Thread: teething, average age?

Unhappy teething, average age?

hi,

my partner and i are debating on whether or not our 3 month old is teething.

i say that she is, she's always chewing on her hands, she's been funny with her feeds and is starting to become quite unsettled at times.

he on the other hand, doesnt think that she is teething.

but is 3 months too early or is it an average age?

Tia, my eldest, had teeth at 6 months and Alisha had teeth around 5 months.

medically the average age when the bottom teeth start to erupt is 6 months but give or take 2 months either side. having said that all kids are different and thats and average only, going by your other kids she will very well may have teeth by 6 months
    hand chewing could aslo be a tried sign

Hi Michelle_K, as TJP said it can vary between babies and 6 months is around average. However, my DS cut his first tooth 2 days before he was 3 months old (and it was a canine tooth - which is highly unusual). Its hard to tell when they are teething at this early stage, as developmentally they start doing a lot of things similar to feeding. They chew on their hands and everything else now because they can, and can get funny with their feeds as they are much more interested in everything else now.

Yeah, it's a tough call whether or not it's teething. She could very well be or she could just be behaving like a normal 3 month old. My DS started chewing his hands heaps around then and he became more unsettled with sleeping, I think because he was more aware of his surroundings.

I wish they could tell us!

Claire was acting similarly at around 3.5 months. We also thought that she was teething so we were always looking in her mouth for teeth! No teeth until she was 7 months though. She started sucking her thumbs and toes around 3 months though, so now that I think about it it could have just been that she had discovered her mouth, hands and feet at that time.

my 7th months old got her first 2 teeth at 3 and a half months, shes now got 8 teeth, wen most babys her age in our play group are only just starting to teethe