Aussie_Chik Guest

What about:

being on antibiotics
    designated driver
    don't like that particular drink
    i'm letting my hubby drink tonight
    gotta get up early in the morn...

angelfish Guest

you could pretend to drink if you're that desperate to keep it a secret. Or you could say "don't get excited, I'm not pregnant" (thinks: "yet...") and then people won't question further unless they are really nosy

put a lemon in some water and tell people its gin and tonic! Everyone hates that drink so no one will try and taste it!

Designated driver
    not feeling too good

PMSL

That's FANTASTIC Danni!!!

Celsie. xoxox

I don't really have to use an excuse because I hardly drink anyway, but I would use the 'designated driver' or 'letting DH drink tonight' excuse

Unfortunately i was soooooo sick from the beginning...so our close group of friends put two and two together as i was throwing up and off alcohol, but our little secret remained for a little longer with our family as they just thought i was ill

NewmumLou Guest

Yeah Rae i fell for that one... naughty.... next time round i may be a little more cluey, you would think.... as i have now been there done that and seen how you were with elle.

LOL Rae yep unfortunately there was no hiding the signs for you

My SIL had a bit of trouble because she always drank wine at family dinners (well....MIL is a big drinker so used to fill up our glasses) but she announced that she was going on a health kick and only drank water

Hey all,

I am going to have REAL trouble with this one as my In Laws always have a bottle opened so when the time comes and there is a gathering of some sort I am in for a bit of trouble. We will only tell the parents so no brothers/sisters will know......the only thing I can use is the antibiotics thing. If I was driving, I would usually have 2 glasses of wine anyway......so basically I am screwed LOL

Bella it looks like antibiotics will have to work for you Maybe if the parents know they will make sure you already have another drink in front of you so it doesn't look so obvious.

My inlaws would probably fall off their chairs if I WAS drinking (what can I say...I don't like their cask wine LMAO)

*TamaraP* Guest

I just used to say that drinking too much is bad for the waist line and that I need to lose a few kilos. It was only mainly when his family was around because they love the drink. But other than that, no one really asked.

SuzL - I might have trouble with MIL as she will be acting strangely and may make a big deal of my not drinking. I will have trouble with pretty much everyone we know as I have been known to be a bit of a p*ss head hehehe - love my wine I.E my avatar...red wine. Love the wineries, there is a winery trip being planned within the family for Nov...so hoping I am pg by then as Spring Carnival time is going to be very BIG!!!

Another good excuse i've used it to pretend that you had a big one the night before and are feeling abit seedy - you just couldn't handle even the smell of alcohol!

I'm a big wine drinker and have found it hard not to have a glass or two every night. It's also not easy since our wine rack is close to full!

So far I've been lucky. We've been out a few times already in the past week or two, but luckily I've had my foot in an immobilisation boot, so I've used anti-inflamitories (sp?) as an excuse. It's believable since it's prescription meds.

My bro's wedding is on in seven weeks (just when we want to tell people, but we don't want to steal their thunder) so I'll be on anti-biotics that night. Me not drinking at a wedding will be a first so I'm hoping everybody will buy it!

Oh SuzL and Fletch will be able to tell u that i'm a massive P***head!!!!!!!! I've just had to go cold turkey this time around cause 1 glass can too easily lead to a 3rd or 4th. Unfortunately for me this time around with TTC #2 everyone already has an idea cause i'm now drinking water

It was hard for us.. coz we had not long been trying to become wine experts and drinking a lot with friends LOL. We had been trying all different wines to work out the differences and which ones we liked. Our problem was I made DH go off alcohol & caffeine too.. so we both needed an excuse! We basically said that we'd had so much wine we were sick of it and were having a break. A few raised their eyebrows and asked if I was pregnant.. and I could honestly say no.. coz we went off it 4 months before even TTCing. But the fact that DH stopped too got them stumped hehe. People seem to think you only stop drinking once you ARE pregnant, so when they ask.. just say you're not pg!

I've found the easiest way to keep a secret.. is not to tell my mum.. coz she's the worst liar ever! LOL. She's not finding out ANYTHING until the 12 week mark with #2. She couldn't keep her trap shut about my pregnancy.

Easy this time around.. coz I'm still b/f'ing. Have to find an excuse for DH tho.. coz he loves his coffee & beer! LOL. Don't think he's looking forward to that aspect of TTC again. hehehe.

hhhmmm yeah that will be a tough one to explain why DH isn't drinking when we're TTC (he drinks way too much as it is). Luckily he's a fitness fanatic so hopefully he'll just say he's on a health kick

I dont drink that cheap stuff your offering! LOL
    Medication is a good one, tooth ache medication you cant drink with, no one will know if you have a tooth ache or not! and they reoccuring tooth ache might just keep coming back and back at function times.
    Going on a health kick- no bad stuff.

I stopped drinking before TTC as i had some pretty bad hangovers and drinking occassions and it was just a choice i made, and most close friends know we would like a baby soon. Im getting too old, my body cant cope works well with how we used to party. I swapped vodka for water at some parties and no one never knew.
    Yet summer is going to be hard as nothing like a good beer or two or more with a BBQ.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast