Thread: silly question?

Default silly question?

I know that the best time to ttc is while you are ovulating but what are the chances outside of that time, is it still remotely possible to fall pregnant? This may be a silly question but I am just curious as I am having pg symptoms but hadn't been ttc so I checked and at the time I wasn't ovulating. Could anyone shed some light?

sperm can survive up to 5 days in you prior to you ovulating, is that what your asking?

You also might not always ovulate when you think you do. Most people assume they ovulate at the "normal" time in their cycle, but some people ovulate earlier and others later.

not a silly q hun - i thought i had the whole cahrting thing "down" (we werent tryin yet) but here is little unit in my tummy. I think i ovulated twice, doc tends to agree.

Hopefully this goes whichever way you wish?!

I find it all a bit confusing lol, with my dd we just said ok let's go off the pill and just let nature take it's course so I didn't really chart my ovulation anyway, maybe I should just wait and see if af arrives, the thing is now that I have the thought in my head another baby would be wonderful!!! even though we weren't going to start trying again till august.

I was going to ask a similar question and wasn't sure if it was worth a thread starter...

I wanted to know - if I have a period for 5 days (counting day 1 as the first day of af) then dtd on day 6 ( and weren't too careful about things) - what are the chances of being pg? I have a 28 day cycle... Dh is nervous - he didn't want to have any more just yet - and wont even think about dtd or anything of that nature till he *knows* that we're not pg.

are you asking if you could have Oed and fallen pg on day 6 the day after your AF ended? i'm no expert but i dont think that would be possible. who knows though.. someone else might be able to help you out a bit more than i can.

thats what we were trying to find out! I dont think its possible either, but it cant hurt to ask, even if its just to stop dhs fear.

Rhianon, if you have a 28 day cycle and it is mostly regular, it'd probably be pretty safe to assume that you'd not fall pg on day 6, I would've thought. There's a bit that goes on in the pre-ovulation phase - a dominant follicle needs to have time to develop to a certain level of maturity in this time, before it is able to release the ovum. Also, in the unlikely event that fertilisation would have occurred, the endometrium needs to have time to repair itself after menstruation for implantation.
    When I was charting, I always considered the few days after my period 'safe'.
    HTH a little.

Sconeonamission I have friends named andrew and rhiannon and they have alittle boy too!!! how funny is that!!!
    What I was trying to find out is can you fall preggers even when you aren't ovulating like is there even a slim chance that it can happen outside of that time!!

You can't fall pregnant if you are not ovulating or about to ovulate - sperm will live up to 5 days so theoretically you could get pg in the 5 days before you ovulate, but not at other times.

Rhianon, I would think it's pretty unlikely in the circumstances you describe.

This bubby in my belly was conceived from DTD 4 days before Ovulation! The little swimmers stuck around and waited it out

ETA Rhianon anything is possible. Your body might throw in a short cycle! Not trying to freak you out or anything

Thanks for your help! I wasn't particularly worried, just DH. But it helps to know! Kinda looking forward to AF this month... will be both disappointed and relieved when she shows up..

Thanks all!

Brianna - lol funny! Are u sure it isnt us?

Rhianon-I actually did a double take when I saw the names lol the other rhiannon and andrew have a little boy named Preston who is 19 months old imagine if the boys had the same names as well how crazy would that have been!!!!!