Thread: folic acid

Default folic acid

HI

I have just found out that i am pregnant. very very excited. i have been taking folic acid. the brand is megafol and its 0.5mg. Has anyone ever heard of this one? Is 0.5mg the right dosage. I just walked in a pharmacy and asked for folic acid. I have been taking it with water as soon as i wake up.

Sara

I take a pregnancy vitamin which has 250 mcg and I take 2 a day, so its the same amount. I'm sure that amount is fine.

I thought the recommended supplement was about 400-500mcg (0.4-0.5mg) a day? You're not really supposed to go too far over the top unless you have had problems with neural tube defects in the past, in which case I recall the dose being around about 2.5-5mg a day or so. If you have no history of problems I would stick to the recommended dose rather than go over the top? You can actually have too much although the risks are low.

Also, I should point out the folate supplementation is recommended to help prevent neural tube defects. By about 30 days after conception the baby's neural tube has closed so the folate supplementation doesn't help with preventing NTDs after then. Of course, there's nothing wrong with continuing to take folate afterwards as its still important for other things but the key thing is to supplement 1 month before and a month or two after conception to reduce the incidence of NTDs.
    Last edited by jja; November 28th, 2006 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Added info about NTDs

I have heard that the recommended dose has actually been increased to at least 800mcg per day. I know that the folate content in Elevit (leading prg & BF vitamin) was increased from 500mcg to 800mcg about 6-12 months ago.

I've been taking about 1000mcg per day (two tablets) and as far as I was aware it was not harmful to take more than the recommended dose? I do this because I read that in some cases it can be beneficial for women with a history of m/c.

If someone who knows could post one way or the other, I'd be interested to know! I'm seeing my FS on Thursday so I might add it to my list of questions and let you know what he says.
    Last edited by Willow; November 28th, 2006 at 02:07 PM.

i started taking folic just after i conceived as i didnt realise i was pregnant. i have read some books that say u should take it about a mth b4 u conceive and others say as soon as you fall pregnant??? does it matter that i only started taking it once i was pregnant?

TTC4DH&ME Guest

I am not sure of its effect if you only start taking it once you are preggo!! but it is definatly more benifical to start before you concieve.

Maybe you should go and speak to your doctor or health care professional (i.e> Pharmacist) if you are a bit confused about it. I don't think you should be taking two tablets if the directions only ask you to take one. I know when I was pregnant it always made me feel better asking the chemist beforehand - especially after I asked family whether I could take flu tablets and they said of course you can. To be on the safe side I asked the chemist first and he said No. Made me feel much safer asking him.
    Good luck with a healthy and happy pregnancy!

clare076 Guest

When TTC Max, the pharmacist recommended taking folic acid 5mg tabs and an iron tab "instead" of any pregnancy formula. After loosing Max, we found out he had spina bifida as well as the triploidy and although they don't know whether it was related to the triploidy or not I was advised to again take the folic acid 5 mg. I am also taking elevit, I have been assurred by my Gp, geneticist and ob that this is OK to take, I will not overdose, nor will it have any detrimental effects on future pregnancies.

Go speak with your pharmacist or Ob if you are worried.

sarak,
    I am taking the exact same folic acid as you. My doctor recommended it when he knew I was trying to conceive and has told me to continue at this dosage through my first trimester.
    0.5mg is the normal amount to take if you do not have a medical history that dictates otherwise.

I am also taking megafol 5mg daily and have been for 20 months. I'm taking this dose as both my brother and dh have a slight case of spina bifida.The drs seem

My GP told me that a potential risk in taking (too much?) folate is having identical twins. When i looked excited, she said it's something you should try NOT to have ;-) Anyone else heard that?

Deni, I've never heard that. Has anyone else??

Wonder how that works....

i started on elevit today but i spoke to my doc and my levels of folic acid are fine. she said it was fine that i started taking it when i fell preg since i found out i started taking it when i just fell preg .