Thread: Screaming baby - help!

Default Screaming baby - help!

Hello All,
    I am not sure what is going on, but bubs has been screaming all week. He is normally a content bub, and have had no problems up to this week. Monday it all started, grisly, not wanting to feed, but then wanting too, crying that turns into full-blown screams (purple face, not taking a breath, hands clenched, giving it all he's got, the works). I might change positions and he would stop instantly and just look around.

I am so confused. If he is in pain, then wouldn't it be constant? I mean, it is a very grisly cry with the waaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaa, then a break, then the cries intensify. I know after a couple of hours he is over tired, but how can you get him down if he is crying? He did this for 4 hours on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Saturday wasn't too bad, and today he has been ok.

I mean, it is not dirty nappy, doesn't seem to want to burp, not hot/cold. Presume not hungry, getting lots of cuddles and attention. What could it be???

Can 6 week old bubs get constipated? He went a day without doing a big poos, just tiny ones. Today he did a nice big one and it is runny, so I presume he is not constipated, so why then the lack of number 2s, when he normally has at least several dirty nappies a day? could this be making him upset?

Is this normal 6 week behaviour? The doc gave me a prescription for Losac which I only give him half a tablet a day in some boiled water and expressed milk. I am not sure if it is reflux, or colic, or both, or a growth spurt, or I am just going mad...

I feel pretty alone, which is stupid because I know lots of people have these issues with their bubs. I think I am a tad irrational after a week of this and feel so helpless.

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi Hun, first of all a huge hug for you.

Secondly I was going to suggest that perhaps bub has reflux. It doesn't have to mean that bub is spewing up it can also be the acids burning up his osephagus(sp) The pain wouldn't be constant, more commonly after feeds. But not always.

At 6 weeks old babies also go through a growth spurt which can mean loads of cluster feeds. Also the drop in poo's is more than likely just bub's digestive system changing. As his body matures all of his functions will change.

After his feeds are you keeping him upright for a while ? Are you spending lots of time burping him ? Also you can try elevating the top of his bed, so that he is never laying flat as such. All of these things are easy enough to try and I'm sure your already doing. Just thought I'd put it out there jic.

When you are overtired everything is a big deal. Sleep deprivation and a baby screaming are a perfect recipe for torture treatments.

I know it's hard right now. But remember it WILL get better. Take it one day at a time hun. Another hug for you

Thanks Trish,
    Yes, bed raised, I have also removed the bassinet from his pram and now have him in the upright part. He is still little, so it is semi-reclined, but he does seem happier. I have just read save our sleep and the lady recommends burping every 3 minutes, which I have only just started today. He has been heaps better, but not sure what worked, if anything. Maybe the medication has kicked in, maybe the growth is over, maybe the burping helped, maybe the caffiene is out of my system, or maybe he is just letting me get some rest before next weeks onslaught!

Thanks for the reply, it is nice to know there are people out there that offer free hugs! I definitely need all I can get right now

Good to hear that something is working. Whatever that may be. Perhaps it's a combination of them all. Who know's.

Hug's are the easiest to give, they cost nothing and mean heaps.
    Take care of you sweety. Without you who will your little man have

Hey Dragonbub, so glad things are getting better.
    It is so hard when your baby cries and you've no idea of how to make it better for them Natalie went through long phases like this for the first six months of her life. She liked being held face down over my arm, and face out on my hip with my arm over her belly.
    Hope he's over the worst of it and will go back to being your content and settled bub.

Hey ladies,
    Thanks for the replies. He is much better now, although seems to be in a bit of a pattern of morning tantrum - red face, crying, very loud and sounds in pain. Then I settle him and it is off to sleep. Maybe something I will just have to get used to. He is off to sleep now so maybe he is just a bit of a sleeper in the mornings and more awake in the evening.

It is hard to know who to listen to - sleep when they need to, wake them up after so many hours for a feed to get into a routine, never wake a sleeping baby, etc etc. It is easier not to fight him and just let him do what he wants. Harder when I have to change him or something and he is grumpy, but you can't have everything I suppose.

Thanks again!