Thread: Changing your metabolism

Default Changing your metabolism

Well I am really surprised and happy. I read recently about a woman who lost 30 kgs from kickstarting her metabolism without dieting. And I thought I'd give it a go. My new rule is to eat something every 2 hours, I've been doing it for a week and already I've lost 1.5 - 2 kgs (combined with Wii Fit and my metformin).

What have I done? Everyday I have breakfast at about 7:30, then at 10 I have a small snack (usually a handful of pretzels or 3 crackers and 3 small pieces of cheese, a yoghurt etc) then I have a sandwich at 12 (and some days I've only wanted 1/2 a sandwhich), then at 2 I have a handful of almonds or a single serve of hommous & veg or whatever takes my fancy, then at 5:30 I have an apple and then around 7-7:30 I have my dinner. I have found I am NEVER hungry, I am never craving bad foods and when it comes time to eat dinner I am eating less and it is sustaining me for the entire evening rather than having 9 pm sugar cravings. My sugar cravings have dropped to zero (which I know is probably moreso my metformin) but I'm really excited to think that I can do this without calorie counting or low carb. The other thing thats good is that without trying I am automatically going for healthy snacks.

Has anyone else tried this?

that sounds excellent Cai!!

I haven't ever tried to eat that regularly. My days at work are a bit unpredictable, to the point that I sometimes hold on for 2-3 hours before I get time/access to go to the toilet!! let alone eating that regularly. I could always try it on weekends and those quieter days at work. Good on you though!

I am actually doing it at work, I take little snack bags with me of almonds/pretzels (you could probably do the same if you are on the run).

I think it also stops you from over indulging because your body knows more food is coming soon iykwim?

Lea79 Guest

Thats sounds great what you are doing and it sounds so easy but I am the same with the work thing. Because I work in birth suite I can be stuck in the room with a labouring woman for 5 hrs or more at a time and just have to take a meal break when i can otherwise none at all and you cant exactly go snacking in there. I would love to try it but work will be an issue. Its great that its working for you and let us know how your journey goes.

Cheers,

Leanne

Oh that would be hard! I didn't even think of that. I will keep you all posted

Cai, it's a great idea. I do that naturally anyway - I have a really fast metabolism and I can't even go 2 hours without food without being starving, and not long after getting a headache from low blood sugar. But I did read the other day that a new study has shown that eating every 2 hours doesn't have any impact on weight loss. Who knows, but I know you do feel better for it - I do - so I would stick to it if I were you.

Other tips for upping your metabolism are eating a good breakfast, drinking hot water with a couple drops of citrus juice in it in the morning and of course increasing your activity.

GL, be sure to less us know how you are going.

I think what could also be happening is that if you are prepared for snacking then you snack better. Better food and portion choices, than if you waited till you were hungry and went to the nearest vending machine or packet of tim tams. That is what I found when I was on Atkins years ago.

Yeah see I'm in two minds about that one I don't really snack badly anyway (don't really snack at all except for night cravings and thats only occasionally). I'd agree with the portion sizes as when it comes to main meal times I'm not as hungry.

I'm happy with my results so far, will continue and let you know how it goes

I've been doing this for the last 5 weeks or so on the advice of my naturopath. I always start the day with a big glass of lemon juice and water, followed by porridge. Fruit and yoghurt mid morning, sandwich or soup for lunch, crackers and dip for an afternoon snack and then dinner. It has made a huge difference with regards to night time snacking and cravings. I'm rarely hungry, and usually when I am it's because I'm late with one of my snacks. She told me the trick is always to have a carb and protein with each meal. It helps to sustain blood sugar levels and stops the cravings. I have lost about 4kgs so far without really trying. I don't feel like I am on a diet, just making a few small changes here and there. I haven't been depriving myself if I really do have the urge for something a bit naughty, and it seems to be working.
    My problem was that I never snacked. Working full time, I would eat at 7am and then lunch at 1.30, followed by dinner at 7pm (apart from changing cereal, all of these meals are generally the same). So, my problem wasn't bad snacking, it was no snacking. I actually feel like I am eating more, but I would say it has definitely helped my metabolism and significantly reduced my sugar cravings.

Cai, how are you going with this?

I think the snacking concept has some credibility. Like Manta I am a constant snacker... I nibble all day... nuts, crackers, cheese, fruit, whatever the kids don't eat. But I don't eat large meals. When it comes to dinner time i eat about the same size serve as my toddler. I actually can't fit a large portion into my stomach without feel uncomfortable. I'm constantly amazed by the sizes of meals some people are able to pack away... especially now that everyone seems to be eating from super-sized crockery, massive bowls just for cereal etc. We just have old-fashioned nana-sized crockery... I think that makes a huge difference to portion control. Anyhow my metabolism actually got too fast but that's another story. The trick is to snack on healthy things. I've never considered the word "snack" as evil either LOL personally I think it can be a healthier way to eat as long as you don't snack AND have 3 large meals a day as well.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Interesting topic, Cai. My brother (personal trainer) and I actually had a long drawn out discussion about this topic recently and I thought I might give you all a summary of the things he said. I don't know if I'll remember everything though so keep that in mind.

Things that affect your metabolism:

Lack of sleep - the less you sleep, the slower your metabolism. The more broken your sleep, the slower your metabolism. Get good quality sleep if you want to stabilise your metabolism.

Yo yo dieting - everytime you 'starve' your body by dieting, your metabolism slows down. Diet often and your metabolism will be truly slow, and you will find it harder and harder to lose weight each time, and will put it back on faster.

Number of children you have - the more kids a woman has, the slower her metabolism is.

Gender - women's metabolism is slower than men's.

How much and how frequently you eat - eating small, frequent meals does increase your metabolism. A small meal is equivelant to an amount equal to or less than the 2/3 of the size of your clenched fist. The meal should consist of 1/4 veg, 1/4 carbs and 1/2 protein.

Amount of muscle you have - the more muscle you have, the higher your metablism. So while aerobic exercise will burn calories, it doesn't increase your metabolism like 20 mins of resistance exercise 3 times a week does.

Your age - the older you are, the slower your metablism. The best way to counteract this is with resistance exercise.

Amount of water you drink - drinking less than 6 to 8 cups of water will impede your body's ability to dispel toxins and excess nutrients. It also causes you to feel hungry (as the body often confuses thirst with hunger)

Thought it might be of interest to some of you. It's lots of small things we can change about the way we live that can help a sluggish metabolism. Anyway, just my contribution to the thread.

Sushee that info is great!!

Cai, how are you going? I keep meaning to do this but it's really hard... my first goal is trying to get up at the same time every day and eat breakky within the firts half an hour of getting up, but it never happens... i am in desperate need of a kick up the bum!

Sushee, that is such well put together info........I think your brother must have gone to the same "school of personal trainers" as mine did.....her mantras are pretty much identical regarding metabolism.........

Cai? How are you going? xx