do you live?? We got the best teeting gel at the Womans & Childrens Hosp in Adelaide...great stuff.

im in blackown nsw.. today is awful her hands are in her mouth her reflux is playing up n shes hardly eating shes having brauers teething relief n panadol with minimal success i dnt knw what to do she cant hold a teething ring n she dsnt really like cold things being put in her mouth i am at a loss

Sounds like you are doing everything you can Noni*e, I hope your little girl starts to feel better soon.

My DS is a few weeks older and has started jaming his hands so far inside his mouth that the corners of his mouth get red. He chews on them like you wouldn't believe, I might be joining you in the early teethers club soon (lol)

Spring xx

erin, tell me about this teething gel please!

DS got 2 teeth at 12 weeks too. He didn't like having thigns in his mouth either but soon worked that a cold facewasher felt nice.
    Danni - i used one called orajel from the US, but it was imported.

Hey Dani, it's called "mouth paint" & it is only sold at the pharmacy in the WCH....I would presume in other states too. It's kept in the fridge so always nice & cold. It's just applied with a cotton bud along the gums. Used for infant teething or mouth ulcers. They will only sell you one bottle at a time, so we sent in SIL & MIL, they posted it up to us. This stuff is fantastic!!! DH tried it (he likes to try everything) & numb his mouth right away. I swear by it & have friends here who have had some sent to them who also swear by it.