Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TTC and Thrush

Dahlia Guest

Default TTC and Thrush

Hi All
    I am new to this forum and have been off the pill since July 2003 after being on it for 11 years.
    I am finding however that during my fertile period that I am getting mild cases of thrush :evil: Besides the fact that it can make sex uncomfortable, it probably doesn't provide the most fantastic environment for sperm survival and conception! I am about to enter the fertile period at the moment therefore eating natural yoghurt like it is going out of fashion but am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have heard that thrush is common during pregnancy due to fluctuating hormone levels so I guess the same is happening here.
    Cheers
    Dahlia

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Dahlia,

An even better option to eating yoghurt is buying Acidophilus (pronounced acid-off-ilus) capsules or powder from your pharmacy . They are the "good" live bacteria. It might be worth your while taking that regularly, as it contains many. many times more potency than in yoghurt or the drinks on the market.

Thrush is when you get an overgrowth of bacteria in your bowel - because us women aren't designed that well and our bits are really close together compared to men, it easily spreads. Other common reasons you can get thrush are poor diet etc. so don't feel embarassed about going to get it! By taking acidophilus you can help prevent it from happening.

It's usually found in the fridge as it is live bacteria so you may need to ask for it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Orkids Guest

Hi Dahlia,

My doc also told me that when you BD a lot you should urinate before and after BDing to prevent thrush and UTI's. 8-[

Yep the urinating thing works! But you want to know something funny There is a saying out there that if "it" is a bit on the bigger side...then you tend to get more thrush, and also make sure that he doesn't have thrush. As once he gets it he will keep giving it to you especially if he isn't circ'd (as its more common for uncirc'd guys to have it and have no symptoms and thus pass it on).

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Dahlia Guest

Thanks everyone. I have had thrush before when I was on the pill. It is just that it has become more frequent :evil: since I have come off the pill which is most annoying!
    I am sure hubby will like to think that it is because of him that it is becoming more frequent O
    I might see how this cycle goes and head down to the chemist for some tablets should it flare again.
    Cheers and thanks for the comments
    Tara

P.S. Is there a spot in the forum where all these acronyms are defined!!! Ta

NP's Dahlia As for the acronyms...there is a forum dedicated to it right here

Goodluck with those tablets!

*hugs*
    Cailin

hello,
    i've had thrush lots and lots of times in both "down there" and in my mouth, the mouth one is extremly painfull..

Cailin:
    also make sure that he doesn't have thrush. As once he gets it he will keep giving it to you especially if he isn't circ'd (as its more common for uncirc'd guys to have it and have no symptoms and thus pass it on).
    mm i think thats how i kept getting it as joshuas father wasnt circ'd (probly a detail u didnt want to know) and i kept getting it again and again and again! :evil:

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Moving to General Conception Discussion
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I used to get thrush evey month about when AF was due. Supposedly it can occur when the acidic environment in the vagina changes with your cycle.
    I sent DH to the Dr to get checked out.The Dr told DH that it is a common misconception that men can keep reinfecting you with it, dunno if I believe that.
    This is what helped me.
    I make sure that when I shower that I don't soap up too much as soap strips away natural fluids which changes ph and thrush can multiply rapidly.
    All the lacy gstrings got the chuck as the nylon keeps your bits warmer than cotton and thrush grows in warm environment. Also tight jeans went too.
    Take acidophilus tablets like Kelly said and eat yoghurt.
    Get onto it ASAP. I kept a reserve of canestin just in case as even a few hours can make the differance between a hideous case and a not so bad one.
    Sorry don't mean to lecture just want to help as I know your pain!

apparently its important to keep it dry as possible - and a friend of mine who has trouble with it has even told me her doctor said she should dry herself with a hair dryer after a shower.

Also told her that if she felt it might be coming on, in the early stages, brown vinegar dabbed on the area can help.... :-k

Keen

Although this was for Group B Strep (my colony was like ++++++++++++++++++ there was so much lol).. my doctor did recommend that rather than eating the yogurt you actually insert it down below.. this allows the good bacteria immediate access to the problem area...

This is especially import when yah been on antibiotics and you've killed all the good bacteria ..

Some people dont like this method, and others swear on it.. so I dont know.

Yogurt can be inserted on a tampon, in a non needle syringe (50cents at chemist) etc...

K

I too was constantly getting thrush, at least once a month before TTC. It got so bad that the Canisten cream just wasn't working properly, so was given a strong script (however you cant take it when TTC) which killed it off quick smart. It also occasionally caused bladder infections too. I was told too that nylon nickers or stockings can bring it on.

Then a few months later it came back, tried canestan & it wasnt doin anything, got to Dr's, they sent me for swabs (however can't have used canestan for at least 48hrs before), which came back negative for thrush. She said it was most likely a skin iritation like sirisus or dermatitus & told me to stop using soap down there. Started using 'Dove', never had it since.

I've had this a few times.

I've found that when washing the girly bits, it is best to use water only. Sorbolene is also an acceptable alternative to soap. Any kind of normal soap, shampoo, bubble bath etc. can set it right off.

I have noticed that when I get thrush I am usually run down. It's an opportunistic little thing.

I've also tried wearing the yogurt internally and found that it worked for me. I put it in just before bed.

I think I jinxed myself, feeling stingy & itchy, just like thrush. Hope this doesn't blow our chances for this month. Anyone know?

Miss Vicki Guest

U can get it from Stress, High yeast foods, an High amount of sugar can do it
    I jsut got it the other day (very very mild) an im not ttc, mind u i havent had it since i was preg with my girl
    As the doc recon i was Pround to them with havin stiches an that That Salt baths did good Lots of waterAn cut down on the sugar lol
    I found douchin (sp?) with warm (clean) salt water or plain is the best for helpin clean up stuff..
    shower before an after sex expes after sex as some times This is when its starts to happen..

not sure if that helped but thoguhts id give my 2 cents

I get it from clomid, but my dr has told me it won't affect our chances. I have found out of everything (including creams/persaries) that yoghurt does work best. The persary can make DTD very uncomfortable borderline painful as it can leave dry patches inside. Whereas I would worry that the creams would affect the potency of semen iykwim. I also take "Inner Health" which is available from chemists, its a good bacteria to help prevent thrush, its also great for your digestive system too.

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Default Thrush

I have heard that a tampon quickly dipped in vinegar and than inserted for and hour or so can help. I don't know how it would affect your fertile time though.

I tried the vinegar thing and it didn't really work for me and it was BLOODY painful LOL! Whereas yoghurt is cooling too.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast