... 210111213

thread: Diet and Weight Loss General Support #12

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

One thing that struck me is Michelle Bridges saying that it's 70% diet ... which I find to be quite a revelation. I've always put my energies into sweating it out at the gym, and then am kind of slack with my eating - two great weeks and then a crap one, where I undo most of my good, IYKWIM.

So I'm giving myself a little leeway with the exercise (not much - still aiming for 6 x weekly) but sticking pretty well to the diet.

So just get the my fitness pal on your app, and then use it fastidiously - if you're not pregnant or breastfeeding, assume 1200 calories a day, and go from there.

It's unbelievable how many calories are in some things - you'll find your choices change within days.

And as far as snacking goes, just don't have biscuits, chips, pies, garlic bread icecream, dips, (whatever your soft spots are) in the house. Have tasty but healthier things, like yoghurt, fruit, cucumber, capsicum, cottage cheese, celery, corn thins, potatoes, salsa, hommus, etc.

Sometimes when I think I'm hungry, I just get half a cucumber or some red capsicum and nibble on it, and have a decaf... it really hits the spot. I want some flavour and crunch, and while I could have eaten 6 tim tams without blinking, and then had another 3 tim tam slams, and then polished the rest off to avoid "wasting" them, I've only used 30 calories - instead of 95 calories PER TIM TAM. Yeah, so 12 would be your entire day's calorie intake. Ugh.

Jan 2009

I bought a pilates power gym - I have found muscles that have not been used for a long time......

Oct 2010
    Baldivis, WA

Re: Diet and Weight Loss General Support #12

Wow, I wasn't getting any notifications with this thread since my last post which was a while ago. Hrmm. Odd.

Anyway. Can't believe I jumped on the scales today. Worst weight ever! Now sitting at 94.5kgs despite doctors appointments and diets... I've ruled out any thyroid issues, insulin issues... But I have anxiety and ptsd and the mood might have an effect on where im at with my weight. Im scared my antidepressant will make me gain weight. I'll have to ask the Dr when I see her next. Im going to try and be more active in the mean time and drink more water.

Jan 2007

Diet and Weight Loss General Support #12

purple pixie , it's so hard and I find if my anxiety is up I just don't care and eat what I damn well like. I've not taken ad's but maybe mention your concerns so they choose one without weight increase as a side effect?

I am tracking on MFP- going well but have realised how much just a "few" things can boost me over my calories for the day. Also had a sore eye and no real exercise done other than a bike ride to town.

Determined to lose weight though as DH is in Tokyo and I want him to notice a shift when he gets back!!!!

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

I understand PP, my depression and PTSD (not PND, but sprung from a highly traumatic birth) was the kicker that lead to my latest long term gain - about 40kg in 18 months. Yup.

But I'm 6kg down so far, and quite determined to lose the rest too.

One of the hardest things for me is getting my DH to not let me get away with things - poor eating choices, skipping out of the gym, sitting on the couch instead of sitting on the bike if watching telly, etc. He knows how much I hurt and how much is on my plate, and it's hard for him to make me to the hard yards.

The other hardest thing is trying to acknowledge when I'm making excuses for myself.

Yes I'm tired after work, but I'll actually have more energy if I work out every day. Yes, it's hot but I actually won't die if I walk around the block. Yes, a packet meal or take away is heaps easier, but even the healthiest packet meal or take away is still not nearly as good (health or tastewise) as fresh meat/fish and veggies.

I have to keep telling myself these things, and hopefully, one day in the not too distant future, I will have absorbed them and they will be my new habits

Oct 2010
    Baldivis, WA

Re: Diet and Weight Loss General Support #12

Tanstar how long is your DH in Tokyo for? Im sure he will notice a difference when he gets back!

Peanutter Yes, packet meals are predominately ruling this house at the moment. They are just so easy. So, I was going to do weekly cook ups and freeze meals made from scratch. My dh is away on a 2/1roster. The week he's home routine goes out the window and more often than not we have take away because we are just simply too exhausted to cook.
    It sounds like you're determined. Way to go on the weight loss! Keep it up :-)

So far today, I've had 2 weetbix with milk and a couple of glasses of water. Usually sugar is the killer for me... Usual breakfast consists of 4 weetbix covered in sugar and an orange juice. But I've had no sugar today (yet) wonder if I'll cave. If I drink heaps of water I think I should be okay and it'll curve the cravings somewhat.

Ok. Better plug the x trainer in and have a go on it. Talk soon.

Jan 2007

Diet and Weight Loss General Support #12

PN 6 kgs is awesome!!!! Your post has really helped me focus over the last few days and making better choices!!!

PP his rtn flight now is the 8th but he's hoping to change it to the 1st, he went earlier because his grandfather was really unwell and is turning 100 on the 24th.

Going well here BUT I just ate chinese for dinner , seriously. Am not giving in though just going all out tomorrow, went blueberry picking today and got 4 kgs and they are AMAZING!!!

Jan 2009

One thing that struck me is Michelle Bridges saying that it's 70% diet ...
    Yes I found this - before Christmas I took off about 4.5kg just by changing my diet, I wasn't excercising AT ALL.

I have just done a 40 minute session on the power gym. I love it - yes it hurts, but it's fun at the same time and more gentle on the joints, etc.

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

Finally weighed myself. I have gained back all I lost last year up to 91.5kg.

Frakkity, frak frak frak. So angry at myself right now. Have to get it out though, so I can move on.

Oct 2004

Going through my posts from this time last year as to what I did to lose weight.
    Looks like follow the Weight It Up menus
    No weekends (they were my killer)
    Get up early, get in some Yoga or some other activity. Even 20 minutes seems to make a difference.

Jan 2010
    Shoe Heaven

Yah Astrid for working out ways to get back on track. Not so good for putting on the weight, but I know you can do this and drop the weight again.

Oct 2004

Did a proper weigh in this morning, before eating, after toilet. Down 0.7, so I will be taking that weight as my starting weight (yesterday was afternoon after lunch).
    Will aim to weigh every couple of days. I found last time I lost well during the week, but ruined it on the weekends.

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

I have ben going terribly. Hence the not posting anything. I had been going slowly and steadily. But the last week and a bit has just been a huge slip up, junk fest and I have gained back the little amount of weight I had lost. I am so sick of it. This bloody roller coaster of should I eat it, should I not. I should exercise, I'm so lazy, no wonder I'm fat....yada yada. I *know* what to do. Why can't I just freakin' DO IT??!!!!!

My aim is to get back to it tomorrow.

Oct 2004

3lm - completely get that train of thought. If only the whole "eat less, move more" philosophy was easy implement, but our minds and emotions get in the way.

AFM: loss of 0.8kg in one day. Good start. Just ate well, whilst no serious exercise, I did keep active once home.

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

Great job Astrid!
    Today sucked for me. Although, I only had bacon and scrambled eggs and two home made oat cookies. Maybe not so sucky after all! But still not a great day. I have cleaned for 3 hours straight (yes my house is THAT messy) 5 rooms down and I still have 5 rooms to clean. Man I am so SO down sizing when we move. Give me a caravan.
    So that was my workout for the day. I am hot and sweaty and even got breathless whilst mopping the floors and dancing away to the radio!

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted on BB. Some great work happening .

I have added my weight loss blog in my signature for anyone interested. I have now lost over 38 kilos and am very, very close to my goal weight of 60kg (I was 60kg when I got married). I've had my good days/weeks and bad days/weeks - I've lost, I've gained a bit back, I've lost it again - but overall I feel really good and really on track.

And for anyone who wants to see what losing 35kg+ looks like: (Christmas 2011 to Christmas 2012)

photo.jpg

I always found reading other people's stories and seeing those before and after photos so helpful, so I hope I can help other people too .

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted on BB. Some great work happening .

I have added my weight loss blog in my signature for anyone interested. I have now lost over 38 kilos and am very, very close to my goal weight of 60kg (I was 60kg when I got married). I've had my good days/weeks and bad days/weeks - I've lost, I've gained a bit back, I've lost it again - but overall I feel really good and really on track.

And for anyone who wants to see what losing 35kg+ looks like: (Christmas 2011 to Christmas 2012)

photo.jpg

I always found reading other people's stories and seeing those before and after photos so helpful, so I hope I can help other people too .

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

Nice job, sterla!!

... 210111213