Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread Makers/Machines

Default Bread Makers/Machines

Well thanks to another thread in the recepies section and a member who will remain nameless *Bec* LOL I am sitting here wanting hot freshly made bread ( and being pg I cant get it out of my head hahahaha ) and I thought hmmmmmm well mothers day is coming up and Jeff asked me what I want so I am now thinking a bread maker I have wanted a good one for years but have never been able to afford one but now we can.

So what I want to know is what brand do you have and what do you think of it ?????? and what can you make/do with it, is it easy to use, how long does it take to finish a loaf ???? ( 20 questions LMAO )

that way I can make an informed choice and get a good one that I will like, I have heard that the panasonic one is pretty good but again I am not sure.

TIA
    Last edited by *Elle*; April 10th, 2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling

I'll be watching this with interest too. Good thread hun

oh yum... hot fresh bread! Makes me eat a lot of butter tho! LOL.

I had a very very basic Breville I think. It did the job, I just made plain ol' bread in it. But I found that my tummy bloated heaps with homemade bread, dunno if it was the yeast or what.. but I don't get it with storebought bread. So the breadmaker is in it's box in the garage now.

Yum! I want hot bread now with lots of butter! LOL.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, ROFPMSL, sorry Amy. Ummmm I've got a Sunbeam and it's great. You can make all sorts of things in there not just bread. It does cakes, apple butter, pasta dough etc. Definitely recommend it.

I got given a second hand breadmaker its a breville bakers oven ultimate bb400 about 5-6 yrs old. Its great. It does breads, dooughs, jams etc I love it.

Make sure you get one that has a timer, and has varying sizes of loaves...
    Last edited by christy; August 4th, 2010 at 04:09 PM.

I have no idea what brand it was but my mother's bread maker had a timer so she used to just chuck everything in at night before she went to bed and at sparrow fart it would bake it so that there was hot bread waiting for breakfast *drools*

We had a Breville one for a while. It was pretty basic - you could make bread (duh) and jams. I think bread took about 2.5 hours from the time you put in all the ingredients to the time it had finiahed baking. I always found that it was a bit doughie on the top of the loaf. Dont know if it was just operator error or if the machine wasnt hot enough though.

ooooohhhhh YUP STILL WANT BREAD hehehehehe

BTW this is Becs fault just incase you didnt know

Thanks ladies

Mine is a panasonic and i've had it for over 10 years now and it still works perfectly. Mine has a timer so we put it on the night before and set it for when we will be up.

I only use it every now and then though, its more expensive than store bought bread cause the loaves aren't as long, and as mcuh as I love it fresh hot covered in butter, I find it doesnt last as long abd dried out pretty quick. I also don't use it for sandwiches, i just eat it fresh on the morning or toast it after that.

Its great when you just want to make dough for pizza's or to make little rolls etc. We make the dough in the bread maker and then ashlea can make rolls into all sorts of crazy shapes, then we put bacon and cheese on top and cook them in the oven.

I think they are great to have, but not so much to make daily bread, we use it more as a treat more than an everyday thing. We made bread for easter on the weekend and its sitting on the bench now making me want to use it again

I also have a Breville which I LOVE. I made Fresh bread for lunch on Sat...I put it all in at 9am I think it was and it was done by noon. ANd the smell throughout the house is devine!

You can also do Fresh Jam and so many different kinds of breads or doughs in it. You get a cookbook with it by my mum also bought me another breadmaking machine cookbook so there is heaps of different things you can do. It is also interesting as there must be so many chemicals in shop bought bread , and you dont realise until you see how quickly real bread goes stale!

Ohhhh need to make a loaf now!..

Tigergirl1980 Guest

You're not going to let it go are you Amy? PMSL, I REALLY hope you get one for mother's day

I got one for my 21st, so it's almost 8 years old now. It's a Sunbeam. Does dough, butter,jam and I think it said pasta as well? Will see if i can dig the book out for it.

I like using ours to make loaves for cobb dip. We usually can't get cobb loaves in town, so I make them up in the bread maker.

We don't use it a lot anymore, basically because when you pull it out of the maker it smells so yummy that we just break it up and eat it.

Nic

We have a Breville Excel, Platinum Edition.... haven't used it over summer because it warms up the kitchen a bit and we don't have air con... but looking forward to using it in winter with lots of homemade soups. I agree, it's more of a special treat thing rather than a daily staple. I've experiemented with lots of success in doing flavoured breads too (they usually come with a recipe book) and I made a stollen during that cold spell before Christmas. They are very verstile.

I can't remember who posted about the doughiness on the top of their loaves but that sounds to me like the seal isn't tight and heat is escaping.

I also agree that even though homemade bread does go stale quickly it's kinda better than eating preservatives all the time. Also, if you like bread and butter pudding this is a perfect solution.

The only thing I find a little frustrating with my breadmaker is that the churning device is sometimes tricky to extract from the bottom of the loaf after it is cooked. Otherwize it's all very easy to use. I've never had a failed loaf... they've all been very yummy... good luck!

Amy here's my pizza dough recipe

I have never found ours to be doughy. And you can get bread improver which IMO helps the bread to be less spongy and more fluffy, and also allows it last a little longer its usually around the breads or in the health food section.

I have also got a book called "The bread book" by Sara Lewis. Its a fantastic book.
    Last edited by christy; August 4th, 2010 at 04:09 PM.

We make fresh bread 3-4 times a week. We have the basic breville with a timer and set it to have the bread ready when we get up. Its wonderful to have fresh bread in the morning!!! We have only made bread in it so far & we make the whole wheat variety. I am doing bread rolls tomorrow to go with dinner so I'll let you know then. BTW I got it for Christmas!!!

HAHAHA nope Bec I'm not, I'm still wanting bread and thankyou I to hope I get one for mothers day,

I actually went looking today and they didnt have any ( hariss scarfe ) so will have to have a look at the good guys next visit cause I love them they have everything.

Thanks for all of the recomendations I really appreciate all of your opinions and thoughts.

and thanks Rouge for the recipe I will most deffintely be using that one.

Thanks again everyone
    Last edited by christy; August 4th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

You'd better tell your DH that if he doesn't get you one, I WILL hunt him down, lol.

Nic if you find the book that tells you how to do Butter I would love to know how as mine does not say Butter ....But I would love to try it :-)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast