Thread: NB not a fan of swaddling

Default NB not a fan of swaddling

We called her Booter in utero because she was a real kicker. Now she's on the outside she is readying herself for aerobics, athletics or something! She doesn't always seem to like being wrapped and often wriggles about trying to free herself. Sometimes I find that she has even freed an arm during her nap. She's so strong! This has thrown me with regards to safe sleeping. If I don't swaddle her, is it still safe to use a blanket? At what age can you start using a sleeping bag? She's only 2 1/2 weeks. I get the feeling she'd much prefer to have her arms free.

Ta muchly, Lisa

My first was a wriggler too, she'd get out of anything we wrapped her in, I bought her a roll device from safe n sound. It's two rolls with material attached in between that bubs lies on, worked a treat to hold her still then I used a blanket on her. I think they're about $30 from big w . I found it also stopped her from moving up and down the cot as well.
    Hope this helps,
    Snoopea

Hi Moolie

DD was exactly the same. In al her ultrasound pics she had her hands at her face and still liked to sleep like that out in the big wide world.
    So we used sleeping bags (she is still in one at 12 months). And she slept much better.

My first DS was the same. As it was summer in Brissy we just mostly left him with just a sheet over him. About all we could do really, he wouldn't tolerate being wrapped. Funnily enough, he still hates having his arms wrapped in a towel after his bath.

My 3 children, as newborns, wouldn't have a bar of swaddling. So i have never done it. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it either. I tried and tried with my first but she never settled and screamed until I gave up and let her sleep on her tummy (I know this is not recommended). As soon as I let her go down on her tummy, legs curled under her, bum up in the air in later weeks, she was happy. She was a very strong newborn... could support her head from very early on. If I made her lie on her back she screamed and screamed until i let her roll over. I put this down to the fact that she was born via vacuum extraction and had a huge bump on the back of her head for the first day or two. The nurses 'let' me let her sleep on her tummy because of this... I think she got used to it. But also, like I said, she was very strong and had great neck strength and could lift her head up off the mattress at a very early age. Another contributing thing was that from very early on I used to pat her bottom to settle her... this worked like a charm... she found it so soothing. Perhaps she didn't like lying on her back because then i couldn't pat her bottom Anyhow I lived with a lot of guilt with her when she was a newborn with everyone saying she should be sleeping on her back. I made sure I followed all the other safe sleeping recommendations: firm mattress, no cot bumpers, no smoking etc. She was fine and slept well. When i had my other babies i did the same thing. By the time I had my 3rd a paed said to me that about 1/10 babies refuses to sleep on their backs and that it is often accompanied by good neck strength and that it often runs in families! He "let" me sleep my third on his tummy... finally some endorsement to follow my intuition!

I know this is way off topic! LOL Once again i'm not suggesting you do what i do. I'm just saying: follow your instincts. Don't tune out to what you think she is trying to tell you. Keep asking for suggestions. Some MCHNs will insist that you swaddle... some might have some other suggestions. Don't be afraid to try a few things. Goodluck!

ETA: Pinkpalace; just reminded me that my third baby was born with his hand up near his face... he still sleeps like that to this day! On his tummy!
    Last edited by Bathsheba; May 28th, 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Wow Bath, that's interesting. My boys could both lift their head from birth and neither were fans of back sleeping. I persisted with DS1 and he did sleep on his back until he could roll over (7 weeks) but DS2 absolutely refused so I put him on his tummy and used a baby monitor for some reassurance. Mabye not recommended but then neither is getting absolutely no sleep.

Yep, mine were the same Manta: they could support their heads almost from the moment they were born. I remember taking a photo of my third baby at 3 days old and posting it for my June Baby Buddies to see. One member said "He looks like a 3 month old!!!" (the way he was sitting up straight on my lap).

You're right: you can just tell when they aren't going to sleep in a certain way. I rarely sleep on my back myself. The idea of it makes me feel uncomfortable and "exposed" I need to be able to curl up a bit.