Thread: using gaviscon infant

Red face using gaviscon infant

hey i just wanted to ask all you out there who have used infant gaviscon before how often did you give it to your bubs?? Ash has been really bad today with reflux so i bought some, she only had 3mls and it seemed to help but it was after shed had half her bottle then cried alot then we went to the chemist and then she had it followed by the bottle.. so maybe id need 3mls twice because she takes her feed in two goes...
    anyway lol i'll get to the point.. i wanted to know how many times i day i should be doing this? theres probably no ideal amount for everyone but what worked for you??

Do you mix it in the bottle?? Do you FF or BF?
    As it's a thickner we mixed the sachet into Charlie's bottle for nearly all his feeds. As his is FF, it said on the packet not to use more than 6 sachets in 24hrs, so I would ensure I mainly used it for bed time feeds. It worked great for us, then when he started getting constipated on that Formula & we had to change we just went to a thickened formula as it was cheaper than buying the Gaviscon & Formula all the time.

perhaps also try the brauers stomach calm.
    But, if Asha's reflux is bad enough, go to your paed and get a script for losec.
    I tried Aiden on mylanta, and it worked for a day or to, but, then, gave him a very upset stomach, and he ended up being muchmuch more unsettled.
    Now, he has losec, as regular as i remember, and if i forget, i give him abit of stomach calm when i can tell its hurting him. I dont mean to sound like a bad mum, but, generally, he is starting to grow out of it, so i am not that strict with giving it to him.

ETA - i had Aiden on Novelac for Reflux. Expensive. I had him on it for about 3 weeks or so, from 10weeks old to about 13 weeks old, and then his reflux started getting worse. I rang my paed, and told him what i was feeding Aiden, and he told me that they dont recommend thickened formulas as they mask the problem, and also, when they do want to throw up, it can cause them more pain... or something to that effect. He recommened me to use Nan 1 Ha Gold, which i did, and Aiden has been fine ever since.

i do ff but give it to her via syringe as if i was bfing incase she dosn't like the taste (dnt want her to have negative associatons with her bottle) we have tried thicker formula but it didn't work...
    she not having a full sachet yet at any time i mix the whole thing up but even if i gave a syringe twice she would only be using half...
    did the thickened formila stop his pain? i found it made it worse for Ash coz it was harder for her to bring up wind and vomit and caused more pain...

Noni, you posted at the same time i did...

debbie u dnt sound like a bad mum.. i am not sure if its bad enough how do u decide whats bad enough iykwim??
    it says not to use gaviscon for more than 7days without medical advice though so i am a bit warey of it

My CHN told me to go & try it before I took him to the doc & see if it worked. It actually worked great for us, but I can only presume his reflux was not as bad as your poor bubs.

i never new that Aiden had reflux until his 6 week check up when teh paed said he did. before that, i figured he was a happy chucker, but, after that, he started to get pain as well. I sometimes think it might of been due to a change in formula - i had put him on to the karicare gold plus, and 4 days later, he started screaming the house down.. (mind you, it was one feed a day, the rest was ebm)