Thread: Zinc???

Missy82 Guest

Question Zinc???

Howdy everyone,

just curious if anyone out there has started feeding their hubby's / partners Zinc to try and increase fertility? I have read that it is supposed to increase mobily of the sperm, anyone know if this is true? im willing to give it a try

I've put DH on Blackmores zinc tablets this month and told him if he needs a snack to have a raw carrot! We have decided to get really serious this month. I've got a Maybe Baby, I'm charting, taking Evening Primrose Oil and drinking grapefruit juice LOL. He was quite agreeable to it, he wants the BFP just as much as I do.

It says on the zinc supplement jar that zinc supports the production of healthy sperm. It's just one tablet a day.

We had success with zinc supplements. We have male and female factor infertility, so DH had lots of sperm tests over the course of our TTC. His initial count was <1million sperm ('normal' is approx 20million, I think it's per ml). After taking zinc, his next count was 4 million, and the count after that (about 6 months later) was 11 million (and the cycle we conceived our beautiful son on).
    DH is taking zinc again, and we're TTC #2 and he and I are convinced that it had a very beneficial effect last time.

Missy82 Guest

Thanks heaps for the info girls, i will be buying some zinc tablets for my DH and see how we go!

Good luck Missy

CeeCee2 Guest

you can take the 'zinc' taste test at most chemsits. if he is really low, you may need the liquid zinc drink.. good luck!

Thanks for that info Cherie, I've got DH on zinc, he just ran out and we were wondering if it actually does anything and if we should bother getting it again. Definately glad we decided to keep going with it now!
    Last edited by Heaven; January 30th, 2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo

Dh started on zinc tablets end of last cycle so we are yet to see if it helps us out. He did however get lots of little pimples on his arms. Very weird!

ETA: I juts thought I would put this in. I found it on the net. A few sites I looked at mentioned it.

Dangers of taking too much Zinc:
    Intake of zinc should be kept to under 100 mg per day as larger amounts may result in nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness and hallucinations. If you would ever take a zinc supplement, take it at night on an empty stomach, as zinc can interfere with the absorption of other minerals (iron and copper). Make sure that the zinc and iron levels are nearly the same amounts when taking a multi-vitamin.
    Last edited by Nadine; January 30th, 2008 at 02:16 PM.

Yep, I got my DH onto zinc tablets a few mths ago! Then he stopped taking them as we cleaned up and we forgot they were there! but now the last few weeks he's been back on them.....
    I take my pills, he takes his! hehe

hi, good luck all you ladies with the ttc, just wanted to add, I work in a pharmacy and usually advise people not to take zinc on an empty stomach as it can cause nausea, I suppose if you take it at night it wouldnt really matter though.
    fingers crossed for you all.

I feed my DH Blackmores Men's Performance tablets, they have zine & other helpful fertility stuff.