Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kicking the Coffee.....HELP!

~Jane~ Guest

Question Kicking the Coffee.....HELP!

Ok, I know I should have done this a looooong time ago, but I just can't seem to get caffeine out of my diet. I find it really difficult. Have you all given up coffee and cola? The girl who sits next to me is always harping on about green tea but I think this has an effect on folic acid absorption as well and I don't want to replace one problem with another.

What have you done to kick the habit and what kinds of drinks do you have now other than water to keep you satisfied? ( I drink heaps of water)

Cheers

Hi Jane!!

I gave up the coffee prior to starting IVF. I used to drink 2 cups prior to work (that was my breakfast) and then however many cups during work in between operating (often because there was no time for food....)

I used to have 2 spoons of coffee in each cup, so I first dropped that to one spoon caffenaited and one decaf, and eventually had only decaf. Then I stopped having coffee at work, and IF I did, I would have a decaf latte. Today, (almost 2 yrs later) I don't miss the caffeine, and did it help conceive Tomas??? - who knows....... (but we would try anything....).

I was never much of a cola drinker, so that was not really an issue.

Herbal teas are great, but not all safe for TTC.

Best of luck!

(I drink about 3L+ of mineral water each day)

~Jane~ Guest

Thanks Gabby, I really want to achieve this before I start IVF as I think I will have enough to worry about without caffeine withdrawals IYKWIM

I think I am going to have to cut back or I will have one heck of a headache, I have gradually cut back the diet coke over the last week, but have still been having coffee and tea. The plain mineral water is a good idea, I like bubbles after lunch to fill me up, thus the diet coke addiction as well.

I will have to do some reseach about the herbal teas too as I didn't know some were not good during TTC.

Has everyone else managed to give it up or are some of you a bit naughty like me?

Cheers

Jane

Sorry I'm not a coffee or coke drinker. I do like a herbal tea and have been drinking Green Tea.

I'm TTC as well. What herbal teas are safe?

Jane, I'm probably one of the naughty ones.
    I am a tea drinker, have not stopped, but just cut down when I have to.
    Same for the choccie as well. And my diet coke.
    When not in TWW I cut my tea down to the one in the morning, then I have milo in the arvo.
    I cut down my DC as well, usually it's 1 day so I'll have one just now & then or when I'm being social.
    A couple of cycles I've got Caffeine free DC, I don't mind that but it's harder to find, not all the shops have it.
    And if I really want choccie, I'll have it.
    And I think sometimes I am just a bit 'high & mighty"? and think 'why should I have to do that anyway'.

Good luck on how far you go with the cut down/out. And most of all lots of luck with TTC.

Jano

I guess i am lucky, i have never liked coffee or tea, but was a total diet coke, pepsi max addict.. i remember when I used to work at RPA Hospital in Sydney and one of the doctors told me i should just walk around with an IV in with diet coke passing through it!! LOL.. i never ate just drank coke and smoked like a chimney.. Thank God both of those habbits are long gone, although every now and then i have a naughty moment and spluge on a can of diet coke or pepsi max...

You might ask how i gave up ... cold turkey.. the only way i could do it!! Good luck love Leis xx

~Jane~ Guest

Today's the day......I am going to try and do it. No early morning coffee on the way to work and no coke zero at lunch time. Don't know how I'll go with the cups of tea but if I can kick those other two first that's a start.

I am going to get stuck into the mineral water.

good luck jano xx

Jane, best of luck. DH and I both had to kick the caffine habit when we were in our long 3 years of TTC (before Olivia), and we both found it tough. However, honestly, the 1st 3 days are the worse......it is so much easier after that. So if you are feeling really awful, just reassure yoruself it is only 3 days, then you feel progressively better as each day goes by.......

I found fresh juices the best "treat" as a replacement.......thank God for Boost!

Percy Guest

I'm not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like my diet coke. I don't drink that much - maybe two cans a week. Can someone tell me why its so bad for conception? I know that coke is bad full stop and I shouldn't be drinking it at all but am just wondering why its bad?

Thanks!

~Jane~ Guest

I read somewhere that it overworks the adrenal glands which interfere with your hormones, although I would need to double check that info. I wouldn't think a couple of cans a week would be too bad though. I was having coffee, tea and diet coke everyday (all three). I am doing well so far, I only had a cup of tea this morning and plan on just cutting out coke and coffee this week and cutting tea out next week instead of all at one.

I am going to have one coffee a week though on a Sat as a treat. I reckon I am going to save a fortune LOL

My MIL is a dietician, and she suggested to me that there has been studies to indicate that too much caffine in the bloodstream affects a potential fertilised eggs ability to implant in the uterine wall, as high levels of caffine affect these tissues.........

I am going to have one coffee a week though on a Sat as a treat
    LOL, I used to do this.....we would have brekky out once a week and that would be when I had my "treat coffee" and OMG, it was lovely!

Percy Guest

hmmm ok thanks girls! I think I will try to cut back anyways - you never know what might help!

Good Luck Jane!!

~Jane~ Guest

Well, I did it, I lasted one whole day - unless I cave in before bed time. I officially had one cup of tea, I did make another one but got interupted and it went cold. I also had a mineral water instead of diet coke and I was just as happy.

Lucy - that's really interesting and doesn't surprise me, all the more reason to give it the flick

Good luck Percy, we can kick it at the same time.

Thanks everyone, it has helped me enormously.

Hi Jane; How are you going with giving up the coffee?

I have heard that there is a difference between coffee you make a home compared to the coffee you get which is made at a coffee shop or if your grounding the beans yourself, its meant to be a lot stronger. So that the out of the tin/jar coffee is less strong than the others. One cup of ground up is equal to about 2 of the other type?? Is this right or have I been misinformed?

I dont have any coke or anything unless its a special occasions, choccky if i get the craving once a month, but my weakness is coffee. Used to be 7-8 cups a day last year.i have cut down to now about 2 -3 cups of normal a day. but it varies each day. Might only be 1 a day.

Hello I hope you don't mind me popping in here. I just wanted to say when I was TTC Nicholas and Declan (and ~Matthew~) I did keep drinking coffee although I only had my one cup in the morning. (I couldn't wake up and function otherwise ) I also did have 1 cup of green tea a day too as I read it can help increase EWCM. I guess like with most things, if you have it in moderation it should be ok.

Good luck t everyone with your TTC journey. I really hope we some BFPs from all of you soon.

Ok I will leave now, sorry to interupt.

~Jane~ Guest

Hi everyone

I have been soooooo good, I have only caved the once, on Wednesday just gone I started work an hour early and had heaps on so I grabbed a latte on the way in. Other than that I have stuck with it and I have not had diet coke at all.
    Cheers

Jane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast