Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Reflux & Colic General Chatter & Support

bluesky Guest

I went and seen my health nurse yesterday and she suggested I hold off on solids til Jan09 and to just start on rice cerial. She is doing alot better I am up to my 5th night in a row sleeping all night and much easier to handle in the day which was my nightmere time and seems more contant. I give her the losec morning before a feed and then around lunch time then in afternoon, tablet disolved in a small bit of disolved water in the side of her mouch with a syringe, I get most of it in. I am feeling better now as it was getting me down and very upsetting at times but am seeing the light and starting to enjoy my baby.

Scarlett, I wouldnt NOT give meds if it was all that helped but in my exp[erience they mediacte without looking itno it much other than going, of must be reflux here this will help, when surely trying to refrain for whatever is causing the issue is BETTER than medicating the problem..

I have read your posts & know you have tried everything & are still on going in seeking help etc & thats awesome ofcourse your son isa eiing Dr's & homeopath etc to get answers, advice, help etc..

But starting off (so for people whom have just started this long & agonising road of reflux) for them i seggest looking at what they eat, drink, ingest, the formulas if formulka fed etc... talking to a naturipath.dietician, because we medicated trusting the paed, MCH, Dr's etc when the meds simply masked the underlying issue!

By simply taking dairy out of my diet, taking enzyimes that broke down casein & also by feeding him high protein foods meant for us in 5 days my son went from sleeping max 15mins every 4ish hours 24/7 for 10months he slept 14 hours 5 days after starting the new diet & we havent been up to him at all (even teething) in the last 7 months!!!!

When he was mediacted with the various antacid meds & then i was told to sedate him at night for my own sanity & health ( this was when I thought WTF are we doing!) & sought alternative advice!!! (I never sedated him mind you!)..

Im sorry but I jst think medicating is the bandaid for some instances & if making a dietary change can help then thats what I think most people would choose & I knwo it's not that easy for everyone, but as I explained what it did for us was amazing & what some of the meds can do to a babies liver etc is scary...

I hope this explains what i meant more!

Default Reflux & colic

Hi All

I have a 7mth old daughter named Zali. We bottle feed herand right up till now we have been using Nan formula which has been great however since birth and even on breast milk she has been a MASSIVE vommiter!! I am talking even up to 3 hours after a feed she will still be bringing up milk, it doesn't seem to bother her though, just annoys the life out of me having to clean up and go through 7-8 bibs a day from vomit.

Anyway so I have just started to use S-26 Reflux formula which is working wonders on the vomiting!! She has not vomited since she started drinking it which I must say is a great relief.... HOWEVER.... she has now started to get wind pain, I think the formula is ticker and she is having trouble digesting it....

What I want to know is does anyone else have another suggestion.... as now she is up most of the night and cries and squirms with wind pain...... I am a woman on the edge of frustration... I either have to put up with vomit or have my baby in pain which obviously is not the best option!

I apppreciate your help.

Cheers Mecil

Hi there,

I think the problem is that you switched her from a hypoallergenic formula, which is a lot easier to digest than the Nan formula. The S26 is full cows milk based, which takes a long time for digestion, which will leave it sitting in the tummy, which will cause reflux and thus discomfort.

What I would do is switch back to the nan and find a thickener like gaucol, if the nan was OK before but she just couldn't hold it down, that may solve the problem.

Good luck!

I took my baby to the doctors yesterday as he is suffering with bad reflux!!! He has told me to start out trying 1mg of mylanta 2 -3 times a day then work my way up to stronger things if it doesnt help. Im just wondering do i give it to him before or after his feed????? DS was crying at the time the doc was explaining it to me and i cant remember , i have been giving it to him before his feed but then i thought maybe i should be giving it to him after cuz thats when he has the pain.........think i am just confusing myself from lack of sleep......

Question Reflux & Losec

Hi

New to this site so hi to all - just a question. It is suspected my DS has reflux (11weeks) and my MCH Nurse has suggested Losec (He had all the symptoms, refusing to feed after first side, beside himself if laid flat after a feed or to sleep and lots of vomiting, poor little man). We have started Losec and he also has Mylanta pre feeding (BF). Has anyone had experience with this combination, and how long to continue with the Mylanta? We have a paediatrician appointment but unfortunately not for three weeks... DS appears improved thankfully! oh and i am also on a gluten/dairy/caffeine/egg/nut free diet to rule out an allregy component (lots of corn, rice, apples and pears...)

Any advice is appreciated...

Kind Regards

Kylie

Question

Hi,everyone,
    Im a mum of 4 & on second baby with silent reflux,my son whos 19 months now suffered from silent reflux,zantac worked great for him & at 6 months the reflux cleared up (thankgod) now i have a 6 week old girl with silent reflux,at 2 weeks she was put on zantac,but it didnt seem to help much,she is now on Losec......this is day 3,things seem to be getting worse if anything,ive read to give it 2 weeks to set in....i'm just wondering if anyone else used losec & found things got worse before getting better........& also if you noticed a problem with wind(bottom) wind.........the last 3 days she seems to be really uncomfortable with it

Is anyone chatting in here? would love to be able to chat to others who are experiencing the neediness that comes with a baby suffering reflux. Our DD was started on Losec one week ago, and I'm seeing some improvement... but don't know if it's as much as it should/could be? (or as I want it to be??). I am also wrangling a 2 y.o. I think this is tough!!

Just managed to get both down to sleep at the same time (for once!) and 5 mins later.. squeal of pain from DD, woke herself right up. She's now asleep in the wrap (so much for mummy's nap).

Hope to see some others in here??

Hi belfie,

I'm sharing your pain, though I only have one to look after thank goodness! I'm typing this with my left hand as DS is sleeping in my arms! Can I tell you that it DOES get easier though it might seem like it never will. DS is now off Losec and so far (touch wood) he seems okay... Something I think has helped tremendously is the osteopath (mammasue are you reading this?!) After only two visits DS now has the first two sleeps of the day in his basket and i'm hoping soon the afternoon sleeps will be too, whereas before ALL day time sleeps were in my arms.

There are a few others around too so hopefully they pop their heads in too

Hi, I'd love to chat as my DD is now 13.5 months old and still suffering from relfux. She was put on zantac at 3 weeks which did hardley anything and then losec at 4 months which seems to work well, though we are constantly having to adjust the dosage as she puts on weight and then the reflux gets out of control again. It's hard to talk about it to parents of non reflux children as they just don't understand - I think they think it couldnt be that bad and disruptive to a family and babies life - but it is!!!

lise - ooh thanks for posting. typing left handed... ah yes, we end up doing everything one handed huh. Well I just got myself a better sling (only had an ergo with infant insert which was too bulky) and am more resigned to life as a baby wearer. My little lady is just sooo much happier if she can stay upright & on me (oh and actually sleeps) and omg my sling is so comfortable thank goodness - it's saving my life atm. We've had one osteo session, next one is on thurs - hopefully it won't be followed by the hours & hours of screaming we got last time. So saying, hopefully short-term pain for longer term gain. We have a bit of a question mark on whether her dose of losec is really enough, so have put myself on our paed's waiting list & am trying to get a second opinion (GP put her on the losec & haven't seen paed since birth/hossie). I think i can manage it most of the time, but it's always about 9-10pm at night when I'm feelign exhaused, the house is still a bombsite and then I start to just unravel. Do you feel like you're just treading water & not actually getting anywhere!?!?

erybery - hiya. Sorry to hear that your DD is still having troubles. I think you're so right about non-reflux kids/parents... atm cos we're quite new to the reflux stuff, a lot of my friends seem to just think oh she doesn't sleep well... well there's more to it than that! I get so sick of ppl saying oh just do the essential stuff too. What am I supposed to leave out then? buying groceries? cleaning up the kitchen? washing the festy clothes covered in spits? meh it really annoys me.

I was lucky in that I had my MIL here yesterday helping out... and I had this little delusion of having a nap. But no, instead I ended up just being flat chat trying to get stuff done. DOesn't help that myself & DS both have head colds, and my little refluxy DD is sounding really snuffly too... but I'm not sure if that's a cold, the reflux or allergies . She's also got eczema (as does DS & DH)... and given DS has food allergies (and both myself & DH have food malabsorption/sensitivity issues) I'm nervous about that with her. I've gone off dairy, eggs, nuts, (both DS's allergens), chocolate, spicy stuff. I was avoiding caffeine too but had to bring that back on the weekend (migraine)... so figure i"ll let myself have a little. Can't survive this with nothing yummy for mummy. Has anyone else done the dietary stuff and did it help?

We are going through this too, I have a 3yo and an 18 mth to run around after too, so by the time I get all the kids sorted I dont have much time for housework. So I know how you feel belfie!

Ds is on Zantac, we had to double the dose as it stopped working. Is anyone else having trouble keeping the weight on? Ds was only averaging 60grams a week. It seems he intolerances too, I can't have dairy or wheat, chilli, garlic are bad too. We worked out through a process of elimination that he has a lactose intolerance, even a bit and he screams. To keep his weight up we are using formula top ups, although he seems to prefer bottles atm, hopefully he will bf once the reflux is under control.

Talking to family and friends they act like it's just a normal baby not wanting to sleep, it's hard to explain the difference. Sorry it's been a bit of a ramble!

eryberry, my son is 13 months and still medicated for reflux. though he is on a pretty good dose and it rarely bothers him. My 6 year old is also still medicated for it. It does get better, but if you need to talk, please post and I will try and help (that goes for anyone), we have tried just about everything.

I am wondering though about why you need to adjust the med so much with weight gain, losec isn't like zantac and generally once on a dose that works, does not need much tweaking. Are you using a compound by chance? That could explain that, otherwise what dose is she on, maybe it is on the low side?

Hi girls,
    Thanks for your support! I found when she was on Zantac it helped a bit and then stopped working at all even when the dosage was adjusted. As for weight gain, my DD was putting on great amounts of weight for the first couple of months (200-250grams a week!!) I think thats one of the reasons the doc didnt think it could be that bad but then around 3-4 months she had worked out that the pain was coming from B/f and therefore developed pain association with by BB's with NOone could fix. I saw Lactation consultants, midwifes, paeds, docs and tresillian. She started to lose weight rapidly, and was hardly wetting her nappies (which I only really noticed in hindsight once I changed to formula at 6.5months. At 6 months she weighed less then what se did at 3 months. I got mastitis 5 times as she was not draining me and everytime she did feed she would be pulling of screaming hystericaly which ended up with me crying at every feed and getting PND. I was told to put her on Formula but persisted because I knew "breast is best" but one day I just snapped and went to the doc and demanded tablets to dry up my milk (which didnt work and ended up almost hospitalised with the worst case of mastitis). Once on formula (which was just plain s26) she was still stiff as a board when feeding her but slowly started to relax and didnt cry as much either. I think because she was obviously so hungry this just made things worse with the sleeping and unsettledness. She is still underweight but catching up.

She had a test to check for lactose intolerance but she isn't and the milk protein allergy was brought up too but it isnt that. It is just severe refluc. The first paed we saw was hopeless and made me feel like a bad mother but the one I hae been seeing since she was 7 months is just lovely.

As for the losec dosage, she was on the compund but now we dissolve and put it on her cereal. I was told by both the pharmacist and 2 paeds that the dosage des need to be adjusted with weight. She is just on 9 kgs and is on 10mgs. I was told babies are on approx 1 mg per kg of their weight. However in the beginning the stupid old paed had no idea and prescribed double what she should have been on for her weight!!!

If you know more about losec please let me know!!!! Her reflux is always there (though no spewing hardly ever now - not that there was ever much) but every so often she seems to have Attacks where the screaming, arching of back, not sleeping and hiccuping and wet burps and the rest of the symptoms seems to go psycho and then when the medication is increased se settles down into almost a "normal" baby again. The paed said we can't really up her dosage anymore though at the moment for her weight, so hoping it doesnt get out of control again.

anyways theres just a long post about me, will bb later for personals xox

Hi Eryberry, thanks for writing back. A little about us, maybe I am just so used to reflux now but I may come accross a bit flippant when it comes to drs etc... but she can definately be on more meds,I would be pushing it for a couple of reasons, one is that she is in pain and a 1mg dose is not going to cut it for long with her. The other is, she isn't gaining weight probably cause she realises that when she eats it hurts. My second son Parker has reflux really bad, he sounds a little like your daughter, he was still just over 9 kgs when they even decided to put him on losec at 16months, by then he was failure to thrive and totally averted to eating, not being medicated also led to recurrent night coughing and sleep apnea, among other things.

But once he was on losec and on a good dose (he had testing before and they worked out just how bad it was) he slowly started eating, but the road to him being better in terms of eating took years, I can now say he is a healthy eater, still on the small side, but we don't have to push hidden calories or stress out cause he won't eat. My main concern with your little one is this, that if she does still have serious reflux going on, and she isn't on enough meds, then she may form a feeding aversion.

With the doseage a lot of studies have been done on it and it has actually worked out that they need a higher dose than adults in some cases because of their metabolism and frequent feedings. There is an american site which dose studies, they are called Marci Kids, I don't always advocate for them as personally I think their decision to go to high doses straight away, doesn't work for me, I think if possible try smaller doses and increase from there, but they do make a lot of sense in how much babies need and why. They are in Missouri I think, so see if you can find some info for your dr.

There is no doseage for children for losec and it is case by case. The 1mg/kg is a guide first thought of when drs decided to give this med to babies. It has been given for years and years but has only recently been approved for use in children, so any prescribing was 'off label' or at the drs discretion. Time has moved, more studies have been done and they have worked out babies need more. Your first paed was probably right in the dosing to be honest. Parker, like I said extreme case was put on losec 30mg at 16 months as well as zantac and is still on 30mg a day now at 6, in that time his weight has more than doubled but the dose is the same.

With Beckett I was a bit more on the ball with it and he was put on 10mg at 6 weeks, by the paed and was on 20mg at 4 months and has been on that ever since, he too has gained weight in that time and has not needed it increased. You may just fined if you can get that higher dose in, like the 20mg, then you may not have to tweak it and you will have more good days than bad.

It sounds like you have had a tough year, especialy the first 6 months, do know it does get easier, even if they have to be on meds longer than the magical '1 year' everyone keeps talking about!
    Last edited by scarlet121; November 11th, 2010 at 12:27 AM.

I hope I am able to put a link, please remove it if I am not, but this was a quick google search of the losec package insert, and even that says not approved in children under 1 and the dose is 10 to 20mg for a child to 20kg. Some GP's and paeds are more hesitant to increase reflux meds, but you can ask to see a gastro dr if you aren't getting any luck.

http://www.nps.org.au/__data/assets/...8/apcloset.pdf

Scarlet - thanks for the info. I have asked to see a gastro doc and asked if she should have a barium swallow test but keep getting told she dosnt need to cause its obvious she has it and its being managed with the losec.

I am ok with just the 10mgs at the moment for her as she has settled right down and has actually been sleeping though again (yay!) and is a happy girl now aswell. However I will push for more should it get out of control again.

The paed told me that it is just a matter of time before her muscles and digestive system develop so I am wondering why your son at 6 still has it?? I really hoped it wouldn't be a lifelong problem

My DD also has low muscle tone (mild) so this does not help things as her sphincter (spell?) is not as strong with keeping everything down.

It's funny cause she has always been an okay eater with food and she now drinks milk and water fine with no aversions. I would say she is a fussy eater but no more then many of other babies her age that I know.

Thats why I am always quick to up the dosage of meds when she does worse so that she doesn't get aversions to food. She was at the 25th percentile when bornthen went to the 50th quickly then dropped to below the 10th and has now risen above the 25th again so at least thee is progress.

I will look up marci kids.

Yes, your right it has gotten easier just can't believe what a major role reflux has played in our lives!!!!

Thanks for the info hun

Hi everyone,

Interested to read about your journeys. Sorry I can't remember names & navigation on the phone is tricky (plus I'm so frickin' tired) so I'll respond to thoughts/ideas.

My dd I think has been caught quite early before it's got too bad & we're lucky in that she's on losec, but I think her dose is too low (she's 5.4kg and on 3.2mg granules - was put on that when we thought she was 4.5kg but was actually 5kg) She's still gaining weigh really well 300g+ per week) but I want to be careful in case we start to go backwards. I was so sorry to read about the bub who started well with bf then had weight problems.

My DD has had some better day naps this week but some really fussy fretful feeds which makes me nervous. And honestly I wouldn't be surviving without my sling!
    Black rose - Ooh 2 more littlies I feel your pain!!
    I also talked to my LC about settling strategies, and she was basically saying that while routine is good, we just have to comfort her when she's in pain... Not something you can "re-settle"!! And while my LC was there, DD did a classic burp (no spit) then yowled in pain. Poor little mite. Apparently the losec can take quite a while to work so I'm just worried that we'll spend too long on a low dose and then risk it impacting her feeding and that she won't be perceived as having bad reflux and will be under-treated cos her gains are so good.

I just feel like everything I did with my son is sooo irrelevant for her and it does my head in. Oh my LC also lent me an awesome book which I'll come back & post the details.
    I've brought some caffeine back in my diet and I don't think it's made much difference. But DD is seeming even snufflier which worries me. I've got us on the cancellation list for our paed, so fingers crossed.
    And on a totally different topic, my DS had a febrile convulsion yesterday. I really hope today is less stressful!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast