Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread Makers/Machines

Question Breadmakers... Are they worth it ??

I was thinking about buying myself a bread maker. It seems at this time of year I always think about it.

So what I am wondering are they worth it, or just something you pull down every so often, too much bother, or a PITA ??

They aren't the cheapest appliance out there so I don't want to waste money if it won't get used.

Also, if you have one, what do you recommend, brand wise, are they affordable and easy enough to use and make your bread in. Are the packets you need to make the bread up expensive ??

TIA

I wouldn't bother with one. I had one years ago and I found I used it madly for about 6 months and then just stopped using it. I found it cheaper and easier to just buy the bread I liked. Everyone I know who has bread makes very rarely use them.

i often think the same thing Trish... i think i just love the smell of fresh bread.. id probably eat and cook way too much if i had a maker of my own

Amelia Guest

My mum has one and has used it once a day for the past 3 years!! She never buys normal bread!!

We have one and use it often not just for bread as there are many things you can make in it. Ours is a sunbeam and came with a great recipe booklet. It makes lovely pizza dough for the yummiest homemade pizza, the banana bread recipe is fab too and the best thing is you can put all the ingredients in it at night set the timer and when you wake in the morning you have loevly warm fresh bread with no preservatives or artificial anything! The only thing is, because it doesn't have all the preservatives and nasty things in it the bread doesn't last like commercial bread does but that's OK because you can set it to make a small loaf only. Happy baking!

Hey Trish,
    DH has been dragging me around to garage sales lately (lol quality family time). I have seen quite a few in pretty much New condition along with the sit up roller machine. DH pointed out the sit up thingy for me pmsl he is such a lovely thing.
    Bec

There's a really good thread about this that was started earlier this year I think... I'll have a look.

We have one and use it mainly in winter. Whether you will use it depends on so many things... it's hard to say. I love the flavour of my own breads... sure you can buy cheaper bread but it's usually full of preservatives and tastes pretty bland (but some people actually prefer it that way I guess).

It is not a cost saving exercise Trish. It is something you do because you like the end result and/or because it's healthier. However I would imagine that people living in isolated farms etc would probably benefit cost wise as good quality bread might be very hard/expenisive to obtain.

I looove the smell mine makes as it's baking too!

PMSL Bec, I hope you gave him a good hit !! Nasty man.

Thanks for your opions girls. So I think it's either a have it and love it thing or use it a couple of times and put it in the back of the cupboard thing. Mum thinks it will end up the later. I'm sure it will get more use in winter than summer too. Who can resist hot fresh bread. MMMMM, will my bum ever forgive me for this

yep, if you love good quality food go for it Trish... but if you are time poor, don't mind commercial breads and don't like cooking much anyhow then don't bother.

So, I bit the bullet and went and got myself a breadmaker this afternoon.

A Sunbeam Quantum Smartbake. It's very nice. Hope it makes bread good

WOOHOO! You won't be disappointed Trish. I love my breadmaker. I make pizza dough at least once a month, you can make your own Jam and when its stew time its great to have fresh pull aparts

I would not be without my breadmaker. And when we run out of bread I'll make my own
    Last edited by christy; August 4th, 2010 at 04:11 PM.

Hopefully I can brag tomorrow about how good my bread is. I will have to go shopping for stuff first.

Do you just use the pre made packs or do you make it from scratch ??

I do both. I have bread flour for when I want to make up various flavours or pizza dough. And I have tip top pre mix for white loaves & rolls. I also buy the yeast in a canister that you keep in the fridge (as it works out cheaper than the sachets) and I also get bread improver which I add a tsp of to my white bread and it lasts longer and tastes better.

Yep, buy bread improver, it really does help. I make it from scratch. I'm even thinking of using organic ingredients which would be better for bubs.

Tip: remove the bread from the container that it's made in as soon as the cycle finishes. With my breadmaker if you leave it in for too long afterwards the steam makes the crust a bit soggy.... so I don't leave it in until brekkie like some people do.... I shake it out as soon as it beeps that it's finished then wrap it in a clean/dry tea-towel on the sink. I have a Breville Excel... it might just be this model... otherwise i'm very happy with it.

Bath that happens with mine too, I think its just a science thing not necessarily a model thing iykwim?
    Last edited by christy; August 4th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.

In the booklet for mine it says to leave it in there for the 60 mintues cooling down as the air blows through it and sops it from getting soggy ???

In standard baking, the baker removes the bread from the pan immediately to keep the crust from turning soggy. However the Quantum Smartbake has a 60 minute keep warm feature which helps remove the hot air from the baking chamber after the bread is done. This keeps the crust from getting soggy. After removing the bread leave to cool for atleast 15 minutes before slicing.
    Or is this just a load of crap ??

Well seems they've fixed the problem LOL! Mine is an older model though... ours just don't have the blow dry (LOL) function!

PMSL, look out, their stepping it up hun

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast